Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still getting rust

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Ed's Red is fine to finish up, but water is needed to fully neutralize the salts of nitrate.
    Probably why it works for me. I haven't used real black for more than 40 years.

Boolit Master

Warm, soapy water and a wire brush to start. Then warm clear water with patches until no trace of residue remains. Then the wire brush again along with patches and clean HOT water. When I'm sure the barrel is clean, I run WD40 patches down the barrel with just enough sprayed into the barrel to mist out of the flash hole or cap nipple. Then I dry patch once to remove the excess. This has worked for me for the last 50 years, so I'm not gonna change now! Never any rust in my barrels.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm really against hot water in a barrel. Sets fouling harder, and since I quit using it years ago, no flash rusting.

For those using patches to dry the bore, use pieces of paper towel instead. Much better job done quicker. The quicker picker upper!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I always used Baking Soda and water. Mix it until it's a murky water, use a few patches with it, then some clean patches.
    Follow this up with a couple patches of Marvel Mystery Oil. I also use this oil as a whole wipe down, leaving a light film.
    The Soda kills all the Ph in the powder, and the oil preserves.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    I just had to deal with the same problem. One of my Kentucky pistols had some rust forming in the barrel so I went after it with a bronze brush, warm water and dish washing soap. Got most of it scrubbed out but there was a residue of rust I couldn't move. Went back in with the brush and a little liquid CLR cleaner which looks like it pulled the residue out. After that I swabbed with a soapy patch, rinsed the barrel then hit it with a spray of Rem oil and a couple patches. So far it looks good.

Boolit Master
    Everybody cleans their barrels different as do I. Just saying: I'm not anal about flash rust nor do I make a custom concoction to coat the bores with.
    After a detergent soap wash & tap water rinse. Than I simply melt a little Ox Yoke Wonder Lube in a tuna can and cleaning patch apply to the bores. Not bloviating here but I have a rifle or two here that have never been shot/fired but did have had their barrels cleaned as a preventive long ago. No doubt their bores coated with patch lube {only once} such bores are as bright and shinny today as they were on the day of there purchase_early (80s)

A tid bit of a Tip: After every use. Clean the barrel _no excuse's for not do'ing.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by masscaster View Post
    I always used Baking Soda and water. Mix it until it's a murky water, use a few patches with it, then some clean patches.
    Follow this up with a couple patches of Marvel Mystery Oil. I also use this oil as a whole wipe down, leaving a light film.
    The Soda kills all the Ph in the powder, and the oil preserves.

Jeff
    Baking soda is salt.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Wow never knew there was so many says to clean a muzzleloader??? For years it was Murphy soap and water,then came barstol and water.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 08-29-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Seems that Breakfree Collector is better than Kroil, especially for long term storage so I'm going to be using it instead.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm really against hot water in a barrel. Sets fouling harder, and since I quit using it years ago, no flash rusting.

For those using patches to dry the bore, use pieces of paper towel instead. Much better job done quicker. The quicker picker upper!
    I am with you! Stopped using warm or hot water long ago. In winter I use slightly warmer then plain cold water just so my hands don't freeze.

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt it helps the VEARL, but has anyone else noticed increased rust this year? I don't have air conditioning, so it does get hot in the house from time to time. Every year there is a time, usually in July, where I have to oil ALL guns whether I've shot them or not. After that one and only time I never have to clean them again until I shoot them without problems. This year has been horrible. I have not changed a thing, yet I am getting rust. I do not let the rust set in, but I've now oiled everything I own in June, twice in July, August, and now I'm noticing a rust thumb print on a shotgun I handled, but did not shoot two weeks ago.

Either my CorrosionX expired, or it is TROPICAL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I doubt it helps the VEARL, but has anyone else noticed increased rust this year? I don't have air conditioning, so it does get hot in the house from time to time. Every year there is a time, usually in July, where I have to oil ALL guns whether I've shot them or not. After that one and only time I never have to clean them again until I shoot them without problems. This year has been horrible. I have not changed a thing, yet I am getting rust. I do not let the rust set in, but I've now oiled everything I own in June, twice in July, August, and now I'm noticing a rust thumb print on a shotgun I handled, but did not shoot two weeks ago.

Either my CorrosionX expired, or it is TROPICAL.
    I once noticed that all of the firearms that I had recently used started to rust. I later found out that my friend had poisoned hands. Some kind of acid was excreted in his sweat and any ferrous metal that he touched rusted quickly! It was so bad that I had to pound fired brass out of his Ruger #1 in 22-250. From handling the cartridges, the acid had rusted the chamber and when he fired it the roughness of the chamber locked the brass in place. He can't handle firearms with out gloves now. He is banned from touching my firearms period!

Boolit Grand Master

I sure hope I haven't turned acidic!

I cover mine in Boiled linseed oil then wipe it down leaving a thin coat and I.ve never had a rust problem..

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I once noticed that all of the firearms that I had recently used started to rust. I later found out that my friend had poisoned hands. Some kind of acid was excreted in his sweat and any ferrous metal that he touched rusted quickly! It was so bad that I had to pound fired brass out of his Ruger #1 in 22-250. From handling the cartridges, the acid had rusted the chamber and when he fired it the roughness of the chamber locked the brass in place. He can't handle firearms with out gloves now. He is banned from touching my firearms period!
    That's a real thing. I've had idiots stick their fingers in the muzzle guns at gun shows. I run them off in short order. I never understood why people do that to other people's guns.

Boolit Master
    My so many ways people combat rust inside a barrel. Very interesting.

Fly

Boolit Master
    My cleaning protocol, for guns with detachable barrels: I take them into the shower with me along with the cleaning rod and a fistful of patches. "And away go troubles, down the drain."

Boolit Master
    Tmi..,..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I guess everybody's got their own method. Here's mine. Pump warm soapy water thru the barrel using a snug fitting patch, then rinse with hot water. Next run a few dry patches thru the barrel to dry it. You do get some flash rust at this point. To completely dry the barrel I run an alcohol soaked patch thru the barrel and the a couple dry patches. At this point, the barrel is still warm and I lube it with bore butter. Been working for me for a long time.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Master
    For long term storage I patch and wipe down all the metal with 5/30 wt motor oil. For cleaning I bronze brush two or three strokes with dish washing detergent and warm water then run patches until they come out clean. After that I'll oil the bore with Rem oil or motor oil depending on how long I'm storing the fire arm. I'm storing everything in the house so it gets AC which also keeps the rust down. I also will check the bore for rust 3-4 days after cleaning just to make sure I did it right and peace of mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast