Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO ready to run me off the silhouette range.. Boom.

Boolit Master

RO ready to run me off the silhouette range.. Boom.

I was shooting my Contender with 10" .41 mag barrel. It's the loudest round I shoot there. Load was 20gr H110 with a 210 gr bullet. The H110 has a loud report with on odd sense of concussion to it. Hard to describe.

RO raced his golf cart over and in a red faced mode proceeded to explain that rifle cartridges even in a handgun were not allowed and he wanted me off of the range (handgun cartridges, rimfire only). I told him it was a .41 mag with a cast bullet. He was totally shocked. He said that was about the loudest handgun he had heard there and figured I was shooting a rifle cartridge (which would be against the written rules). He had to hang around just to listen to the .41. Actually made him smile. He said he liked loud cars and loud guns.. I got to keep shooting. If anything is louder than a .41 with a stout load of H110 I don't own it.
    Last edited by arlon; 08-27-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess not many shoot 4” .44 magnum 240 gr over 23 gr H110? A 10” bbl. should attenuate some of that blast.

Not sure I’ve ever been next to a .41 mag but don’t see why it would be louder than a short barrel .44 or one of the short .454. It was probably the longish for pistol barrel that started him thinking it was a rifle cartridge.

Boolit Master

I was out shooting with my brother about 39 years ago and we had my 6" S&W .41 magnum Model 57. It was just about sunset and very dim light where we were shooting. The load of 21 grains of H110 and a Speer 200 grains SJHP was pushing a flame about 3 feet long out of the barrel and lighting up the area quite nicely. My brother had not been back from Vietnam that long and he looked at me after the first cylinder and remarked, "we had those in vietnam but they had wheels on them". I still think about that every time I light that .41 off. Great powder for the .41 though. james

Super Moderator

Has anyone ever been standing close to someone shooting a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine loaded with 296/H110? That one will ring your ears like no tomorrow. Does a pretty decent job as a flame thrower too.

Banned
    Louder than a Blackhawk in .30 carbine?

That IS impressive.

I will add shooting a .41 magnum to my bucket list.

A .45c with 24.0 gns of h110 and a 260gn bullet will wake the dead.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Our RO is real touchy about people tearing up his pistol range too.

But when he sees your in compliance, he's all smiles, and you're friends again.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Never shot the 30 carbine Ruger or even been near one. I did have a 10" 30 carbine barrel for the TC but don't
    recall it being as loud as the .41. Recently got another 30 carbine barrel but haven't shot it yet. I think on our range 30 carbine would be considered a rifle round anyway so no silhouette shooting with it.
    Last edited by arlon; 08-25-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Master

I use to get a lot of looks at the indoor range with my 14" Contender 357 Max with brake now that was loud
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Ok, I'll put my XP 100, 221 fireball up against anything for painful muzzle blast. It's so obnoxious, I can't stand myself....

Boolit Master
    Ive noticed H110/296 has a sort of afterburn making a big flash and a sharp crack.....

For .45 Colt, the Lyman #454190 over 296 (H110) can make an incredibly accurate Ruger load for the first cylinder full.

And I just picked up the Lyman gas checked version of that bullet. Now if I only had a Ruger...

Boolit Master
    At the Sheriff Office range I suspect that we are blessed. The pistol range is only 50 yards, but if no one is in front of the bench we can shoot what we want. The rifle range is 168 yards, and again we can shoot what we want. When someone is shooting at the rifle range the pistol range is closed for about an hour, then the RO will close the rifle range so we can shoot at the pistol range. As hot as it's been nobody really cares, as the heat will beat you down in short order.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

TNsailorman, that's accurate and funny post. Still laughing over that. Thanks for the laugh.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rookies

Back when I was shooting silhouette, I had a 44/284 I built on an XP100 action. 13" barrel. Loaded with 65 gr H335 and a 240gr bullet, it would put out a coke bottle shaped fireball about six feet long!!
    First match I shot it at, people were wondering whose gun blew up. Guy next to me left his shooting spot, refused to shoot next to it . Many wanted it banned.
    Oh, had a muzzle brake on it. Afraid to shoot it without,as I didn't want to break my stock or hand!!. IIRC the 240 gr was traveling just over 2100 fps and would just about pick up the rams and slap them down.
    I built it cause I rang a pig with a 7-08 and one fellow walked by laughing saying "more powder, bigger bullet", so thats what I did.

Ruger carbine pistol using military ball---pretty fierce there

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm, I have a bunch of surplus 30 carbine ball. I'll have to go test it in the barrel I just got.

Boolit Buddy
    30 carbine in a ruger blackhawk is VERY loud!

Boolit Master
    Try 16.7 grains of h110 and a 158 grain lee round nose, in a coonan 357 magnum semi auto. That is a VERY loud load.
    I use a magnum primer, and they are PC sized to 358.
    Makes for an amazing light show in low light.

Boolit Grand Master

Boy am I glad I don't have to deal with ranges like that.

I keep seeing mention of the 30 carbine Blackhawk. While I've never shot one personally, my 327 federals should be a close comparison. Even from the 3" SP101, the report is nothing spectacular. Loud for sure, but I can tell very little difference between that and a 357 mag, 41 mag, or 44 mag loaded similarly. In a 10" contender, I'm not sure how the RO couldn't tell. A 308 Winchester in a 15" Encore is a big step up in blast. While most of the magnum handguns sound about the same, the 357 maximum produces an obnoxious blast about like a 454 casull. It's not so much loud as it is the feeling you got slapped in the forehead.

As far as Contenders go, the 7-30 Waters is the most obnoxious thing I've shot. Something about the pitch of it.

(my 358JDJ with compensator isn't as annoying)
    Former cylindersmith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast