Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling gun parts

Boolit Bub

Selling gun parts

I recently bought a bunch of miscellaneous gun parts at an estate sale. I have about 10 lbs or so of mixed parts: triggers, sears, firing pins, extractors, etc.I'm unable to tell what guns they fit, so I plan to sell them as a lot to someone or to one of the companies that specialize in gun parts.
    Has anyone here sold parts to any of the major gun parts dealers, like Numerich, Jack First, or others? I'm trying to find the one who would give me the best price. I'm not expecting to make a killing here, but I would like a fair price. For example, I have a bunch of front and rear sight parts: front sights and ramps,and rear sights and elevators. There are about 85 pieces in all. Would I be unreasonable to expect $85.00 or more for all of them (basically a dollar apiece),or would they offer me $25.00?
    I could list them on eBay, but since I don't know what they are, I wouldn't expect people to bid much for them.It's the same with listing them here in Swap 'N Sell.Since I don't know what they are, I can't really describe them well.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Rick W

USMC 77, USRA 79

well sir, best thing to do is get yourself a good wide table or something, spread out te lot you want to sell on it, and then take about 4 pictures of the lot and place it in swap and sell... auction it off here !!!! pretty easy to sell via auction here....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Get a few old coot gun nuts to take a look at your parts. They might be able to identify some of it for you.

I would be careful selling to the parts houses.
    Example:
    I bought a wrench for the gas system for my Egyptian Hakim about 35 years ago. The minimum purchase was $10 so I had to buy a few other parts to get up to the $10 limit. I got a front and rear band, a gas, screw, a bayonet lug and the screw to mount the bayonet lug for another $7 or $8. Two weeks ago a guy gave me $75 for the 2 bands and the bayonet lug. I only paid $100 for the complete rifle back then. So now I have about $28 in it. Some day I may sell a few more parts at today's inflated prices and I will have $0 tied up in the Hakim.

I also bought a Japanese Type I Carcano rifle for $85. It was bubbaed so I got it cheap even though the metal was in excellent shape.
    About 5 or 6 years later I finally noticed the sling on it was some sort of rubberized canvas. Turns out it was rare and in demand by collectors.
    It sold on Ebay for $400...and I still have the rifle to shoot.

You often never know what some of that stuff might bring.
    Last edited by EDG; 08-25-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    EDG

Rick, I sold a 1903-A3 to Numerich some years ago. They paid 20 bucks. Had I known about their very low purchase pricing, I sure would have sold it locally. Also I had no idea what they were paying until the check arrived.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the responses. I may try the Swap 'N sell after all.
    I did try to sell some parts from a SMLE and the receiver to a Stevens Visible Loader to Numerich some years ago. I was surprised at how little they offered, and didn't accept their offer. That's why I asked if anyone had sold parts to any of the other parts dealers.
    Numerich did return my parts.
    Rick

Marcopolo has the best idea IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd do research to find out what ya got.

After you sell something for $3.
    It's too late to call it back when ya find out later it was worth $50.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Are there any local Gunsmiths in your area. ( Not Parts Changers )
    Take them over to them, and see what they will give you for them, or at least give you an Idea what they are.
    Years back I use to pick up boxes of old parts, and then I used them or modified them to something I could use especially the sights.

We all have parts that someone needs. You just need to put them out for folks to see. I should do the same.....

Boolit Bub
    Take a bunch of pictures and post them here. I am sure all the minds here would help identify the items and then you would know what you had and could price accordingly.

I got a bucket of parts and sights from an estate auction a while back. Even found a Mauser action in the bucket when I got home. The action and a few other Mauser parts went to a local guy. The rest I took my time and found makes and models of most of what I had. Then I could price accordingly, or if no takers, off to eBay it would go.

Just yesterday, I was at an estate auction, Ended up as high bidder and walked away with a Redfield #75 peep sight. Cost me all of $5. Nobody else even knew what it was.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
    Last edited by cat-mechanic; 08-26-2019 at 01:50 AM.

I second cat mechanics idea. Take a sheet of paper and put columns of numbers and lay parts next to the number. Post a pick asking for help and we'll call out what we know. Hard part will be keeping the parts straight once you've taken them off the paper. Maybe bag them as groups and don't repeat numbers to help keep them straight.

Be careful not to offer to sell though because sales adds, and public offers to buy outside the selling section are prohibited. However, according to my understanding, if someone messages you privately and agreement is met, that is acceptable.

Boolit Grand Master

On parts...If you really need it it is worth a fortune, if yo don't it's junk. Many years ago I picked up a box of parts at an auction for $5, in there was an old rusty 303 magazine with no spring. 40 years later I cut it down to match a Lee Speed and when I put up a picture a fellow as inscenced as I had cut up rare history worth $100.

So it goes

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Sell what you can here, put the rest on Ebay. Some things sell high, some sale low on Ebay. Just be aware of fees so you price the starting bid high enough to cover your expense.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    On parts...If you really need it it is worth a fortune, if yo don't it's junk. Many years ago I picked up a box of parts at an auction for $5, in there was an old rusty 303 magazine with no spring. 40 years later I cut it down to match a Lee Speed and when I put up a picture a fellow as inscenced as I had cut up rare history worth $100.

So it goes
    Had a similar episode as well.
    Bought sight unseen three boxes of magazines(2 boxes) and parts(1 box).
    Magazines were early(30's) American Rifleman-seller had sort of described them as such so not a surprise.
    The box of parts was that for sure.
    Two of which I tried to get identified here and following up with the information obtained discovered.
    Two bolt bodies, one bolt body was for an 03A4 the other a modified 1917 bolt body.
    Sold the 03A4 bolt body for roughly 5 times what I paid for the whole lot.
    It doesn't cost anything to sell here on cast boolits so in little groups you may just do well here.
    You might also trade into something you can use thereby utilizing cost avoidance for both parties-always a good thing.

The parts houses will give you pennies on the dollar. Great advice above. Do your homework, especially on the sights as some are really valuable. There are good resources online. Sell the more valuable pieces individually ( here or on another site) and then sell the rest as a lot.

Moderator Emeritus

Are these parts new, or rusty old junk?

It would seem to me, that a gunsmith (or former gunsmith) would have new parts in marked bags or in a organizer drawer type thing. Then they would have junk, worn parts, and take-offs in a big mixed up unmarked box.

From what little info you have told us about these parts, I suspect it's rusty old junk, that isn't worth the time to attempt to sell individually to someone looking for that one part they desperately need and are willing to pay market value.

Knowing what you got, is important as to what advice I'd give you. If I was in your shoes, I'd get a table at a local gunshow, and attempt to get a education.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I'm setting on a lot of used parts myself. I sold some to Numerich once. Pennies on the dollar. Ill sell them for scrap weight before I sell them to parts outfits.

Boolit Master
    $ 20.00 a ton is what scrap streel is going for.
    Weigh the parts and see where you are at ?

Boolit Bub
    Most of the parts I bought were in a plastic bag labelled "gun parts". They were probably put there by the estate sale staff, who obviously didn't know what they were. Some of the other parts were in two parts cabinets I bought. They were mixed in with other stuff, including the Dremel cutters that were the reason I bought them.Only a few of the parts were labelled.
    Most of the parts are used, but none are rusty.I'm assuming that most can be used, but I don't know.
    Here is a picture of some of the parts. I just pulled some of them out of the bag and took a picture. If anyone can identify any of them, please let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	247417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	247418
    Please note that I'm NOT fishing for offers or asking for values on any of these parts. I just want to identify them.
    After I identify them,I plan to post them in the Swap 'N Sell, so everyone can have a chance at them.
    Thanks,
    Rick

I see 4 S&W revolver main springs, 2 Remington 870 firing pins, and a Remington 700 bolt shroud- I think.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast