Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 8mm ammo

Boolit Master

8mm ammo

My son is helping a widow sell her husbands gun collection. Included in the stuff is a ton of 8mm Mauser ammo - maker unknown. Here is a picture - anyone have a clue?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mmMauserAmmo.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	247311
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

The "nny" is the identifier if you can't read Cyrillic.....it was made at Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice 31000, Yugoslavia. It is 7.9 ammunition (we call it 8x57 Mauser) they made for the Yugo M48s and M24/47s along with other military arms they used of that cartridge.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Looks to yugo . Use only in bolt guns. Its a little hot for a semi auto

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Looks to yugo . Use only in bolt guns. Its a little hot for a semi auto
    It says: 15 pcs of 7,9 ammo (8x57) with universal bullet and brass case.

It was used in Yugoslavian version of Dragunov sniper semiautomatic scoped rifle, M76.
    Berdan primer ammo, non reloadable. Probably old mercury primers, must clean rifle after each use.
    PPU Prvi Partizan Užice

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    It says: 15 pcs of 7,9 ammo (8x57) with universal bullet and brass case.

It was used in Yugoslavian version of Dragunov sniper semiautomatic scoped rifle, M76.
    Berdan primer ammo, non reloadable. Probably old mercury primers, must clean rifle after each use.
    PPU Prvi Partizan Užice
    https://www.countrywidesports.com/sp...of-900-rounds/

As I said....

Good ammo. Corrosive primed. Clean your gun after use. 196gr bullet is too heavy for constant use in Romanian PSL. You can probably get $5per box of 15 if sold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Good ammo. Corrosive primed. Clean your gun after use. 196gr bullet is too heavy for constant use in Romanian PSL. You can probably get $5per box of 15 if sold.

I'd put it at significantly more than that. It's great stuff, I've shot thousands of rounds without an issue although I've heard stories about some lots of brass being brittle and cracking. I've never had that happen nor had any failures to fire. I think it'd be fine in a semi, it's the turk stuff that's problematic. It is corrosive though, although not as bad as the comblock or Chinese stuff.

If I could find it anywhere near that cheap I'd buy every last round I could find.

Boolit Master
    I have identically-labeled ammo. It is headstamped nny 1978. In my 98k Yugo-refurbed rifle it is very accurate. It is Berdan primed, corrosive so clean accordingly. Check your batch to make sure, but the jacket on mine does not attract a magnet, allowing use on ranges that restrict magnetic ammo. It was also sold as "match" and "sniper" ammo and sells for more than run-of-the-mill surplus. It's at the top of the heap for surplus 8x57mm.

The Yugo ammo known for splitting cases was 1950s-dated. I had some of it too and did split a case down the side to the primer pocket. Fortunately the 98 action did what it was supposed to do so I got some gas on the forehead and cheek but no serious damage to me (primarily because I was wearing safety glasses), but it did etch a mark on the bolt face. I pulled the rest of it down to load in modern commercial cases. The label of mine was dated 11-1955

I went through a couple of cases of it that was dated in the 1950s. Other than a split neck or two, I never had any problems with it. Also I loved that inside every box were three proper steel stripper clips!
    The best 8 mm Surplus Ammo I ever had was Portuguese FNM 1970s dated. It was quite accurate and non-corrosive.

Boolit Buddy
    "nny" in Cyrillic equals PPU in our alphabet.

Banned

If the primer sealant is green they are reloadable boxer primed. I had a bunch of the 8mm Yugo from the 80's. As long as the sealant was green it was reloadable. Otherwise it was red to orange colored it was berdan primed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I went through a couple of cases of it that was dated in the 1950s. Other than a split neck or two, I never had any problems with it. Also I loved that inside every box were three proper steel stripper clips!
    None of mine every came with stripper clips.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk Daddy View Post
    "nny" in Cyrillic equals PPU in our alphabet.
    Correct which is where the head stamp "nny" comes from;

Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice 31000
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Corrosive, probably yes. Mercuric? No. To my knowledge nobody made a mercuric primer post-1900 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Corrosive, probably yes. Mercuric? No. To my knowledge nobody made a mercuric primer post-1900 ish.
    Yes you are right. I made a wrong assumption.

Boolit Master

I just tore down 36 rounds of Yugoslav 8 mm today. I reduced the charges by 10% then reloaded them into boxer primed cases. Tomorrow I'll be going to the range to do some shooting and I'll take the empty brass with me. A set of vice grips and a torch will take care of the corrosive primers, then its off to the scrap bin for the brass. I don't shoot corrosive primers if I can avoid it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    None of mine every came with stripper clips.
    All that I have seen with the clips was 50's dated though I had one case dated 1959 that didn't have them. All the later 70's stuff was packed without clips. Never saw any from the 60's or before so don't know about them

That is meant for M48 Mausers. The later dated ammo could be used in semi autos like the M76.

Boolit Master
    Some of the Yugo ammo was terrible stuff. Loaded real hot, and poor quality cases that corrode on the inside too. When you fire it, the case could come apart spewing hot gasses and debris back into your face, arms, etc. it is probaly best to just sell it as a cartridge collector item and not try to shoot it. About the only thing salvageable with the ammunition is the bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have found issues like Earlwb discribed with lots of Mil Surp ammo.
    Being a reloader , I just pulled down the ammo and saved all the components.
    I reused the bullets and powder in boxer primed cases with a consistent powder slightly reduced loading.
    And I used the poorer quality Berdan cases and primers with cast boolit loads .
    They worked fine for the one plinking loading on the case then I would just throw out the case.
    It made for some very econical loading for less common calibers.