Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: .44 special load........

Boolit Master

.44 special load........

Anybody ever use TiteGroup in the .44 special?
    Thought I saw info on different cast bullet loads
    for this powder. Thanks for any info....
    Denny

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Anybody ever use TiteGroup in the .44 special?
    Thought I saw info on different cast bullet loads
    for this powder. Thanks for any info....
    Denny
    Yes , but right off hand I don't remember the exact load I used . Works very well but not better than Unique in my opinion . Was in the 5-6 grain with a 240 gr LSWC area . I loaded 1000 rounds for my Cimarron 4 3/4" and it really likes it but my 2nd mod HE Smith not so much .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    I ran a box of round nose 200 grain boolits, (IIRC 429-478 is the Lyman nomenclature), over 5.0 grains of Titegroup. They went bang, made holes in the target, but were not as accurate as the Bullseye or Reddot loads I normally use.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Sidebar: I'm loading up Unique and Universal loads tomorrow to do a side-by-side comparison.

Boolit Buddy

5.5 gr. Of Red Dot with a 200gr. Bullet is a favorite of mine in the .44 Special.

Boolit Master
    Titegroup is worth a try in your gun. I had good accuracy results with it using the 215 grain Lee SWC some years ago. I've also used it with the 200 grain SAECO flat nose. Accuracy was inferior to Bullseye.

I'm sure they have the data for Titegroup and the .44 on the bottle it comes in. I'm trying it with my next batch of .44 Special with the Lee 200 grain RF.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I ran a box of round nose 200 grain boolits, (IIRC 429-478 is the Lyman nomenclature), over 5.0 grains of Titegroup. They went bang, made holes in the target, but were not as accurate as the Bullseye or Reddot loads I normally use.

This is not a very common Ideal mold. At least I do not run across it often. I have a thing for old and odd molds.
    The picture associated with this mold description might show a hollow base or maybe a slight concave base. I am not sure as the quality of the image is poor. Does your mold have this hollow base design?
    429478 A heavier conical bullet designed for the .44 calibers. (PB, ? - TP is 251)
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    No, mine does not. It is a 2 cavity ideal mold, that casts an alleged 210 grain round nose boolit, though, IIRC, mine run closer to 200 grains. It is a plain base, round-nose design, having two squarish lube grooves.
    My recollection is that the 429-478 was originally available in the early 60's, but only for a few years--it may have been a number that was re-used from an older design that had been discontinued. According to a chart in the Lyman 46th Reloading Handbook, it only appeared in the 41st and 42nd editions,( the 42nd came out in 1960.) It was not in the 39th, 1953 edition, but it closely resembles the 429-215 design, not the 431-215 that we are all familiar with, but a 205 grain round nose plain base which was depicted on page 97. The Ray Thompson gas-check design is listed on the following page. I suspect that the boolit I have was simply the earlier, round-nose version re-named to eliminate the confusion between the two molds.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Titegroup has become a personal powder of choice for all my light revolver and pistol loads.

The load I am using for .44 Special (7 different .44 Special dedicated revolvers) is:

4.1 Titegroup
    200 cast RNFP or SWC.

These are really sweet and run about 685 to 725 fps. Been loading and shooting that load for over a year.

I started out using 4.5 gr. Titegroup and worked my way down to the 4.1 and held fast. Have gotten too old to enjoy being kicked any more and this load is very mild.

Boolit Master

The Ideal #429215 - 210gr RN was an old mold for the .44 Russian. In the early 1950's it gave up It's mold # to the Thompson .44 - 215gr GC and was assigned the new #429478.

My DAD had a Ideal 4cav mold #429215 that dropped a .44 - 210gr RN. I bought the same mold numbered #429478 at the Lyman Factory Store in 1974. Only the 2cav was available. Bought another 2cav mold from Buffalo Arms in the late 1990's. Special run I guess.

It was my go to Bullet for 20+yrs of Cowboy Shooting in my Colt SAA's in .44Spl.
    First with Bullseye, then TiteGroup when it came out.
    My load was 4.0grs of TiteGroup, under that Lyman #429478 cast of 50/50 COWW/Lyman#2.

That TiteGroup load was right in line with the Hodgdon Cowboy Action Shooting Loading Pamphlet from 01/2003; .44Spl, 200gr bullet over 3.8grs to 5.4grs of Titegroup.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

My go to powder for loads in the 800 to 1,100 fps in 38,357,44 mag,45lc & the 454 casull with excellent accuracy from all cast boolets and about 15 guns tried in .
    in 44 mag I usually use 7.0 to 8.0 grs of TG

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon lists 4.5 - 5.4 gr. Titegroup with a 200 gr. LRNFP bullet, 4.0 - 4.8 gr. with a 240 LSWC.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

TG is a great powder for large pistol cases. It's not position sensitive and it meters very well.