RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting antelope in Wyoming?

Boolit Master

Hunting antelope in Wyoming?

Ive been wanting to go Antelope hunting for some time now. Looks like Wyoming is my best shot.
    The problem is that to apply for a tag I have to know what unit I want to hunt. I’m having a hard time sorting out info on the WG&F website.

I plan on making a trip out there in Oct just to put some boots on the ground so to speak. Hopefully I can find a suitable place to apply for next year.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

might look at north east colorado as well, they are so bad here that landowners can get nuisance tags and hunt whenever they want
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I’ve been applying in WY for five years and haven’t been drawn yet.
    USMC 6638

In Colorado the general draw for a public land buck takes 15 points minimum. For those not savvy with Colorado, thats 15 years waiting unless you have access to private land. It seems to jump 1 point each year.

I've been trying for 12 years and no luck, unless you want to pay a guide to get access to private land or trespass fee. Not complaining that's just the way it is. Maybe next year.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I have hunted Wyoming many times in the past for antelope. The western part has a lot of public land and most out of state hunters apply there and getting draw for a tag is hard. The Eastern part bordering Nebraska is 90% private land with ranches and it is easier to draw a tag in that area. You will have to deal with paying a trespass fee to hunt on a private ranch. Most ranchers want the antelope herds kept down in size and will charge a lessor amount for trespassing hunting antelope then they will for deer. Some ranchers will stick it to you if they get a chance, but if you shop around you should find a rancher that will treat you fairly on the fees and having a good amount of antelope on his property.
    Contacting the local game warden will usually get you good information on which ranchers to contact for hunting. Also the local chamber of commerce in any town in your hunt area can usually help you. In Lusk, Wyoming, the local hardware store was a great source of information on ranchers allowing trespass with reasonable fees. If the herds are in great numbers due to mild winters, Fish & Game will be giving out doe tags for a cheap price allowing you to go home with plenty of meat.
    Hunting in the Lusk, Wy. area my partner and I used to fill out 5-6 tags each with deer & antelope buck tags and several doe tags after that area had about 3-4 years of mild winters and the antelope just exploded in population and the ranchers wanted them thinned out.

Banned

I don't know about today but back 15 years ago you could buy MT tags over the counter. Doe tags for cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Our family group has hunted Wyoming a few times over the years. We usually end up going late in the season to allow the kids to finish their fall sports season. So far we haven't hunted any private land, only BLM, State, or walk in land which makes it tough in the eastern part of the state. I can tell you that those antelope seem to know the boundrys of the private land better than the hunters by late season. My Sister in Law has family with a ranch east of Sheridan, he charges $1000 a gun and has a group from Washington booked up every year. I'm not paying that for 35 lbs of meat.
    The last couple times we've tried further west and had good luck, only the bucks had been pretty well picked over by late October. Not this year. 5 of us put in for bucks in one unit, does in another after doing some research on draw odds. Had a preference point each. Turns out there were 3 times the number of applicants as when we went 2 years ago. My Son and Grandson drew doe tags, nothing else for the whole group. Seems like as the elk hunting gets harder, hunters are shifting to antelope hunting. Or maybe like me they are getting older and find antelope easier and more enjoyable.

Wyoming is the best state to hunt antelope on public ground. The web site takes a little time to get accustomed to but has a lot of info.
    Sad thing is Wyoming like most states around the country has raised the cost to hunt by a pretty hefty amount, while at the same time expressing concerns with lack of young people getting into hunting.

Boolit Master
    I have a big Pronghorn that sleeps on our south hill a few nights a week if the dog doesn’t notice him sneaking over the fence.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

In New Mexico I often see herds of pronghorns along I25 between Santa Fe and Raton. Also along US 285 just south of I40

Boolit Master

Last time I hunted Antelope in Wyoming I got buck and doe tags for Thunder Basin Grasslands. Great hunt, filled both tags by stealth hunting. Killed both animals
    at less than 100 yards but took a lot of belly crawling to do it.
    Larry

Boolit Master
    If you draw, elbow pads & knee pads sure come in handy!

Dick

Boolit Master

just what would be a fair price for an antilope hunt?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    just what would be a fair price for an antilope hunt?
    I’m not sure what your asking. How much for a trespass fee? On top of the $400 license. Drepradation license included?

I do know I’m not interested in a guided hunt. Nor am I interested in driving up and shooting one from beside the truck. I want to hunt.
    While I don’t think of myself as poor I am just a working man that is pretty frugal with his money. So when I hear about $1000/1500 hunts then I’m certainly out.
    Thanks,Woody

Boolit Master

just wondering aloud mostly but if my neighbors get overrun again at least I could suggest letting somebody else shoot the critters instead of the land owner, just trying to figure a win/win from this

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I like the way Rancher1913 is thinking. There is nothing better than building a good working relationship with the land owner of a property. That alone will open doors much more sincerely, than any amount of money to many landowners.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I also like the way he is thinking. I forgot to add that I’m a hunter, not a trophy hunter.

Boolit Buddy
    The areas between Rock Springs and Pinedale are where you want to go. Huge herds, 99% public ground, lots of access. Good luck.

Been there, done that. Not anything I am proud of. Get the license, get directions to locations of heards. Edge up on a rise and pick out some good horns and “bag your trophy”. Not a real hunt IMO.

Boolit Master
    That would be great for a guy like with BOTH shoulders wore out and BOTH knee's wore out too. I was a FOOL and worked all my life. Should have been a Goose guide and drew Public Aid....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast