Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Hydro-Forming 6.5 Grendel

Boolit Bub

Hydro-Forming 6.5 Grendel

Hi,

I didn't see a thread on this. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to hydro-form 6.5 Grendel (or any re-formed brass for that matter) after sizing die forming without spending $200 on a hydro-form kit or contraption? You know, like, for Free! Using your sizing die and some tools? Some of us live in an Urban center and can only get to the range on weekends when family and other obligations don't take priority. So fire forming is not an option.

Rodney

Are you forming your Grendel Brass from 7.62X39 brass?
    I just buy 6.5 Grendel brass and no fireforming or hydroforming needed.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    A shellholder without hole so the primers wont back out and an adapter for a pressure washer to fit your FL die.

Boolit Bub
    Hi,

Old thread I started, I know. I could use some insight on this. With all the hype about 6mm ARC, I decided to resurrect my 6.5 Grendel project. I've been very happy with my 6.8 SPC. But since I already spend a bunch of cash on the project and didn't get to finish it (life, you know), I figured I should pick it up and get going with it. The only advantage I see with 6mm ARC over 6.5 Grendel is the non-cast bullet selection is wider; but the practical results are the same for both. Cast boolits for 6mm is few and far between. I could buy a barrel and dies and whatnot, but I figured it out and it would cost me almost $400 once I factored in case gauge (which no one has yet), dies, barrel, bullet mold (NOE or Lyman "might" have an option in the 100gr range?), figuring out what Lee Factory Crimp die would work on it (.243 WSSM?)... plus waiting until the end of fall before I actually received any of the stuff would be undesirable. Yes, I have a ton of brass 7.62x39, mostly PPU and Hornady. I want to convert it all to 6.5 Grendel without wasting primers and powder on fire forming it. I have a nice RCBS TC SB set of dies for it. I have an RCBS primer pocket swager that I can use as a "shellholder" to seal the primer pocket. Scotch tape the bottom, run it up in the die with the swager, that should work. So its just a matter of figuring out what to use on the top end of the RCBS die. Ideas?

Rodney

Boolit Grand Master
    If you get a 6mm ARC, you an use 6mm ppc dies to load it probably

Boolit Master
    Tried converting 7.62x39 to 6.5 Grendel with little success,easier/cheaper to buy Starline brass. My success rate was zero,cases would either collapse or once formed wouldn't chamber.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a bunch of 7.62x39 brass that I no longer shoot. I also have a couple of hundred 6.5 powder coated bullets that I was shooting in my 6.5x55. I'm thinking of loading them in the reformed brass ahead of 10grs. Unique to fire form. I wouldn't go out of my way to convert brass but it's not doing me any good in it's current state.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!