Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 6.5 Grendel Mold?

Boolit Bub

6.5 Grendel Mold?

Hi,

I've seen 140gr. molds from RCBS, Lymann, and Seco. And they are all super expensive compared to Lee molds. I have the Lee 277-135 mold for 270, and ordered me a custom Lee sizer kit for .265. I wonder why they don't make a standard .265 sizer kit, or why why they don't make a mold for Grendel sized boolits, you know, in the 90 to 125 gr range? Does anyone make a Gendel mold that won't break the bank to get? Has anyone tried re-sizing the .277 boolits down to .265 yet?

Thanks,

Rodney

Boolit Buddy
    Most 6.5mm mold are made for the 6.5mm Swede. Long and heavy. Molds to be used for other 1890's military rounds are much the same, long, fat, and heavy. NOE sells some lighter ones, the lightest I remember is the 6.5 Kurtz, maybe 125 grains but still long.. NOE also sells push thru sizers with interchangeable bushings.

I have an older push thru sizer made by Buckshot, in .269", for a 6.5mm Carcano. I did size lighter weight 90 gr, .270 jacketed bullets (.278"), they required extreme effort, and I thought I was going to break my Lee hand press. But it can be done. Hope this helps.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...9rbre996tvaop7

One thing to keep in mind is RPM limit and found that velocities were limited to under 1400 ft/sec for accuracy at 100 yards. I ran into it developing a load for my Norwegian Krag in 6.5 Swede. It had a short lead precluding the use of most molds developed for Swedish rifles. NOE has a hunter mold that works well for my rifle so you may want to look at it. Lathesmith made a .269 sizer die to fit my groove diameter. I make my gas checks with a Freechex III using .009” aluminum.

Have fun with your trip developing loads for your rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Cool. I found one. It was here: https://bulletcasting.net/product-ca...66-126-fn-ao3/ Kind of a pain to find. They only have the 2 cavity and 4 cavity in the GC version, and I got the last 4 Cavity they had. Only $12 difference between the 2 cavity and the 4 cavity. So kind of a no brainier. Standard USPS priority shipping... that's refreshing these days. It still cost me twice what I had the budget for. Now I have to work some OT or sell a gun to pay for the mold.