WidenersLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred 1911 grip material and design?

What is your preferred 1911 grip material and design?

I have handled a number of 1911 pistols over the years(who hasn't). I am finding myself leaning more towards function over looks these days. I don't own any historical arms or safe queens so am not concerned with the appearance for the most part.
    I have used wood, plastic, rubber, and other synthetics. I have handled stag, bone, and once handled ivory.
    I, personally, am liking the G10 style grips with fairly sharp checkering these days. I can still shoot the others but the G10 grips just feel better in my hand.
    I like the gray colored ones. Garish colors really don't do anything for me.
    I do like white grip panels on stainless steel for the contrast but that seems to be the extent of it.
    I have never held a stag grip that feels right to me.

What are your experiences and preferences?

Boolit Master
    I'm not much of a 1911 guy , but I'm with you on materials G10 micarta and rubber .
    I do have some checkered aluminum grips on a sig p220 I really like .

Preference: Wood, Ivory. Sambar stag if the scales are properly proportioned. Unfortunately, most such stag grips spoil the grip and upset the pointability of the 1911. Rubber, plastic etc. are simply tacky.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Chip McCormick thin, checkered rosewood.

Not sure what the material is but the black textured grips on the Sig 1911's is great.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

The above carved ivory grips are my general preference, but must confess that my IPSC years were served by these “standard” carved wood grips (without the red dot sight). As an aside, I have a 100,000 full house rounds (nearly all my home cast bullets) in this 1911 with those grips:

Dale53

Vendor Sponsor

I am pretty flexible, I prefer the default brown plastic checkered WWII era grips on a WWII era pistol or a WWII era clone. I chose some real pretty checkered rosewood with a gold rampant pony for my latest Commander build.

If I had a really glossy blued 1911 I would go with resin ivory +s which looks so close to the real deal it ain't even funny..

I had a 1937 Colt Commercial Model 1911A1 that was so deep blued it looked wet. It had the original 24lpi checkered walnut of the pre-war guns, and it also wore some genuine ivories like a true gangster, it was a stunningly beautiful pistol regardless of what grips were on it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I like standard thickness checkered wood. I think I'd like the G10 too but I've not tried them yet. I ran hogue rubber panels a while and they were okay, but I prefer wood as rubber is too grabby on a shirttail.

Boolit Master
    Checkered wood, standard size works for me.

I really like the buffalo bone handles I have on mine as opposed to the checkered wood and I do not like rubber on a 1911 at all.

Boolit Buddy

Kensight Sharkskins

Boolit Master
    I like my grips to line up with the edges of the grip frame. I make my own. Preferred materials are elephant ivory and desert ironwood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Checkered wood, standard size works for me.
    Ditto
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Yep, I like Checkered Wood the best.
    My Dad favored Carved Ivory or Stag with a lot of Bark. Of course the clunker 1911A1 We boys got to Shoot wore Brown Plastic.

My Lone Surviving 1911 from the "Gleaning" of my collection to get into Cowboy Action wears a set of Pachmyer's.
    Better grip for arthritis.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Either checkered wood, or elk antler. My carry 1911 wears elk. I can’t get used to G10, just prefer a warmer feel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Chip McCormick thin, checkered rosewood.
    second that

Banned
    For shear durability materials such as G10 or Micarta are tough to beat.
    For "working" full size guns, particularly DA revolvers, I still like plain Jane Pachmyr black rubber grips.
    But for concealed carry guns I go with wooden grips. The wooden surface doesn't grab clothing, No matter how sweaty you hands get the a checkered wooden grip provides a good purchase and if they do get beat up, they're not stupid expensive.

For a 1911 pattern gun I like checkered Rosewood with the double diamond style checking like the ones in DougGuy's photo.

A cool feature of Rosewood is the color goes all the way through, so even if they do get a scratch - a little linseed oil and you're good to go.

Boolit Grand Master

I really like the overall usefulness of G-10. I can get them in an innumerable amount of shapes and colors which are incredibly durable and resistant to damage and other issues. Once you shoot genuine Ivory, however, they will spoil you. Wish I had some real ivory, but I'll have to stick to my G10 for now.

I was hoping for a discussion like this.
    I have decades of experience with revolvers but not so much with pistols. The 1911 platform is relatively new to me.
    I am liking the responses we are getting here. Lots of good information.

Wood, well checkered but otherwise nothing to grab, catch or bind.

And well I just prefer the feel of it.

I recently bought a RIA 4" revolver in .38 spc, came with these big rubber overmolded grips.
    Went to the web site and found replacement grips for that model. 20$ Nothing fancy just nice rosewood nicely checkered.
    Fits my hand better and now my speed loader works where before it would not because of the grips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast