Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sand bags or bipod for shooting groups?

Boolit Master
    I have bipods on 4 guns. Just useful and goes anywhere the gun goes with no hassle. Again, just an opinion and not what works in every situation for everyone.

Boolit Master

The problem with bipods is that they're a rigid contact with whatever surface is underneath the gun. If that surface never changes that point is SOMEHWHAT moot, but if you go from prone on concrete to dirt or shooting mat, or if you go from a bench of one material to another, covered with carpet, etc..., the harmonics of what the gun does will change. And I say somewhat moot because you might find a combination that REALLY works with one type of gun and ammo - change the surface the bipod is on and that might go completely away.

Sandbags will have a squishy, deadening effect on those harmonics unlike the rigid legs of a bipod. Best of all is to have the same sandbags every shot, but a slightly different firmness between the sandbag of today and the sandbag of tomorrow is probably ahead of a vastly different firmness under a bipod.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Sand bags used properly will out shoot bi pods. They put no force on the rifle. I've used shot bags full of sand my whole life as did all the guys who taught me. I have a couple bipods and they are handy for Varmit shooting.They don't have the Dead effect of sand bags.

Boolit Master
    Ha Well I suppose I’m to set in my ways and rather use a rolled up towel or coat or shooting bag under my hand that is holding the for-end.
    My hunting rifles shoot the best like that and the point of impact stays the same.
    If I use the same technique holding the gun.
    A something under the toe of the stock like socks etc work well too.

Ok I don’t shoot anymore but most people I see these days just plant their acher on a bench.
    How do go in the real world?
    I’m not likely have to squeeze out the last point one or two’s to shoot unless I want to compete in some benchrest championship.
    I do how ever like to shoot a 300m gong with my elbows on the bench on top of something softer for the poor old things.
    It’s all good what ever you decide to use.

I might try a shooting stick or sticks one day.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 08-29-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Boolit Master

I will always prefer bags.

But bypod can work pretty well. Something else I do is if the gun will see use with a bypod after proving or siting with bags. Ill shoot over the bypod to confirm and adjust accordingly.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Never heard of any benchrest competitors shooting off bipods.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I never seen benchresters use bipods as they arn’t allowed.
    But snipers do in the movies.
    And they are mo cool with a tactical set up shooting 1 M.O.A.
    I Can play "shooter" too.
    Ha

Boolit Master

Barrabruce, you make an interesting point. Certain times I prefer to just shoot over something soft, like a rolled up shooting Matt, with a firm hold on the rifle. Especially when shooting a hard kicking hunting rifle, and I agree you get a truer sight in and point of impact.

I was referring more to pure group shooting, and I'm mostly doing that with a .22 rimfire.

Boolit Master
    Seems to me that is would be a lot easier to carry a bipod or tripod in a combat situation, or any situation that requires one to be moving frequently to shoot, than carrying filled or partially filled sandbags, or filling them right before ya shoot then have to move again.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Too many apples to oranges comparisons here. Benchrest rest style front rests with benchrest rest style sandbags or F-Class style bipods will give maximum accuracy. After that it's kind or hard to compare a really cheap rickety bipod to a rolled up carpet since both are substandard. I shoot a lot with both and 1/4" to 3/8" MOA groups are normal with my better rifles and ammo. I do not shoot benchrest nor do I use the extreme benchrest loading techniques so my ammo is the limiting factor.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Good sand bags will outshoot bi-pod which is more portable and versatile.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of opinions here and very little data.

Shooting off of a concrete bench with a quality bipod like a Harris swivel base leg notch bipod or shot bag sandbags using sandbags as a rear rest I can hold 3/8" MOA for 10 shot groups with my match rifles or better prairie dog rifles. Both bags or bipod require proper technique and both have shortcomings compared to benchrest front and rears.

Some of the cheap copy bipods are rickety junk and some are OK. Harris is always top notch.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-05-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

M-Tecs, that's another really good point. I think the single greatest lesson I've learned in this past year long exercise is that proper technique is probably the single greatest factor in group shooting. People think if you buy some sandbags you'll automatically shoot itty bitty groups like the gun writers all seem to do. Can't prove it by me.

I can't tell you how many great 4 shot groups I've shot, with a single 5th one away from the cluster. Or a five shot group that's two tight together, and three tight together, but half an inch apart. That tells me I'm not doing things exactly consistently EVERY time. Whether it's cheek pressure, the grip, trigger finger, etc. I really try to duplicate it all for each shot. I'm definitely getting more consistent.

The real purpose of this thread was to ask if I'm missing (for my intended purposes) anything by never having even owned a bipod. I think the general consensus is no, stick with my sandbags and rest.

Sand bags are hard and get damp. 22 rifle stocks are not the best and rifle is light. Slow fps and hammer of semi auto is a problem, bi pod does't solve that. Even using a front stand I put a cloth or something on it to allow a slide back. God rear bag and left hand on the stock, not forearm. Failure to wait between shots is biggest problem for me.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Personally I use a rear sand bag and a bipod.

Boolit Mold
    Another factor for me, in making such a choice, is that the front rest can be moved further forward or further back toward the magazine, whereas the bipod is pretty much fixed in one position.

Recently with 22s I have found that about 3 inches in front of the magazine on my CZ 22s is a good spot for the front rest - back toward the magazine less so and definitely way forward toward swivel mount less accurate.

This is just one person's experience. And YMMV.

Regards,

Dyson

Banned

it's all about personal choice, there is no best nor right way to go. there are pluses and minuses for pods and bags. whichever has the more pluses for you might be your choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12