PBcastcoInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand bags or bipod for shooting groups?

Boolit Master

Sand bags or bipod for shooting groups?

Concurrent with my ongoing project with my Ruger American Rimfire and group shooting (as well as my trusty old 10/22), I have started to wonder, what do you all feel is the best setup for group shooting, sandbags or a bipod like a Harris or similar?

I have used a rear sandbag/iron front rest for over 30 years now whenever I shoot groups. It occurred to me though that lots of people seem to be using the bipod/rear bag approach.

Does anyone with real experience have any solid preference for one or the other? I'd love to hear of your experiences and opinions.

Boolit Buddy
    In my case, it depends on which one I'm shooting. For wood guns I prefer bags, seems to let me snuggle up better. For plastic/aluminum bi-pods work better to keep the magazine from interfering with the sight picture.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    I have a Harris and a Accu-tac F class bipod. I see a lot of people shooting to the ability of the rifle with bipods. For me they are harder to use. I have to work harder for my stability.

I think sand bags are easier to shoot from. Once you learn to use a high quality bipod I doubt there is a noticable difference. The Harris is not going to preform in the same league with sand bags or a high quality bipod. I'm not saying you can't shoot great groups with a Harris you will just leave a little accurracy on the table

Buy a quality bipod for convenience. Use bags to save money and shoot your best groups.

Super Moderator

I frequently use both, depending on the rifle and setting. Sandbags will eek out the utmost accuracy, but a good bipod adds a lot more portability and flexibility.

Boolit Master

I like a bipod and a rear bag on my CZ455 for shooting groups I tried a front rest and rear bag but find that a bipod works better for me
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Since you mention group shooting specifically I must assume we're shooting tight groups on paper?Can't see how the bags used properly front and rear can ever NOT out perform a bi-pod even if only marginally.You're already set up to shoot groups at paper.Don't see how the convenience or portability of a bi-pod changes that.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm just shooting groups on paper. And I do this at a shooting range with built-in benches. I have no "need" for a bipod (ie I'm not looking for field applications.) I was just wondering if there were any advantages to the bipod over bags. I guess I'll save the money and buy more ammo

Boolit Master
    Try both and see which suits you .beware hard surfaces as they make bipods bounce if you don't put some preload on them .

Boolit Bub
    I like bags for group shooting, bipod for hunting

Front rest and rear bags for me.....but I have thought about a bipod. If nothing else, it would ensure your front point of contact between rifle/rest would be consistent. For accuracy, I think it would have to be a really well-made, well-fitted bipod.

I inherited a pretty nice one from a buddy.....might just throw it on the Tikka next time out and see what happens??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The grand Master smallbore shooters who were my mentors, George Stidworthy, Mark Humphreville, Pres Kendall and Col. Maurice Kaiser always tested ammo prone at 100 yards firing with a good sling set-up and a 10X Unertl scope on their prone gun. Col. Kaiser believed in shooting 100 rounds on one backer and having a fresh repair center registered over the backer every ten shots.

A junior officer (me) had the assigned task of measuring the x and y coordinates of each shot and calculating the center of impact and the vertical, horizontal and radial standard deviations of the 100-shot composite and determining whether the group was circular-normal and if the vertical, horizontal and radial variances were equal.

This taught me to measure bullet diameter forward of the crimp and to pick the fattest bullets and not worry about rim thickness.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer bags or a cradle.

I have a lot of respect for Outpost, but suggest you not follow his advice on this. A very select few would be able to shoot equal groups prone than from a rest. Maybe 10 people in the world? Maybe I am exaggerating but normal Joe’s need all the help we can get.
    Last edited by dverna; 08-24-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Hoppe's Front Rest with it's little bag and a rear bag, on top of a 20rd cartridge box.

But as I've gotten older and the arthritis has kicked in, in a Big way. I like the Caldwell recoil Sled with a 25lb bag of shot.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have used sandbags for my testing for a long time. I do have a bipod that I bought some years ago, but I still revert to sandbags 99% of the time.

I have considered spending the approx. $70 +/- frogskins on one of those Caldwell Lead sleds, but just have not jumped on it yet.

I guess I will likely just stick with sandbags, unless I get the chance to use someone elses rig to try one out. sandbags are simple to make/fill with all sorts of materials & not just sand, & even a couple of old socks without holes can do the job. Old empty & refilled shotbags or even cut off jeans legs work as well...

Maybe it is just that I am "frugal", but I just am at the point in life where I have too much "stuff" & don't see any reason to get any more "accessories" when I can rig something up right quick without much expense & I don't have to store anything more.

I just have accumulated too much stuff already, I reckon, I can't take it with me when I go, & so I am a bit hesitant to do more than what I have already been doing.

Interesting reading what others use & such though. I prolly did not help anyone much with my doins, but what the heck, I just offered another opinion, for what it might be worth.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Bi pod for me.

Boolit Master
    Me I like the old britches leg cut off blue jeans, save the tops for shorts, type sand bags. Leave at the range in old plastic container to keep rain out. Just sort of cheap that way. Bipod just seem to jump around too much.

Boolit Master
    I have a all steel adjustable shooting rest which is taken down with allen wrenches. Set it up in reverse order. Even came with the wrenches. I glued a large piece of velcro on the top of the table and did the same with the leather bag I shoot off. Maybe B-Square was the MFG"R. I know I have had it for over 30 some odd years. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I like a bipod and a rear bag on my CZ455 for shooting groups I tried a front rest and rear bag but find that a bipod works better for me
    Good bi pod and good rear bag are hard to beat. I use Harris and rear bags Protector made for me. Rock solid.

Boolit Grand Master

Either will produce good groups once technique is found. One thing that make 22 rimfire hard to shoot groups with is the light recoil makes getting them to "ride" bags or bipods consistently is harder to do. The light recoil and ease of functioning also promotes a faster than is optimal.
    I use a smooth leather front bad on my rest and it is lightly coated with talc same with rear bag to help the rifle move the same each shot under the light recoil. I also shot slowly giving the rifle time between each shot to settle in and cool out.
    Another thing that works well is instead of the rifle in the front rest Hold normally and put back of hand into bag to steady, This gives a normal type hold that's very well supported. This works well with the lighter stocks and thin barrels of a lot of 22 rimfires, It helps take the down pressure spring out of the picture.

Boolit Master

I vote bags. I use bi-pods to hunt and plink with but for serious use bags win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast