MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should you ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Should you ?

Should you have a fear of GOD ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

Should a child fear a parent? Especialy a good, loving and merciful one?

IMO the answer is "Only if you have been doing wrong"

The Lord God Almighty knows my heart and soul inside out and backwards. He knows me better than I know myself.
    Why should I fear him unless I have been doing things that I know make him angry?

Respect yes, in spades. Awe and a little trepidation at times. Not much fear here.
    Maybe I should be.

No, only love and respect
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Fear is an undeniable part of any salvation based religion.

Boolit Master
    That never made sense to me at all, to fear a so called loving God. But agree with T McD.

USMC 77, USRA 79

fear or respect? to the maker of the universe? yes on both... but then again, I know him... so there is both, and love, and friendship.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I believe the word "fear" in various English translations does not convey intent of the orginal languages, at least in the NT. The original intent was great respect and even awe. I for one am not afraid of God in any way. I love Him dearly, as he loves me dearly. "Perfect love casts out all fear."

The religious of the ancient Jews was indeed quite fear based. However Christianity is love based. The turning point was Jesus upon the cross. "For God so LOVED the world, that he gave his only begotten son".

Bottom line: God is not going to "gitcha", but you may get yourself. But if you do that to yourself by Godless decisions, it is in no way God's desire.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 08-24-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    No fear here.
    How about you?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Should a child fear a parent? Especialy a good, loving and merciful one?

IMO the answer is "Only if you have been doing wrong"

The Lord God Almighty knows my heart and soul inside out and backwards. He knows me better than I know myself.
    Why should I fear him unless I have been doing things that I know make him angry?

Respect yes, in spades. Awe and a little trepidation at times. Not much fear here.
    Maybe I should be.
    GhostHawk said it better that I could! Thank you sir!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Hebrews 10 I believe is the appropriate response.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I was the deacon representative at the Session meeting this past week. There was a long discussion about how we should respond to a member getting a divorce.

After the meeting I mentioned to the pastor what I would have said in the discussion: I read in Jeremiah where God states "I divorce thee, I divorce thee, I divorce thee O Israel". We do not know who those people are today - God does, but we don't. Divorce scares me to death!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I'd better, and you should to!

Rev 14:6-7

Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people. He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

I have a godly father and you better bet I feared him, but it's grown into loving respect. We grew up farming, did I fear the bulls? You bet! They where powerful beyond any man, and couldn't be reasoned with. We are are told not to fear one who can destroy the body, but the one who can destroy body and soul.

My answer is YES, fear is a good place to start!

Moderator Emeritus

To fear God's wrath is a given. However, we have another option as well. If we believe in, trust and have faith in Him, He is our friend, our comforter, and our salvation. So there's a place for fearing Him in all our lives. But it's not the largest place for Him. That should be reserved for respect, love and cherishing Him, and all He has done for us. He created the entire universe, just for us, it appears, and a wonderful world, filled with things to sustain us, and allow us to build better things for living our lives. He even gave us science, that we might come to know Him better and more intimately. Einstein said he studied science so intently because he wanted to know God more intimately. He has given us many, many very wholesome models in others, for us to follow and emulate, as best as we can. He has given us everything reasonably possible to allow us to know and understand much about Him. Blessed be the name of the Lord forever, for He has given us everything we are, have, and ever will have, and for that, don't we owe Him our gratitude and worship? We are the chattel, He is our King. He deserves all the praise we can give Him for all that He's done for us, doesn't He? Praise the Lord, for his mercy endureth forever. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I believe the word "fear" in various English translations does not convey intent of the orginal languages, at least in the NT. The original intent was great respect and even awe. I for one am not afraid of God in any way. I love Him dearly, as he loves me dearly. "Perfect love casts out all fear."

The religious of the ancient Jews was indeed quite fear based. However Christianity is love based. The turning point was Jesus upon the cross. "For God so LOVED the world, that he gave his only begotten son".

Bottom line: God is not going to "gitcha", but you may get yourself. But if you do that to yourself by Godless decisions, it is in no way God's desire.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The word translated to "Fear" would have been better translated as "Holy reverence".

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not fear God. Reverence is what I feel.

A relationship based on fear is a negative one. Love is a positive emotion and allows growth.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I believe the word "fear" in various English translations does not convey intent of the orginal languages, at least in the NT. The original intent was great respect and even awe.
    So very true. Words can cage with time and distance. Look what America has done to English

When the rather magnificent St Paul's Cathedral was completed in London several commentators of nobility used the word 'Awful' (among others) to describe it. Then it meant 'full of awe', 'awe inspiring'. I am of the opinion that the use of the word 'fear' in it's modern context was a convenient power play for clergy of the time, becoming adopted into the various churches.

Moderator Emeritus

The answer is yes.....after reflecting on this thought ... there are three times in the BIBLE when God was going to write off "His chosen ones!" Either Moses or Aron had to remind God that He picked them and not the other way.....

God flooded the earth due to wickedness!

People who turn the backs on God, twice dead, should fear judgement!

People that dont believe, i.e., Buddhist, Islam, and other groups that dont believe and have been exposed to God yet reject Him should fear God and judgement.

The Old Testimony is full of examples of God's wrath.....so wrong doers be warned.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Most definitely.
    My God is a loving and jealous God that is not to be scorned or dismissed if we chose to be his child.
    Last edited by Hickory; 08-27-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Well I'll throw in my two cents worth .
    When we discover our Lord either as a child or adult fear of him is a good thing in our lives . Understanding he is all powerful and all knowing , understanding he has expectations of us . But at the same time he gives us ...choice . This is not the last time I'll use the word choice here .

GOD makes his expectations known to us , he is honest and straight forward . He loves us so much that he sent his only son here to suffer and die for us to give us instruction by words and the life he lived . GOD wants us to succeed , we hold that in our hand through our own choice . We have no excuse if we fail by our own choice .

In the beginning of our relationship with him realizing GOD is real and exists in our lives it's a good thing to understand he is all powerful . That we are created by him , that we ourselves influence our salvation or damnation . Yes , a fear of GOD is good in the beginning of our walk with him guiding our lives .

But growing individually in our relationship with him we lose that fear . No longer needing only milk of the Gospel we gain strength in discipleship through him . Through trial , his word and seeking him we are brought to understand him , we embrace him in our lives and the fear is gone .

I see that some of those that struggle against GOD their father have come even to this place where we give praise , prayer to our Lord . Where we give each other encouragement and confirm our faith in our father . This thread has arouse their comfort in themselves . The Chapel is a place to seek..not to defame and ridicule GOD . All non believers are welcome to seek GOD here .

Up to this point I am proud of those that have commented and not argued with them . I leave you with ;

Proverbs 25;19-23

Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble
    Is like a bad tooth and a foot out of joint.
    Like one who takes away a garment in cold weather,
    And like vinegar on soda,
    Is one who sings songs to a heavy heart.
    If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat;
    And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
    For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,
    And the Lord will reward you.
    The north wind brings forth rain,
    And a backbiting tongue an angry countenance.

Matthew 10;14

And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast