Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A quick ammo box

Boolit Master

So when do we get to order our own custom built boxes.?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Very nice. Now you have me wanting to make a few.

I think I'd want to have the bullet carrier interchangeable between calibers. Just slide a different top into the box from the side for each caliber.

Dang. Now I need a table saw..

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Very nice. Now you have me wanting to make a few.

I think I'd want to have the bullet carrier interchangeable between calibers. Just slide a different top into the box from the side for each caliber.

Dang. Now I need a table saw..

--Wag--
    Yep you do

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned
    I for sure wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for me to make any for sale
    I have no plans on making any extra , matter of fact I'll be impressed if I manage to get enough made to fill my needs .

Boolit Master

Humm I was hoping a seed would grow

Banned
    Got my dovetail cutter and bearing guides today . If I can get my yard mowed without any catastrophic events tomarow I am going to try and get the jig figured out .

Ssg .. I won't make any promises . But if i can manage to make dovetails successfully I'll see if my ambition stretches far enough to make an extra box .

Give me a couple days to see how things work out and we can have a talk about hardware , caliber size and wood species.
    Cost won't be much , what ever the hardware costs and shipping will be about it .

Nice very pretty box. I just can't bring myself to spend the time to make such a nice one.

But I did laser me a bunch of these for my 38 and 357 rounds. Hold a hundred each.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190828_085719.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	247460
    Use scrap interior paneling that I had left over from my office build.

Now get busy and build you some more of those!

Banned
    I like the way you did the lid , no hardware needed .
    I didn't set out to make anything pretty . Just happen to have a fair amount of reclaimed wood that is perfect for this kind of stuff .

So dovetail jigs .... I don't have a bad thing to say about the harbor freight jig , it was cheap and it will work .
    If you get one just throw the instructions in the trash and find some on the internet .
    I think I have this thing figured out , I'll find out this weekend !
    So far I have nothing else happening on Sunday , if I can get wood planed, ripped and dovetails cut I'll be happy as a clam

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice, the rabbet joints look great. Box joint or dovetail will look great but don't really add much more than the time to mill them and wht you have here seems to work perfectly, great work. An American chestnut is beautiful wood.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Good idea ! Those white coated slugs make a somewhat optical illusion at first..
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    I haven't forgotten about this , just got wrapped up in other things .
    I have a couple boxes all cut out and dovetails cut . Soon as I get enough room on my bench I'll get them glued up and lids cut off .

Boolit Buddy
    I do something similar for CAS. I keep my eyes open for old bible boxes or men's jewelry boxes at resale shops. I make 5 strips that each hold 20 rounds (usually I can get 4 to fit in a box). I put snaps on either end of each strip. I use old leather belts and make a handle/cover. When I'm done with a stage, I go back to my gun cart and take the cover and snap to the next strip. Put the empty strip back in the box. Fill the shotgun belt and all ready for the next stage.

Banned
    I tried to finish this little project up this weekend and I ran out of hardware . Still having three more boxes to finish up I made a trip to home depot looking for some hinges and latches .

Holy snarkles bat Man are they proud of their cheap junk !

Anyone have a known good source for hinges and such that aren't made from brass plated tinfoil. That won't break the bank ?

There is lots of stuff online of course , but not being a wood guy I don't know if I'd get quality stuff till it shows up at my mailbox.

Attachment 249808

Good looking project.

I think I could have stretched something like that out from an hour, to about a month.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    Anyone have a known good source for hinges and such that aren't made from brass plated tinfoil. That won't break the bank ?
    Attachment 249808
    I have had great success with hinges from Cherry Tree -- https://cherrytreetoys.com/hinges/ -- re both the sizes they offer as well as the quality. I WILL add, however, it's been about a decade since my last order, so there is a good chance the present ones (like pretty much many other products ) are not of the same quality. But, it may be worth a gander for you. We like their scroll saw blades -- quality's stayed good -- so, perhaps, same with hinges.
    BEST!
    geo

Lee valley offers all sorts of hardware.

Very nice boxes. I took the cheap shot. Used a piece of oak 3/4" scrap over common to get depth I need for whatever cartridge I'm working with. Lay it out for number of rounds then trim to retangle. "Chamber" block with Forstner bits. Then face perimeter with 3/8" from resawing the 3/4" oak. Lid is 3/8" too. All the oak is pre finished scrapp from kitchen cabinet dummies. I also made similar box for my shell holders.

A lot of the hobby grade hinges and hasps are junk. I have used odds and ends on mine. Best thing I have found is piano type hinge for durability. They can be had in brass. I bought small brass stuff from Minnisota Woodworkers, don't know if they are still in business.

Boolit Grand Master

Craft Supplies, Rocklear Hardware or WoodCraft, all online/catalog operations with some local stores.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Hello redneck1,

Nice work, I've always wanted to try doing something like that but just to many irons in the fire.
    I did purchase some from https://www.hampelswoodlandproducts.com
    He made me six boxes & had them delivered in less than a week.
    I did send him a plastic tray to build around & let him know cartridge length.
    Now I see he lists Ammo Boxes on his webpage.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hampel-1.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    This is a timely thread for me, after reading it I went to our weekly local auction house, and I bought a nice old Craftsman table saw,
    for $35 !!!!!!! This saw is a quality piece of machinery, with a heavy cast iron table , not aluminum and plastic like my current crappy discount store saw. I'm kind of excited to build a couple of projects with it this winter.
    I picked up one like that but I paid a lot more! I like that mine uses 7-1/2” blades which are super cheap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast