RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Beretta 81s range report

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    On my last trip to Italy new Beretta mags for these were 27 Euros. Got four while I was there.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outpost75 has a huge knowledge database about 32acp pistols, but it's scattered amongst several threads. I'm not sure how y'all feel about it, but I'd like to see a sticky about the 32acp similar to the 32S&W long sticky. Guns, tips, tricks, loads, etc. This would be very useful in light of all the mil and police second hands coming into the country. What would it take to get one going.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Outpost75 has a huge knowledge database about 32acp pistols, but it's scattered amongst several threads. I'm not sure how y'all feel about it, but I'd like to see a sticky about the 32acp similar to the 32S&W long sticky. Guns, tips, tricks, loads, etc. This would be very useful in light of all the mil and police second hands coming into the country. What would it take to get one going.
    That's fine with me. Much of my .32 ACP material is already in the .32 S&W Long as a Manstopper sticky, but I have no objection to the mods breaking that material out into a separate sticky and I could add to it to plug any holes.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

My Beretta 81 arrived today and I'm very pleased with the purchase from Classic Firearms. Being a little late to the party, I paid the extra for the best of ten option and received a very nice pistol. Very slight holster ware and a bore that is bright and looks like new. As nice as Thumbcockers pics in the OP. Midway order due in tomorrow with the extras so I can join in on the 32ACP fun. Big thank you to all for the helpful posts here in this thread. Gp Oh, by the way Classic has original Beretta magazines (used but as new) for $40 shipped.

First range trip with the Beretta 81 this afternoon First loads functioned perfectly (71gr. Berry's RN over 2.3 grs.HP38) What sweet shooting little pistols. Gp

Today ran some water jug expansion tests of Hornady .312" diameter 100-grain XTP in Starline brass, Remington 1-1/2 primer, 3 grains AutoComp at 0.955" ctg. OAL, velocity 940 fps from the Beretta 81 pistol with 3.8" barrel, blew first water jug apart, stuck in back side of 4th jug. Equals .380 ACP payload and velocity.

Attachment 258082Attachment 258083Attachment 258084

These are same 3 grain AutoComp charge, but fired from 3.4" barrel Beretta M1935.

At left is the .309" diameter, 90-grain Hornady XTP (no cannelure) and at right 85-grain Hornady XTP .312" diameter, which should be used ONLY if your barrel slugs larger than .310" groove diameter. Chronographs 930 fps from 3.4" barrel.

Attachment 258085

These are +P+ loads not for casual high volume training or practice use, but only for serious business if you want your light alloy frame Beretta 1935 postwar, or former police Model 81s to last. They are fine as a steady diet in the sturdy WW2 era STEEL-frame M1935 Berettas, CZ27, CZ50, Walther PP, Colt M1903, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345