RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 81s range report

Ours have surprisingly heavy recoil springs. Mrs. Thumbcocker needed to cock the hammer to cycle the slide. I just scored some Fiochi hardball rated at 1000 fps. No luck finding. 32 acp does at the local gun show.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Real Made In Italy Fiocchi 73-grain hardball is among the best .32 ACP there is. It ranks right up there with RWS, Geco, Sako and Norma as for accuracy and having the best brass for reloading.

The Czech S-B ammo is also good as to velocity, although the brass from it is not.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I ordered my fiocchi from Buds, think it was 10.86 per 50 and shipping was another 10$. Shipping was the same for 1 box or 5 boxes, still the best price I found online.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Is this pistols the aluminum or steel frame just wondering ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Is this pistols the aluminum or steel frame just wondering ?
    From what I can find online the Beretta 81s are all alloy frame. but mine has not arrived yet to confirm.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Beretta 81 series guns all have aluminum frames, including the 380 and 22 versions.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. From what I have read I thought some where steel frame. Glad to know that there all aluminum frame. It should match or close to my 92 FS
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 08-25-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the Beretta 81 series guns. Note the interchangeable parts as well.
    https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=94273

Boolit Master
    From what I have read on the bretta forum the hammer and slide springs are the same on the model 81 32apc and the 380 model I thank 84 or 85 . Also it said the 380 mags and barrel will change out also making a 32 into a 380 only with a mag and barrel swap . Sounds cool
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 08-25-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Found on the bretta forum about changing calibers. change caliber between .380 ACP and .32 ACP on any 81, 82, 83, 84, or 85, all that is required is to change the barrel and the double stack magazine (single stack magazines in .32 and .380 are identical except for engraving and witness holes). If desired, the entire slide assembly may be changed between models of the same version, e.g., 81FS, 82FS, 83FS, 84FS and 85FS.
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 08-25-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Has any body go there pistols in yet. What quality are they? Hope to see some pictures soon. I just got a email today that mine has just shipped

Picked mine up tonight, sure glad I spent the 20$ for "best of 10" it looks new.

I'm not kidding. Blueing is black and shiny with no pits. A few scratches in the plastic grips around the screw heads. Other than that it looks new. Took me about 2 minutes to figure out how it takes apart. Would have been a lot faster if I had dropped the mag first.

Gave it a light oiling and wipedown just cause. Barrel looks good, rifling is deep and wide, does not look worn. Little bit of dark in the bottoms of the grooves. I'll get that out, just takes a few cleanings and shootings.

Anyone have a good IWB or belt clip type nylon holster for these that would fit right?

Before I can shoot it I will have to go buy a couple of boxes of ammo. Should not be a big problem.

I REALLY like the feel of this little girl. Ohh and it has a good light trigger too.

Needs a drop of white out on the front sight.

I'm a happy camper. No hot loads here, from the research I've seen so far I'll be starting at 1.6 gr of Red Dot.

Boolit Master
    Is yours one of the 81BB versions they are selling now or a no letter 81 from the first batch? I been wondering what the latest batch look like.

Boolit Master
    Post a picture if you can. I also went with the 20$ hand picked. I usually never do the 20$ hand picked. Most of the time when the gun companies get the new shipments in there all good shape. It’s usually a waste of money. But if it’s only a small shipment or selling out really fast like these are it usually helps. Where did you order yours from my gun shipped from DK in Virginia. Supposed to be at my dealer on Tuesday . I noticed Brownells also have them for sale and a few other places. They must be importing a bunch of them

Got mine from Classic Firearms. My FFL says he has seen some 20 of them come through his hands in the last 2 weeks.

Left side frame reads "Pietro Beretta Gardone V.T. cal 7.65 Made in Italy
    D81997w"

Right side reads
    "PB-Mod 81-patented
    Cat 4"

Has what appears to be 4 proof marks on the forward trigger housing right side.

And a "P8" below the take down lever.

Having trouble transfering files from phone to this laptop running Mint 18 and thence to this forum. Not sure why.

Here is a video I had watch early this morning on this gun. https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIxNjg...-pistol-review
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Ghosthawk, that is the first generation 81 (no letter, kinda like no dash S&W world). On the right front trigger guard is a square with 2 letters, that is the proof date. AH is 1981, common for all Italy proofed guns. Mine was very nice for the money, just a bit of finish wear on the edge of the trigger guard, mechanically tight and clean. Be nice when the surplus mags start showing up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baretta 81b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	247622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baretta 81c.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	247623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baretta 81a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	247621

Got to the range today, burned some 20 rounds of magtech FMJ's through it.

Started a little sloppy but my last group was a vertical line of 4 bullets, less than half an inch between them. And 2 slightly higher and left in center of bullseye.

It will take a little practice but I can see a lot of potential in this little gun. Tommorow I start reloading those emptys.

Pushed a single oiled patch down the barrel followed by a dry one and the bottoms of the grooves are shiny now.
    Looks good to me!

Found a nylon holster with belt clip that I can use IWB or in a jacket pocket for 15$ if I want to carry it.

No hiccups at all today. Looking at it I see the mag follower seems to sit very high almost even with the bore. There is only a very small feed ramp. This pistol should feed almost anything.

Trigger has a fair amount of take up slack, then it is quite crisp and clean. Fairly light, I like it.

I am very very happy I got this one. At the range everyone who saw it thought it was "cute" Yeah its cute, like a baby rattlesnake is cute.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 08-31-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Picked up mine today. An "AF" date code (1980) plain Model 81. Looks like the photos of all the others. I did pay the extra $20 to get the "best of ten" selected and am glad I did.

Field stripping to inspect it looks almost new, very slight peening of frame where the slide stops, but no wear of of the anodized finish on the frame rails. Great DA trigger pull like a revolver. SA trigger pull just like a military .45 hardball gun.

Ran 100 rounds. It eats everything. Its 3.82” barrel length gives really good velocity.
    Nice handling for rapid, 2-second double and triple taps, very light recoil, quick recovery.

Chamber is tight. Handloads must be run through the Lee Factory crimp die, as any case slight mouth bulge from excessive crimp and the slide won’t close fully. After taking this precaution all the reloads ran, even 31-095T which has ¼” diameter flat nose! No bobbles with any of the cast bullet or factory ammos.

First tried the Buffalo Bore 75-grain FN which is only 0.915” OAL and which jams in every other .32 ACP pistol I own. It runs in the Beretta 81 like a pony trotting. POI is 3” above the front sight, all rounds well in the bull of a timed & rapid-fire repair center at 25 yds.using 6:00 hold. 1016 fps, 5 Sd, 11 ES for 12-shots

Fiocchi 73-grain FMJ 964 fps, 26 Sd, 65 ES, all in the timed and rapid-fire black, 4” group at 25 yards. typical accuracy for a .32 ACP pistol firing ball ammo.

Remington 71-grain FMJ 914 fps, 23 Sd, 62 ES, again typical grouping well centered.

Old Western “Bullseye” logo box, WW2 era 74-grain FMJ 1050 fps, 25 Sd, 84 ES, round 3-inch group was well centered in timed and rapid-fire bull using a 6:00 hold. Hottest factory load fired today, but I didn’t bring any S-B to shoot...

And The "Ed Harris Buffalo Loads”

Accurate 31-087T, Starline case, Fed. 200, 3 grains AutoComp, OAL 0.955” 992 fps, 26 Sd, 93 ES - Equals .380 ACP energy!

Accurate 31-095T, Starline case, Fed. 200, 2 grains Titegroup, OAL 0.945” 946 fps, 13 Sd, 36 ES. - Equals .380 ACP energy!

Inspection after session revealed no frame battering from 50 rounds of the Ed Harris Buffalo Loads.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-03-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Wooohooo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast