Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 81s range report

Boolit Master
    Going to pick my pistole up after work. It’s in yahoo

Boolit Master
    Got my pistol in today.looks better than what I thought they would send. Overall I like it nice.

Boolit Master
    It won’t let me post a picture of it for some reason.it never did that before but it looks as good as the ones above. Probably never shot much it’s just to nice. Now have to go shoot it

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    [QUOTE=GhostHawk;4717822]....Anyone have a good IWB or belt clip type nylon holster for these that would fit right? ...[Quote]

I got a Bianchi Model 6 IWB for mine.

Attachment 248225

Product Family #: 1336178830
    Bianchi 6 Holster
    List Price:$24.00
    Our Price: $19.20
    Add to Cart for Special Price
    Mixed Availability
    Compatible With:
    Beretta 84 Cheetah, 3.82 Inch
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-12-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I had troubles uploading pictures until I remembered I had not resized them for the forum. Cut the size in half twice and they load just fine. I used the "go Advanced" then "Manage attachments" then add files, browse, upload.

But it won't upload them over a certain size. Most cell phones and digital camera's now days are 8 mega pixels or bigger. So you have to downsize them.

Boolit Master
    Has any body shot there little Bretta yet. Except the one or two post. Will try to test it out tomorrow

Boolit Buddy

I own a new 81fs. I have shot Hornady 60gr. XTP, Fiocchi 73gr. Ball, Winchester 71 gr. FMJ-FN without malfunction. I need to shoot more jhp ammo before I am comfortable carrying them, but it gets expensive. Hand loads of Berry’s 71gr. TMJ on top of 2.9 gr. Unique and Meister 77gr. RNL on top of 2.1 gr. Of Red Dot have shot without a hitch. The small size of the components makes hand loading a mild torture or a labor of love depending on your perspective.

With a spotter till you get the right sight picture, it is not too difficult to hit standard clay pigeons at 50 yards.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Went out and shot my little 81 today. I shot factory fiocchi fmj ammo. It was surprisingly accurate at ten yards. Only had 1/2 a hour to shoot. The little 4 in paste on bullseye just disintegrated after 25 or so rounds. I was shooting slow at first keeping all shots inside the 4 in bullseye. I then decided to start shooting faster. This pistole is mild like shooting a 22. I could keep on target easy. I shot faster and faster and still could keep it on the target. I think I kind of like it
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 09-11-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Only thing I don’t like about it it spreads brass every where bad.

Yes it seems it is as bad as my Cz-52 for sending brass to the far reaches.

On the good news front my local range found me 300 .32acp brass at a nickle each. Just need to pick it up today.

Been casing some Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone. Made a dummy round, looks like if I can get it into the right place it will feed and chamber ok.

Boolit Buddy
    Said this a couple of years or so back. The 32 auto is the Miata of the gun world—not very practical but a whole lot of fun!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Said this a couple of years or so back. The 32 auto is the Miata of the gun world—not very practical but a whole lot of fun!
    If a red Miata is a mid-life crisis car does that make a 32 auto a mid-life crisis pistol ?

All jokes aside, I've always liked the Beretta 80 series pistols (models 81, 82, 83, 84 etc.) but feel the guns are a bit big for the class. They're well made pistols but a bit bulky. For that size you can get a pistol chambered in 9mm.

Looking at two pistols chambered in 32 ACP such as a Beretta model 81 and a Beretta Tomcat; you see one pistol that is very compact and easy to carry/conceal and another that is closer to a full sized gun. In Europe the model 81 would often be used as a full sized duty pistol, at least until replaced by 9mm pistols.

The Europeans have always viewed the 32 ACP (7.65 Browning) as a more viable self defense cartridge than the Americans have.
    The 32 ACP was much more prevalent in military and police use in Europe than in America. This is evident in the large numbers of pistols chambered for the 32 ACP in Europe; Walther PP, Mauser HSc, several CZ pistols, several Berettas, numerous French & Belgium pistols, etc.
    Those pistols tend to be larger pistols, formerly carried in holsters by police and military forces in Europe before they moved to larger pistols. The American 32 ACP pistols tended to be more in line with pocket pistols such as the Seacamp LWS32, NAA 32 Guardian, Kel-tec, etc.

While there certainly were a number of larger American made pistols chambered in 32 ACP (Colt 1903, Remington Model 51 and the Savage; just to name a few) Americans seemed to view the 32ACP in a different light than Europeans.

That being said, the larger European pistols chambered in 32 ACP are a LOT of fun to shoot ! (OK, maybe they are Miata's but hey ! what's wrong with that ?)
    A round nose FMJ 32 is probably not the best self defense cartridge but the 32 ACP is no slouch when loaded properly. Some of the European loads are rather hot and with the right projectile, they are credible SD cartridges. Some pistols chambered for the 32 ACP are extremely accurate (there's that fun factor again) and if you're not looking for a pocket pistol,...... there's a lot of good there.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    I like the beretta because it’s not small. If I wanted a really small concealable pistols then the sea camp or Kel-Tec would be great. I like the size because I can keep on target better if I want to shoot fast. To me it’s about perfect in size for what I want . I don’t need it concealed and I have my bigger guns longer if I need them.

I think the 81 is just right, not to big for my hands, double the # of rounds available compared to my revolvers, and really not a whole lot bigger. Little longer perhaps.

I have mine setup with a nylon reversable IWB or outside holster. Currently setup to go IWB on my left side. Yes I like cross draw. Also I don't talk with my left hand as much. More likely to stay concealed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I like the beretta because it’s not small. If I wanted a really small concealable pistols then the sea camp or Kel-Tec would be great. I like the size because I can keep on target better if I want to shoot fast. To me it’s about perfect in size for what I want . I don’t need it concealed and I have my bigger guns longer if I need them.
    They are fun to shoot.

Banned
    Back in the early 90's I knew several guys that had Beretta models 84 & 85 (double stack 380 and single stack 380). They were popular guns with the Beretta crowd and they shot well. They seemed noticeably larger than a Walther PPK, PP or a SIG P230 but they really were close in size. I guess that impression was more of a feeling than a reality. I shot with those guys, I shot their guns on occasion and I was very impressed with the Beretta's.
    I will say the Beretta's were very reliable and accurate.

I had (or rather my ex-wife had) a model 86 (tip up barrel) and that was a great gun on the range but far too large for concealed carry in that class of pistol. That gun went away when she did, I miss the gun.

Dies arrived today, should have 250 once fired brass in a day or 2.

I did load 6 rounds from 6 brass I found in my range bag.

All 6 cycled perfectly manually. Looks like I am soon going to be loading them up.

Load was aprox 1.8 grains of Red Dot, CCI SPP, 90 gr cast lead round nose. I'll be testing those against the .314 90 gr truncated cone watching for function, accuracy and leading.

Have to admit I'm liking the 81, it isn't huge, but it is not IMO too small either. Seems like a nice balance.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Law Enforcement is Italy is not like the US.

There are five national “police” organizations, State, Financial, Forestry, Prisons and Military, plus numerous other provincial and municipal police forces. The Carabinieri, or military police, the serious “operators” who deal with hardened criminals and terrorists, are issued a personal Beretta 92F pistol and a departmental Beretta Mod 12 sub-machine gun. National police officers carry handguns without territorial or time restrictions, but off-duty pistols are required to be concealed. A smaller, more concealable handgun of standard military (9x19mm) caliber may be authorized on a case-by-case basis for off-duty carry with command approval.

Uniformed personnel serving in administrative, vs. operational officer ranks, particularly in smaller provincial or municipal police organizations tasked with traffic enforcement, tax collection, white collar crime, or any low risk of violence situation, until recently were issued a personal Beretta 81 .32 ACP for on-duty carry only, and only in rare instances, a departmental sub-machine gun locked in the patrol car. Personal handguns of Italian police other than the National organizations are “holster pistols,” worn mostly as "badges of authority," which by intent and design were never intended as “pocket pistols,” because off-duty concealed carry was not authorized for those officers.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

About maybe seven years ago I purchased two Beretta Model 84's that had been recently imported from Israel. They were used but in good condition and have been great little pistols to play with or carry. When the model 81's became available I immediately pounced and purchased several. They are a high quality arm for sure and the price is right. Seems they are running at $225-$250 where new ones go over $500. Great value for such a firearm.

These have been my first .32 ACP firearms, and I have to say that due to the opinions expressed by many have never been really interested in the cartridge since it mostly will bounce off paper targets due to lack of power... Well, I learned something, and although the .32ACP is what it is, it most certainly does not bounce off paper targets. These little pistols have taught me something and are great fun. For the money, I don't think anyone can really go wrong.

Now I just need to head over to the Accurate Molds site and find something good to cast with. Maybe the 31-075R, looks like a tumble lube design that might be easier than lubing traditionally.
    Last edited by jrayborn; 09-20-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast