Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Blacking the topstrap/barrel rib

Blacking the topstrap/barrel rib

One of the annoying things about stainless is the glare coming off the top barrel rib and sight base that can occur with strong overhead sunlight making it hard to see the front sight clearly or otherwise distorting the sight picture. I found that if I shot in sun I would shoot to the left whereas under a roof I would shoot to where it was zeroed.

I read in Sixguns of using "lampblack" to correct this issue (which could be a problem even on blued steel that has been "whited" due to holster wear.

I have no idea of what lampblack is or if it is appropriate for a stainless revolver.

I suppose I could get a can of that spray on coating that Duracoat or the stuff Brownell's sells. Any ideas or recommendations?

I have used Dykem blackout to black out front sights but this is not really all that great of a way to do it. I'd rather something more durable and permanent.

Boolit Grand Master

smoke from from a candle, lamp or calcium carbide miners lamp or sight smoker is lampblack.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If you want a commercial product , google sight black , there are several products made to do that .
    A black dry erase marker might even work.

I use the spray on carbon mold release to tone down shiny metal. It can then easily be removed with alcohol.

redhawk

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    I'd rather something more durable and permanent.
    Sorry...I missed this part....nevermind...its not permanent.
    Last edited by redhawk0; 03-03-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: correction.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Lamp black was originally gotten from the globes of kerosene lamps. mixed with a light oil or alcohol it was brushed on for several uses Inletting, spotting, sight blackening, it is still used got inletting. Sight smokers that use calcium carbide and water produce a much flatter black coating. A couple rocks and some water the gas is lit and the soot from the flame is deposited on sights ribs and where there is glare. These are messy to work with as a light touch rubs it on hands and all over. Its not very permanent either.

Flat back model paint mixed with this soot or talc and dabbed on with a brush will give a more durable coating but not quite as flat as the smoker does.

Boolit Buddy
    Bead blast, or sand blast the offending parts, kills the glare.

Boolit Grand Master
    While not as permanent as paint, I have used a black Sharpie to blacken the front sight and around the rear sight of a stainless Taurus Model 85 that I used as a carry gun for a while. It did work and survived carry in a pocket holster.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    While not as permanent as paint, I have used a black Sharpie to blacken the front sight and around the rear sight of a stainless Taurus Model 85 that I used as a carry gun for a while. It did work and survived carry in a pocket holster.

Robert
    I have used black sharpie to worked for me and not that hard to clean off.

Boolit Grand Master

Soot from a kerosene lamp = lampblack back in Elmer Keith's day . The soot would blacken the glass chimney of a kerosene (aka hurricane ) lamp my Dad said his job was to clean the chimneys , fill the kerosene lamps and fill the kerosene cook stove , his momma was real proud she didn't have to cook on a wood stove and daddy was proud not to have to keep the wood box filled .

When reading Elmer Keith's books you have to get into a 1930's technology mindset, most places didn't have electricity until the late 40's and 50's ... Wood , kerosene and coal was it .

I use a black Magic Marker to darken sights now ...easier to find than lampblack !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Black magic marker is not persistent all. The least bit of abrasion or rain will remove it.

Sharpies are better.

Dykem Britmark Black is better still, but not persistent in holster use.

Birchwood Casey SightBlack appears to be not persistent...guys use that on their shotguns and reapply every session at my local trap club.

I want a persistent wear-resistant flat black coating. Maybe it just doesn't exist.

Boolit Master
    Most of the items I have seen used for what you describe are by design easy to remove .
    Something like cerakote would be permanent . Flat black paint would be in between .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Most of the items I have seen used for what you describe are by design easy to remove .
    Something like cerakote would be permanent . Flat black paint would be in between .
    Flat Black automobile engine enamel / paint is also fairly permanent once applied .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The touch up paint used on BBQ grills will hold up well. Tape off where you don't want it to go and spray lightly. Once dry pass a propane torch flame over it and it will turn dull black. Only issue would be removing it, not sure what would take it off once it cures and bonds to the steel. Other option is the black camo paint used on bows, not sure of durability or removal on that either. There is also a product whose name I can't recall that will blacken stainless, was recommended to blacken the welds left on the magazine cut-out on 03/03A3 Springfield drill rifles that were reactivated. This stuff would likely be permanent. Someone here may remember it or try searching the CMP forum.