MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1903 Springfield 30-06

Boolit Master

1903 Springfield 30-06

I realized that I have an unplanned military firearms timeline going. For rifles, I have an 1868 .50-70 Trapdoor, a .45-70 Trapdoor, an 1896 Krag carbine, an 1898 Krag rifle, then I have a 1917 Winchester .30-06. I guess what's missing is a 1903 Springfield .30-06 (and a Garand on the other end).
    A local shop has a 1903 .30-06 for around $700. I've read that it might not be a good idea to shoot an early 1903 (not sure of the date on the one in the shop), so do I want to spend the moola for a wall hanger?
    Suggestions?
    Last edited by Battis; 08-23-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Check Gunbroker or some other sales site and see what they're going for.

Dig around and find the serial number block that didn't have a good heat treat, you won't want one of them at all.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Is it a 1903A3or 1903A4? 2 grove or 4 grove barrel ?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Battis, until you get the serial # you want and I forget what it is, the year the barrel was made is stamped near the front sight.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Is it a 1903A3or 1903A4? 2 grove or 4 grove barrel ?

I saw the rifle last week, gave it the once over, but it stuck with me. I'll have to go back and get more info. I called and they still have it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Good source of info is: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS

M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.

A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).

CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. SUCH RIFLES SHOULD BE REGARDED AS COLLECTOR’S ITEMS, NOT “SHOOTERS”.

CMP ALSO DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, REGARDLESS OF SERIAL NUMBER, WITH A SINGLE HEAT-TREATED “LOW NUMBER” BOLT. SUCH BOLTS, WHILE HISTORICALLY CORRECT FOR DISPLAY WITH A RIFLE OF WWI OR EARLIER VINTAGE, MAY BE DANGEROUS TO USE FOR SHOOTING.

THE UNITED STATES ARMY GENERALLY DID NOT SERIALIZE BOLTS. DO NOT RELY ON ANY SERIAL NUMBER APPEARING ON A BOLT TO DETERMINE WHETHER SUCH BOLT IS “HIGH NUMBER” OR “LOW NUMBER”.

Currently M1903 and M1903A3 models are not available and CMP is not accepting orders.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Early production 1903s are considered unsafe to shoot by many (opinions vary...), and these are Springfield Armory serial numbers below 785,000 and Rock Island Arsenal rifles below 285,508. This information can be found in several publications, and the list varies slightly depending on the source, but not by very much. So you'll most likely want to purchase your M-1903 with a serial number higher than those just stated. Another thing to consider, the 1903s saw extensive use in two world wars plus some smaller ones, and many have been re-barreled, so the date on the top of the barrel behind the rear sight is not truly indicative of when the receiver was made, and one must go by the serial number to determine the date of manufacture; again, data easily found in several publications. Those were the two manufacturers until the Second World War, when they were made by Remington and Smith Corona. The initial production by Remington for several months was close to the original M-1903 design, but as the original production run of parts started to dry up they were gradually replaced by newly manufactured parts of designs easier to produce under wartime conditions, and the eventual result was the M-1903A3 with stamped parts like the barrel bands, sling swivels, butt plate, trigger guard/magazine base, etc., and a receiver sight rather than the original ladder-type. I don't know if the rifles made in the time period between when Remington began producing the 1903 and the A3 ever had finger groove stocks, but I've never seen one and my specimen is without the finger grooves. So the point is that one expects to see a 1903 in one configuration, and a 1903A3 in another configuration, but there was a period between these distinct models in which some variations may be found; all, as far as I know, made by Remington, with the Smith Corona rifles having been of the A3 pattern from the beginning of their production. Many shooters prefer the A3 design, mostly because of the receiver sight, and the low number safety question does not apply. Just like most military surplus rifles, the price is gradually climbing, and $700 for a very nice specimen may not be out of line today. Genuine, original parts are slowly drying up, and there have been after-production runs of many of the component parts -- another thing to be aware of -- some parts of lesser quality than those of government arsenal manufacture. You might want to obtain a spare firing pin (the tip part, not the striker rod), as that's about the only part that sometimes breaks in normal usage. Stay away from National Ordnance receivers which were/are a cast receiver made post-war and not of good quality.

Boolit Master
    I'm in a lot of the same situation you are. I started with a 1884 added a Garand then the 03a3. I have only shot the Garand but I find my self looking at Krags a lot.

You need to decide if you want the 1903 or 03A3. The big difference for me is the rear sight. The O3A3 has a apature rear sight.

Boolit Master
    There's some great info here. I'm going tomorrow armed with knowledge to check it out. I don't think I'll spend the money if it's not a shooter.

Boolit Grand Master
    My LGS has one of those too. 1.2 million S/n and it looks like its been re-barreled with a six groove barrel of 44 date.

Boolit Master

I have a national ordnance 1903A3. Bought it as a teenager (56 now), I don't how many factory/surplus rounds, I have put through that gun. I only shoot cast in it now. I do not know my serial number of hand. Just my two cents worth.YMMV

Boolit Master
    From what I gather all Remingtons and S/C’s are later production and safe for standard ‘06 ammo. A few years ago I was at a large gun show in Dallas. There was a guy with a Rock Island for sale. The rifle was pristine with a ‘44 Remington barrel. He claimed he was selling it for a widow of his deceased friend (who knows). It appeared to be unfired since it had been rebarreled and refinished. I gave him $500 for it. The s/n was 288xxx range. I’ve yet to fire it. My thinking was that the arsenal would not have reworked a rifle with a questionable receiver.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I realized that I have an unplanned military firearms timeline going. For rifles, I have an 1868 .50-70 Trapdoor, a .45-70 Trapdoor, an 1896 Krag carbine, an 1898 Krag rifle, then I have a 1917 Winchester .30-06. I guess what's missing is a 1903 Springfield .30-06 (and a Garand on the other end).
    A local shop has a 1903 .30-06 for around $700. I've read that it might not be a good idea to shoot an early 1903 (not sure of the date on the one in the shop), so do I want to spend the moola for a wall hanger?
    Suggestions?
    If it's not an early number "non-shooter" and it's in decent condition, that sounds like a fair price from what I've seen around our area.

Super Moderator

I have a very late Remington 1903, one of the very last before they switched over to the 1903A3. It's a fine CB shooter, although my aging eyes now lean toward the 03A3 sights. I still enjoy taking mine out and ringing the 100 and 200 yard gongs with it. Check the SN and refer back to Outposts excellent post for the low number cutoff. If the rifle and bore is in decent condition, $700 really may not be out of line IMHO.

Boolit Master

I still have three to date a 1903, a 1903A3, and a 1903A4,I 've read all of the warnings approx 34 rifles had problems out of over a million made.I'm still shooting mine.������

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Have a look at m1903.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    I have a national ordnance 1903A3. Bought it as a teenager (56 now), I don't how many factory/surplus rounds, I have put through that gun. I only shoot cast in it now. I do not know my serial number of hand. Just my two cents worth.YMMV
    Your rifle has an aftermarket cast receiver and was assembled with milsurp parts by a firm in California. Quality varies from acceptable to downright scary. The serial number range associated with 'low number' receivers is irrelevant to your National Ordnance receiver.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Your rifle has an aftermarket cast receiver and was assembled with milsurp parts by a firm in California. Quality varies from acceptable to downright scary. The serial number range associated with 'low number' receivers is irrelevant to your National Ordnance receiver.
    Have a good day, sir

Banned

About a year ago J&G sales had low number 1903's for $999.00!

An A4 will not have any sights on it other than a scope. It was specifically designed as a sniper model.

https://olive-drab.com/od_other_fire...le_m1903a4.php

I have an 03A3 Remington built in 1943. It still has the butt number on it, albeit a little faded currently. Pretty neat and I still shoot it on occasions. Good luck and stay safe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast