Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: first blood with the 300 bo

Banned

first blood with the 300 bo

we started crop damage shooting last night and I took it along in case we set up for some closer shooting which we did. Shot 3 does between a 100 and a 150 yards. load was a 110 barnes (I know not cast) at 2400 fps. Two deer dropped at the shot and one made about 30 yards and piled up. Pretty impressive for such a small round. Didn't pay much attention to damage done but one had a hole in the off side about the size of a quarter. Ill probably put it away because theres better guns for field shooting and maybe take it back out in regular season when a LONG shot is a 100 yards.

Boolit Master

Carbine or SBR? Suppressed?
    H110 behind a 110g bullet at that speed brings more than 1,400ft-lbs if my math is correct.
    Barnes VOR-TX TAC-TX or TSX are my go-to for supers as well as V-Max & Varmageddon
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Sounds like that round fits the bill. I like two hole shots myself...gozinta the diameter...the gozouta 4x the diameter....It's the formula I use to develop a deer load....obviously, controlled only by MV. My 45-70 load for 340gr gave me a 2" exit last year. I think I hit the magic number for that load. 1350fps MV.

I have a buddy who hunts with a 300 BO...but he's never taken a deer with it yet. I'm interested to see what it does myself....your post gives me a better idea of what to expect. I think he went a bit heavier though. 220gr? but not sure of this.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Sounds like that round fits the bill. I like two hole shots myself...gozinta the diameter...the gozouta 4x the diameter....It's the formula I use to develop a deer load....obviously, controlled only by MV. My 45-70 load for 340gr gave me a 2" exit last year. I think I hit the magic number for that load. 1350fps MV.

I have a buddy who hunts with a 300 BO...but he's never taken a deer with it yet. I'm interested to see what it does myself....your post gives me a better idea of what to expect. I think he went a bit heavier though. 220gr? but not sure of this.

redhawk
    Gotta watch those heavy (jacketed) bullet 300 loads for hunting. Most use a bullet designed for long range shooting in a 308 or bigger (faster) rifle, which just won't expand at a subsonic velocity. Pencil in, pencil out on the one my brother in law shot (as well as a couple coyotes we never found).
    Last edited by jcren; 08-23-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned
    been having great results with the NOE 247 grn boolit over 700x, 231 and 1680 subsonic H&R through a can [rifle looks like a toy but is accurate and hits really hard. 1 hole groups at 35 yards; haven't tried long shots yet.

this boolit was accurate for us over a large variety of powders and loads

If I try it it will be with the 150 Speer fp at max loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I knew you would Like it Lloyd!! Glad ta finely broke its cherry!

I have only used that boolit a couple times and it works. I like the SST 125 or the 125 BT. I got some 150 Gold Dots and Hornady FTX 135’s to try next!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    The black tipped Barnes bullets are made special for the 300 BLK and are considered by some to be the bullets all other 300 BLK bullets are compared to. I have a few boxes and they get used for special occasions when I need the confidence of the best bullets made for the 300 BLK.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Banned

16 inch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Carbine or SBR? Suppressed?
    H110 behind a 110g bullet at that speed brings more than 1,400ft-lbs if my math is correct.
    Barnes VOR-TX TAC-TX or TSX are my go-to for supers as well as V-Max & Varmageddon

Banned

I actually have a couple hundred of both of those bullets loaded up with loads the 16 inch gun likes. To be truthful I was about convince to use the sst because it (until I tried the barnes) was the most accurate but truthfully not by enough to matter. What got me nervous was the internet (I KNOW). I look along time at reviews of the bo with those bullets and some liked them both and both had people that claimed they didn't work well. EVERY review of the 110 barnes was 5 star and about everyone said it IS the bullet for that gun. So I bucked up and bought 300 of them figuring id need to do some load development. Well the same load that shot the best with the sst (raigh at one inch for 5 shots) shot 3/4s of an inch with at 3 or 4 touching every time. I shot one 10 shot group that was just a hole. That's better performance then most heavy barreled varmint guns ive had and out of a 450 dollar cheap ar. Id like to try them all and shoot a bunch of deer to really get a handle on it but bottom line is most of our deer killing doing crop damage control is between 250 and 400 yards and I sure wouldn't be comfortable shooting past a 150 with that little round. told my buddy I might drag it around this year in case we get a close shooting set up so maybe I can shoot a couple more anyway to see. Maybe another year ill try it with the sst or bt. But answers from me will be slow comming
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I knew you would Like it Lloyd!! Glad ta finely broke its cherry!

I have only used that boolit a couple times and it works. I like the SST 125 or the 125 BT. I got some 150 Gold Dots and Hornady FTX 135’s to try next!

CW

Banned

Ya there not cheap. I can justify them because for most playing I can shoot cast and at 50 yards they shoot to the same point of aim as the x bullets in all three of my 300s. I keep a loaded mag in all my ars in the bedroom safe (where I keep my ars) All three 300s have a 30 round mag of x bullets in them. My guess is there probably the best bullet for that purpose too. I loaded up 300 of them and probably have 250 left and that will probably last till the day I get put in the ground if all I do is shoot deer and home invaders
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    The black tipped Barnes bullets are made special for the 300 BLK and are considered by some to be the bullets all other 300 BLK bullets are compared to. I have a few boxes and they get used for special occasions when I need the confidence of the best bullets made for the 300 BLK.

Thanks, Dinny

Boolit Buddy
    I used my Sota upper 300 BO last deer season to take a button head and a 9 point at 89 yards with neck shots using 110 grain hp over 1680 don't remember the fps on these but very accurate out to 100 yards.

Boolit Master

I couldnt agree more with your 150 max range. (I dont even like to shoot that far!)

One of the first deer I shot with the round was shot with a Sierra 125 G exposed lead flat point HP. Its made for the 30/30 reduced loads. Anyhow it was very accurate. I shot a big woodchuck a couple Months before deer season. The bullet was in and out with dime sized exit. I was worried it might over expand so I wanted to try it on flesh n blood. Deer season opened. 8 am a nice 6 pt walked out the swamp at about fourty yards. Like all older deer do kept to the edges and out of my line of fire. That was untill he climbed the ridge and crossed the tote road about 165yards above me. (I was in a elevated stand) it was a pretty hard angle and I think he turned a lil
    More right at the shot. I hit about 1” forward of where I wanted. Right on tthe shoulder. The bullet BOUNCED IFF, the leg (breaking it) stayed under the skin. Exited the front of the shoulder and entered the neck just above the brisket. (His head was low) Bullet stayed in the neck mostly intact. The deer went 35 ish yards and was dead when I got there.

Same day, my buddy on opposite side of the farm shot a fat folkie again at about 170 yards. He had these 125 SST’s Both loads where close to 2300 fps btw) His shot was text book. Calm deer dead broadside. Just above and ever so slightly behind the heart. Entrance was about a dime. There was no exit. Worse yet, (for a hunting round) there was zero trama found on opposite rib cage FROM INSIDE! The buck bucked and ran. Went maybe 60-75 yards and died running. Much like a typical heart shot animal. Cannot say failure as both deer recovered close to impacts. But very poor preformance Im blaming lower vel because if overall lower power to start with. Because of these two hunts we limit this caliber to 100-125 yards. Just my limitation on myself with this caliber.

We have taken literally over a dozen since those two hunts. Most with the SST, I do not remember recovering a single bullet since. & more importantly we have never once lost or come even close to loosing a animal.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Gotta watch those heavy (jacketed) bullet 300 loads for hunting. Most use a bullet designed for long range shooting in a 308 or bigger (faster) rifle, which just won't expand at a subsonic velocity. Pencil in, pencil out on the one my brother in law shot (as well as a couple coyotes we never found).
    I guess i should have been a bit more specific....I don't use jacketed in the 45-70...My hunting boolit is a cast 340gr LEE FN at 11-12 BNH

You are absolutely correct about jacketed at lower velocity. There needs to be enough speed to cause that jacket to expand (peel back) to create the larger wound channel.

In my 30-06 I do shoot jacketed since I have it setup for much longer shots. I use the old 180gr Win Silver Tip bullets traveling at 2600fps. It will make a 3-5" hole on the off side of a deer hit under 100 yards.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Been trying 150BO GD for a while, running 1850 or so from 18" carbine. Supposed to expand 1400 or so, advertised .45 BC but IMHO a little lower. Makes it a good 150yd bullet (actually drop @ 200 is 6' and still 1500fps). About the same performance at 200 (~9" drop) as 125 SST. Trying to get my 145gr soft alloy to give same performance. Anyway,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCF_000073.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	249070
    Last edited by popper; 09-30-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    Whatever!

Banned

heres my take on it. 5 deer this year. All between a 100 and 200 yards. Only one made the edge of the field and even it didn't make it to the woods and left a blood trial a kid could follow if it would have. Id have been pleased if I was testing a bullet in an 06. Tough for me to say because im not a barnes cheerleader. We used them in 24 and 25 cal rifles for a whole year about 5 years ago and tracked more deer that year them the last 10 years combined and I mean tracked because blood trails were sparse. This bullet just works though. I did a lot of research on a good deer bullet for the bo and found that there were a few stand outs. The sierra pro hunter, sst, bt, gold dot and the x bullet. I looked at them all and what youd find is lots of good reviews and a few disappointments. Except for the barnes. Everyone bragged on that bullet and I saw NO bad reviews. After using it I wont bother with anything else. That said the deer hunting with my bos will be relegated to short range deer blind in deer season use. Ive got a lower sitting in the shop that I will build a 6.5 Grendel on after the first of the year and it and an ar10 will get a work out next year. It just puts to much of a limit on my shooting during crop damage season. probably half the deer we shoot are out at 300 yards give or take. The Grendel or a 308 would work for all but the 500 yard shots and some will say they will handle that but this guy like something with MAGNUM in the name when im shooting living things past 400 yards. But all that said that black out is like the little train that could. It works all out of proportion to its size.