Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp bullet weight...

Petrol & powder, Thank you for that information, and for all the effort you put into answering my question.

BCB, do you have a brownells catalog? They have a large selection of 1911 parts in a specific section and good for browsing.

My take on bullet weight is that the 230 grain bullets are the standard combat loading, where as the lighter bullets are for competition loads.

The benefit of competition loads would be they recoil less and are thus more controllable during strings if rapid fire. And also they use less powder and lead which makes a difference when shooting 50K rounds a year.

Almost all factory ammo is the standard 230 loading. So if you're going to run factory ammo as well as lighter reloads you'll have POI differences. If you think you're going to want to carry the gun, and probably carry factory HP ammo, that's a consideration.

Far as mags, not all mags will run swc or TC ammo without jamming, but any mag will run ball ammo.

Banned
    Having extensively run both the 230 gr and 200 gr bullet weights I have to say they are both good choices. I'll also say there are some outliers beyond those weight ranges but I don't think they are serious candidates for the 1911 in 45 ACP.
    As Bazoo points out, there's probably a lot more choices in factory ammo within the 230 grain selections than the 200 grain selections.

Back when I was carrying a 1911 pistol as a SD weapon, I trained with both the 200 grain and 230 grain weights but I wasn't casting bullets in those days. So most practice was with my reloads and a little bit of factory HP ammo mixed in my training to assure proper functioning in my pistol. In those days the Speer 200 grain "flying ashtray" was available and that required practice ammo to be loaded with 200 grain bullets to match the carry load. When using 230 grain HP carry ammo the practice ammo was 230 gr loads to match those ballistics.
    Because it was easer to find 230 grain hollow point ammo that would reliably function AND 230 grain ammo was just often generally cheaper and easier to find; the 230 grain bullet weight became my norm back in those days.

Fast forward several decades and I am casting my own bullets. I no longer use a 1911 as a primary SD gun, so it's mostly just target stuff now. I really favor the 200 grain cast SWC and believe it's a fine all purpose round for the 45 ACP.

I agree with Bazoo, you must take into consideration how you will use the gun. There are a lot more ammunition choices for the 45 ACP now than there were years ago. Good SD ammunition can be found in both the 200 gr and 230 gr weights, so I don't think that's a huge factor these days BUT I concur the 230 grain selections are far more numerous. I do think it's important to pick ONE bullet weight and stick with it. I don't think you need to confine yourself to one bullet style (HP, TC, SWC, RN FMJ) but I do think it's wise to limit the bullet weight to one specific weight.

As a side note, the old Speer 200 gr "flying ashtray" is no longer available but Speer offers the excellent Gold Dot in both the 200 & 230 grain bullet weights.

Boolit Master

Outpost has a really good finger on the pulse of the history. A couple points I might add:

Back in the Civil War era, the U.S. Navy was rolling with handguns loading .375 caliber roundball, because they were pretty much expecting to exclusively shoot people.

The Army went with handguns that loaded .454 caliber roundball, because they fully intended to "**** both you AND the horse you rode in on" The Peacemaker pretty much continued that concept.

The 200 grain option probably would have served in the old Navy role, and MIGHT have even served in the old Army role if they had stopped to consider what a copper jacket would have done to help with penetration. Kind of a new fangled thing, & I doubt it crossed their minds.

In the days leading up to the 1911, cavalry was still very much an active thing because Hiram Maxim's machinegun had yet to really show us why continuing with it would be a bad idea. Many of the guys involved with selecting the new handgun would have been either brought up by the prior generation of Civil War vets, been aging Indian fighters, or troops just back from the Phillipines who saw softball .38's not do the job, Krags not do the job, and psychologically needed a .45 or a 12 gauge to feel comfortable addressing the issue.

200 grains probably WOULD have worked, but they felt they had a handle on what DID work, and John Browning probably knew better than to ask a lot of annoying and unnecessary questions.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I too shoot cast exclusively in my .45s. you'll NEVER wear the barrel out.

The H&G 68 (mine a clone that we did as a group buy over at Castboolits, but pretty much everyone makes one) had been my boolit for years, but recently I was given about 5-600 of the old H&G 185 SWC bullseye standard ( I think it was the 130???) and I must admit it is accurate and reliable, plus it recoils just slightly less, being lighter.

Boolit Master

Fixed sights never seem to aim where my loads hit.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I have here on my desk what I hope to be the answer to fixed Novak rear sights on my Springfield .45. It's from Brownells and is "Novak Lomount Adjustable rear white dot" sight. Part # 625-000-010. I bought it a while back and have to take the gun to my 'smith because I don't have a sight pusher to get the original Novak sight out of my slide. Even after soaking the slide cut in Kroil I can't get it to move with a brass drift. If I recall the cost was about $75. The only drawback I can see is it comes with the tiniest little Allen wrench I've ever seen to adjust it with. But, once you've gotten it adjusted to your chosen load you should be OK anyway. GF

Banned
    Gray Fox, that adjustable Novak may be a good compromise between low profile and some ability to adjust the sight.

Burnt Fingers - if the fixed sights don't point where the rounds impact - fix the fixed sights !

On a 1911 it's easy enough to file the front sight or add a taller one as needed. The rear sight can be drifted side to side as needed.

The local gun store today has a Ruger 1911, full size with adjustable sights and ambi safety, used 650.00. The same new was 750.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The local gun store today has a Ruger 1911, full size with adjustable sights and ambi safety, used 650.00. The same new was 750.
    Hmmmm, I looked at a Ruger, but I don't remember if it had adjustable sights. I've looked at so many makes. Was that an aftermarket rear sight. If not, that might be what I'm looking for. I've sure had good luck with Ruger revolvers...

Thanks...BCB

It was factory, I asked specifically and that's why we looked at the new one. It was stainless but they also had a blacked out version with adjustable sights as well as the none adjustable sight stainless version.

The Ruger doesn't have the firing pin block safety either which is a pain if you're going to detail strip the gun for cleaning occasionally.

Boolit Master

It was factory, I asked specifically and that's why we looked at the new one. It was stainless but they also had a blacked out version with adjustable sights as well as the none adjustable sight stainless version.

The Ruger doesn't have the firing pin block safety either which is a pain if you're going to detail strip the gun for cleaning occasionally.
    I just looked at the black version and it has "adjustment for drift" is what is says. Does that mean the dovetail slides, OR, does it have a screw that moves it?

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I just looked at the black version and it has "adjustment for drift" is what is says. Does that mean the dovetail slides, OR, does it have a screw that moves it?

Thanks...BCB
    I imagine it’s a drift adjustable (hit the fixed rear sight with a punch) type of sight.

You may want to consider a SA Range Officer. They have several different finishes with several different price points.

Adjustable for drift would mean windage only, and by hammer and punch.

I thought the black version I seen was fully adjustable but now I'm doubting myself. Course if you look at guns for an hour it starts running together.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Fixed sights never seem to aim where my loads hit.
    I have the same problem with whatever sights are on my pistol.

I am happy with 3 inch groups at 10 yards but I aspire for better. I have tested my guns accuracy by letting people who are good shoots fire them so I know they are capable of great accuracy.

Boolit Master

Adjustable for drift would mean windage only, and by hammer and punch.

I thought the black version I seen was fully adjustable but now I'm doubting myself. Course if you look at guns for an hour it starts running together.
    Yea, that's what happened to me also. I looked and looked and I've now forgotten which ones were used and which ones were new. But, the adjustment-by-hammer seems to be what the ones were that I looked at...

I guess a brass punch and a fiberglass ended hammer and a light tap. Trial and error I reckon?

Thanks...BCB

I broke down and purchased a tool that clamps over the slide and uses a screw system to move the dovetailed sight. Easier to be precise with the adjustments that way.
    Once you get it set correctly, you never need to move it again.
    I have been lucky that every 1911 with fixed sights I have owned was right on for me. The only thing I need to adjust for is difference in height with light boolits.
    Even then the difference isn't much. Not enough to miss the 10 ring an a bad guy.
    Maybe a couple of inches at 15 yards.

Boolit Master

I see one of the LGS has a Springfield Armory model that has adjustable rear sights...

Is this a dependable brand name for the 1911. I liked the look of it, but it was pricey, but that may be just what it is to get the adjustable rear sight.

Any thoughts? I say that name mentioned in this thread...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master
    The Ruger SR1911 Target has the adjustable rear sight .

I think you may be talking about the Springfield Armory Range Officer. There are a couple of different versions of it but mine has adjustable sights, is very accurate, and very reliable.
    I would recommend that pistol without reservation.
    I have them in both 9mm and 45ACP. Excellent pistol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast