Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
PBcastcoRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Browning ~ A-Bolt Stalker ~ 12 Ga. Slug Gun

Boolit Master

Browning ~ A-Bolt Stalker ~ 12 Ga. Slug Gun

I'm picking one of these up this weekend.

NIB - Composite Stock version

I'm looking for opinions on a scope that will compliment the gun.

I won't be shooting past 100 yards very often if at all.

Who out there has a scope on their shotgun?, what is it?, what don't you like about it?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

The Nikon slug scope has been excellent for me on 2 shotguns. The BDC reticle is a plus to me, it will withstand heavy recoil and the old eyes appreciate the 2x7 magnification and very reasonable price. Went through several name brand scopes that failed under big recoil.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll look at the Nikon® ProStaff® P3 Scope - 3 X 9 X 40

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 08-22-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the exact same gun and I put a burris 2x7 scope made for slug guns on it. It has the ticks in the crosshair for slugs and shoots on out to 150 yds. They are a really great slug gun ………………………...curdog

I have the Nikon Pro Staff made for slug guns on my sons 20ga. It’s done very well for us the past 6 or 7 years. I still use iron sights on my 12ga rifle slug barrel.

Boolit Master
    Nikon ProStaff for shotgun. Mine are both 2x-7x

Vendor Sponsor

I have a Leupold VX1 1-4X shotgun scope on my Beeman R1 Air rifle which is the most vicious spring powered airgun out there.

It has lived for 4 years now and hundreds of shots and Leupold says it can take the airgun or any other gun I hang it on.

It was $200 and it's a Leupold. I don't see the need for higher than 4 power on a 100 yard gun.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-02-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I've used the Leupold VX-1, 1-4X with heavy crosshairs for years now. I have 4 of them; 1 on my .357 Marlin, 1 on my inline muzzleloader, 1 on my M500 shotgun and 1 on my Marlin 30-30. Tough as nails, no problem with any of them. I usually leave them set at 2X while hunting, shots are never more than 50-60 yards here. And those heavy crosshairs really stand out, even at dawn and dusk! They're short and light and sit right at home on any of these guns! What's not to like?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

I've been looking at the Nikon Pro Staff P3 2-7x32 with BDC for my 12ga 870.

Glad to hear others have had good luck with them. I like that you can go on their website and use their ballistic calculator. It'll give you zero and appropriate yardage for almost every load on the market!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have 3 slug guns that are scoped. I quite like the 2-7X leupold (which the ithaca now wears as does my savage 99 featherweight in .308) but for the money, I'd probably buy a nikon were I to do it again. Truth be told I would shy away from the 1-4X Leupold I have/use on my ithaca. It excels for driving (trim and light) and shines on moving deer set at 1X. However it's less than stellar on stand in dark timber. I had an instance where a buck was 75 yards away in the brush, I could see him quite clearly with my binos, see the whiskers on his face and the wet glint from his hooves while scraping but couldn't make out more than bits and pieces with the scope on 4X.

This ain't my first rodeo, I had to settle for poking him 2 days later with my 11-87. It has since been scoped with a 3-9 bausch and lomb elite.

There's a lot to be said for the fixed 4X leupold which I believe is now discontinued. if I didn't already love it on my winchester model 70 I'd consider puting it on the LT-20, which sports a 2.5 power steel weaver

YMMV

Last edited by fatnhappy; 09-10-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

I am trying to convince myself that I don't need an A-Bolt 12 gauge. That gun is supposed to be the cat's meow unless you have the means to own a Tarhunt.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.