RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 45-70 Govt 2400

45-70 Govt 2400

I’ve been trying to research as to why load books stopped listing 2400 for the 45-70 Government. The Lyman Reloading Handbook #44 has several loads... then poof! Nothing.
    I had read that Alliant was going to do some more current pressure testing, but couldn’t find any data on that testing or why 45-70 loads with 2400 stopped being published. I could only find one individual who had a poor burn and had to dig out a molten clump of powder from his rifle.

I know several folks are still using it in the 45-70...

Just wondering if anyone has a definitive explanation or just hearsay, which seems to be all I can find.

I have a dear friend that is still shooting it in his replica "Sharps".
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    If offers me outstanding accuracy in all my 45-70 guns with minimal recoil. As to why it's not listed.....no idea.

I use it exclusively
    In my custom Siamese Mauser based sporter. This load is specifically for my rifle. 24gr 2400, Lee 459-500-3R plain base, 500 gr, cast from wheel weight alloy and quenched. Bit stout in the recoil dept, but no pressure signs, and quite accurate. I'm guessing 1500 fps... If not more

And CCI-200 primer. These "honkin" spitzers look like missiles when loaded...lol

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ak_milsurp; 08-24-2019 at 01:33 AM.
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

I need a chronograph! Lol

Last edited by ak_milsurp; 08-24-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post

Me too. Never owned one. Keep researching the best bang for buck, but reluctant to pull the trigger on what I know I want..... Labradar

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lyman list it .I use Lee 405 gr boolits CCI std primer and 22 gr 2400 ,I think 26gr is max if I remember right .

Boolit Buddy
    My Browning 1886 carbine loved 26.0 2400 with a Lee 340 gr cast.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post

I've had several of the Shooting Chrony chronographs and have really enjoyed them.
    Years ago I was at the range and a guy shooting a couple lanes down had a Caldwell and came down to tell us that using the "Chony" was a waste of time because it couldn't possibly be accurate. So I suggested that we stack them end to end and see what the difference was. We tried 22lr pistol and rifle, 357 and 44 revolvers, then he pulled out a rifle, 223 I think, the biggest difference in the readings was 1fps.

I started with the F1, but upraded a few times to the models with more options. There wasn't a problem with the Chrony, the problem was with letting my friends shoot across it. I always told them, you shoot it you bought it.

Boolit Grand Master

All commercial chronographs have basically the same "counter' in them. The difference in "accuracy" is in the quality of the sensor and the scree spacing.......given a good "sense" of the bullet passage the larger the screen spacing the more accurate the fps readout will be.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I am also using 2400 as my standard powder in my 45-70 loads for my Marlin 1895SBL. I shoot a 360 gr. bullet with 22 grs. of 2400 as my all around shooing load.

Boolit Bub
    A good friend two houses down used 2400 in his old bolt action mauser converted to 45-70 guv for at least nine years until cancer got him. He never mentioned using any other powder in those nine years. Kicked the snot out of him every time though. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.
    Follow Me

Banned
    You can get a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph with FPS and MPS Readings, Sun Screens and Large LCD Screen for Range Shooting on sale $63.81
    https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-7200...g%2C208&sr=1-5

not the "Best" chrony but a great bang for the buck

Boolit Master

Midway has the Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Chronograph on sale for $109.99. I've had a ProChrono Digital since 2007 and am very pleased with it. The DLX has Bluetooth connectivity so you can link it to a smart phone. That would be a great asset if you're shooting where you have to wait for cold range calls.

I loaded a bunch of .45-70 for a friend's Trapdoor Springfield a few years ago and was lucky enough to find his deceased father's handwritten notes in a manual that he gave me.

The main thing about a chronograph for me is that I don't let anyone else shoot through mine. If it gets shot I want it to be my fault.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

pocco kelly gave me some advice years go. 22 grains of 2400 in the 4570 or 24 in the 458 with a 405 cast bullet. Easy on the shoulder, accurate and kills even big game well. if its good enough for him------

Boolit Master
    My 1970 copy of the 45th Lyman edition has 2400 loads for the 45/70. Good for me as I have a 2400 problem. Friend of mine came over looking for a custom stock that was given to me shortly before he passed. Very poorly bedded and was seriously thinking about how to remove the old bedding using a cross slide vice and my drill press. Instead I just gave it to him as it was given to me for nothing. Hands me a huge shopping bag full of sealed cans of IMR 4227 and Hercules 2400. Well he saved me from trying to mill out the old bedding out of that stock. He later told me that it took over four hours using different milling bits as well as you know Rem 700's are round actions. He used the flat faced mills to get the bulk out then switched to ball end mills to skim the sides and actually worked well and the good old dremel to grind out the remaining compound. Then rebedded a Rem 700 with a varmint weight or even heavier style barrel.Frank