Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Herters die

Boolit Master

Herters die

Has anyone ever seen or used a Herters Professional seating die? It has a micrometer adjustment for depth.

Boolit Master
    I have a set. I can’t seem to to find it though. I haven’t used it, but I figured that they work just like my Redding micrometer for setting bullet depth.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    That's what I thought, I just never saw one before. I've led a sheltered life I guess.

Banned
    They work ok, though not as finely made has the more expensive brands.
    Remove the thimble cap and put an O ring over the lower threads and coat with silicone grease and you will notice a big improvement.

They were part of Herter's Mk IV die sets and made by C-H.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6840.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	247101
    Last edited by Pressman; 08-22-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The Herter's Professional Match seating die , by itself , sold for $4.57 in 1968 .

A complete 2 die set ...$9.97

A complete 3 die set ...$11.67

And these were the expensive dies...

The Mark I basic dies in 30-06 , were $4.79 .
    I'm still using the 30-06 and 41 magnum dies I bought from them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    George L. Herter was the Richard Lee of his period and, for the most part, he sold quite good and effective sports goods. Like Sears & Roebuck, he made nothing but contracted with many suppliers for various items and had his labels stuck on them. And, like Lee, he provided good stuff at good to wonderful prices. Alas, LBJ's Democrat government got a hard on for him and eventually bankrupted him.

Like Lee's dies today, the old Herter's dies are quite good. I still have a few from 1967 and they still work as well as any others. The micrometer feature on his seating dies were good for one thing; quickly making small changes in seating depth. I've never had any problem with setting or resetting bullets where I want them so I never got one of those dies.

Wish I had, I sure do miss Herter's and his "World Famous, Model Perfect" whatever. But, at the time, even his prices meant far more work week hours than many of us working stiffs with young families could afford to indulge ourselves.

Boolit Master
    Back Then (Not today!) GONRA got some good stuff from 50 + year olde Herter's phunny catalogs:
    125 grain 7mm bullets for .276 Pedersen loading. Should had bought a ton of those!

"George L. Herter was the Richard Lee of his period and, for the most part, he sold quite good and effective sports goods. Like Sears & Roebuck, he made nothing but contracted with many suppliers for various items and had his labels stuck on them. And, like Lee, he provided good stuff at good to wonderful prices. Alas, LBJ's Democrat government got a hard on for him and eventually bankrupted him."

Not all truth. Herter's did manufacture a lot of his own stuff. If I'm not mistaken, Dies were made in Mitchell, SD. I know the Power Sleds (snowmobiles) were made in Waseca, MN. Of course they were the best available, if you didn't believe just ask. I believe it was an exotic endangered bird's feather that shut him down.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Not that it matters but to say a man "made" something in commercial volumes requires he owned the manufactoring plant. I don't believe ol' George L. Herter actually owned any snowmobile making plant, nor anything else. I know his loading dies, presses, powder measures and scales were made by an assortment of guys who owned machine shops and foundries under contract.

You are right that the final straw the L.B.J. gov. used to break him was indeed over importing some feather he was selling to fly tyers.

Boolit Master
    I own several powder scales but the one I use every time I load is a Herter I bought in 1959. I have the Herter powder measure as well.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN