WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: maximum méplat

Boolit Master
    will experiment with crimp no crimp yes
    to do this may have to go with reloader 2400
    since the 110 and 296 need crimp to burn correctly
    will putting the bullet against the rifling help in burning the 110 and 296 this in acting like a crimp

Boolit Grand Master

"since the 110 and 296 need crimp to burn correctly"

I do not find that to be the case with H110 under the 429244 and now the 429640 in the Contender. That is because there is no cylinder throat (freebore) in the Contender as there is none in your Ruger #1. It's completely different in those vs a revolver. Loading to the lands in your 44 Magnum rifle is no different than loading cast in other chambering's in that regard.....there is little need for the crimp. Even with such powders as H110/296.

Consider H110 is a fairly popular powder in Schuetzen matches. The shoot plain based bullets at 1300 - 1400 fps +/- at much lower pressures than you will in your 44 magnum. The H110 will burn quite efficiently in your 44 Magnum under either bullet you mention with top end loads without a crimp.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry
    this is good news for me
    in my Ruger no 1 in 4570 never used a crimp
    just a taper crimp to remove the bell
    and this way will be able to seat the bullet in order to just touch the lands getting more space in the case and keep pressure down because I don't like to load hot.....

great. I see everything is falling in the correct place......

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Hahaha! I have never crimped .45-70 or .44 mag. In my 1894 I got quite good results using H110 and heavy boolits though I tend to use IMR4227 for the most part these days because it works well too and I use it in my .308 and .303's.

Back to the "Hahaha"... a friend was looking to by a .44 mag revolver and wanted to try my handloads so off the range we went and first shot the cylinder jams... ***? Silly me! No crimp! The other boolits were jumping forward on recoil! Oooops! so we took to loading single rounds in the revolver. Worked just fine without crimp there too as long as we didn't load up the cylinder. I do not recall if those loads were H110 or IMR4227.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I am happy to hear this
    single shot Ruger no 1
    so no crimp
    thank you for confirmation

Boolit Master
    Interesting posts!

I do use a light crimp on my RUGER #1 - 45/70 loads for one reason. It seemed to give me a bit better consistency then with the un-crimped loads.

I also crimp my .44 mag rifle loads simply because I maintain the same die settings for the rifle - RUGER 77/44 - as with my handgun.

However, considering my 5.5" RUGER RedHawk is up for sale, with this Ol'Coot finding that shooting the .44 hand gun is not nearly as much fun to shoot years back, maybe I'll need to try some un-crimped loads in the rifle.

Accuracy in the 45/70 --------- Well, a bit of experimentation and testing might show some preferences and considering crimping is simply a matter of proper adjustment of the seating/crimping die there is little to no reason not to do so IF it should happen to provide better results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmmm..... not sure if you are interested but... I was (and still am to an extent) toying with the idea of a .44 "Whisper" using a heavy boolit of about 400 grs. I found an article on Gunwriters on the web that showed a .45 cal. subsonic boolit design by Dr. Dick Gunn. At .45 cal. it weighed 480 grs. and states "for .45 Colt" which seems odd and the drawing shows 0.458" and it seems to me the article talked about .45-70. Anyway, I scaled it down to .44 (0.434") and it weighs in at 400+ grs.

I think 1:20" is enough to stabilize it though 1:18" is probably better. Dick Gunn recommends 1:16" twist for subsonic. Of course it could be lightened/shortened somewhat too. It might be too long for a .44 mag. to get enough boolit in the brass so it would chamber so might require a longer than normal throat or a change to a nose/bore rider design which would work fine for single shot.

Anyway, here's is a pic just in case:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qa45colt.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	247724

I was originally thinking of it for 444 Marlin but lately I've been toying with getting a .44 mag. CVA Hunter which also has 1:20" twist. Not nearly the gun your Ruger #1 is but more in line with my budget.

Anyway, just a thought.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I can find and post the .434" version if you are interested.

Boolit Master
    always love to read interesting post
    but for moose up to maybe 150 yard subsonic would be a real handy cap
    for deer over in Quebec this would be OK

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Interesting posts!

I do use a light crimp on my RUGER #1 - 45/70 loads for one reason. It seemed to give me a bit better consistency then with the un-crimped loads.

I also crimp my .44 mag rifle loads simply because I maintain the same die settings for the rifle - RUGER 77/44 - as with my handgun.

However, considering my 5.5" RUGER RedHawk is up for sale, with this Ol'Coot finding that shooting the .44 hand gun is not nearly as much fun to shoot years back, maybe I'll need to try some un-crimped loads in the rifle.

Accuracy in the 45/70 --------- Well, a bit of experimentation and testing might show some preferences and considering crimping is simply a matter of proper adjustment of the seating/crimping die there is little to no reason not to do so IF it should happen to provide better results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    I agree
    some guns and cartridges do better with a crimp
    I even apply a crimp on some bottle neck rounds
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123