Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 307-356 Winchester

307-356 Winchester

So I have a 356 Winchester on the way, impossible to find brass in Canada for it. Managed to find two bags of 307 Winchester at a local store. Ran it through a 338 Federal due then a 358 Winchester die. Now will anneal and load it.

Boolit Master

Should work quite well
    Tomorrow I will be testing my Win 94 Big Bore in 375 Win
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Yup your fine!

Same around here!! I have as many re formed 307’s as i do 356 labeled brass!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    You can form 307 and 356 from 444 marlin to...

And don't neglect regular 308 Winchester brass necked up. It works fine in both of my 356 rifles.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I neck up .308 brass to make .358 Win. My RCBS dies came with a longer tapered punch to do that operation.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by g26 View Post
    You can form 307 and 356 from 444 marlin to...
    That’s nice to know now that Starline is making 444 Marlin brass. Even 307 Winchester brass can be hard to find. Thanks for the info

You've got my curiosity aroused, as although I believe you, it shouldn't work so well. The .307 and .356 are rimmed cases and the .308 is rimless.
    So, since rimmed cases headspace on the thickness of the rim, not present on the .308, you must be headspacing on the shoulder. Also, I would anticipate possible trouble in extraction and ejection, but perhaps the Win. BB's extractor is springy enough to get a purchase in the extractor groove of the .308 case. Anyway...no problems?

DG

Boolit Master
    I have both a 307 Winchester and a 356 Winchester rifle (Model 94 Big Bores), and both cases are more like a semi-rimmed case. I guess so similar to the rimless cases of 308 and 358 that both of them work fine through my rifles also as the extractor grabs both of them without any trouble. But I bet they are headspacing on the shoulder anyway. With my lead bullet loads running a relatively low pressure for the 308 I can fire them in the 307 Winchester without any problems. And it ejects them just fine.

Thanks. Very interesting. Never heard of this before. I've got a .356 BB, but made the investment in a good supply of brass once time when it was on sale, so have never needed to experiment. Good information to file away in case of need someday.

I am late in responding to this one, but think DonMountain nailed it. The extractors on both rifles handle the rimless brass with no problem and I have had no problems with case separation so headspace is apparently good. I bought a good supply of 356 brass as well, but haven't found any "need" for it. I do have a couple boxes of brass from factory ammo that I used to carry when hunting, but the 308 has been all I have used for the last several years.
    Tony