Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts about the Lee Lead Hardness test kit?

Boolit Mold

Question Any thoughts about the Lee Lead Hardness test kit?

Just starting to explore casting my own boolits and this strikes me as a good way to see if I made the finished boolit correctly or not. Any recommendations or thoughts about Lee's hardness test kit?

Boolit Master

I use it and recommend it.

Use full for finnaly BHN if you have target goal. I use it more for mixing alloys. Inuse a lot of scrounged mistery metals. Good way to mix and match to get a desired BHN.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I have one. It is decidedly better than nothing. Still involves a bit of guesswork.

Boolit Master
    I like the art pencils test, a little harder on testing boolits tho, but fine on ingots.

Moderator Emeritus

I use the Lee kit and like it.
    Before I bought the Lee kit, I did some research reading comparing it to other methods...tests concluded it is just as accurate as any of the others. Using the microscope, holding it steady, having enough light, is really the only downside. There have been several solutions to this, from using a pop bottle top...to modifying a child's toy plastic microscope
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    They work, the price is good and there are mods for holding the magnifier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leetstr.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I use one & it works for me adequately.

Only difference is that I have not used the microscope do-hickey for some time.

Instead I take a red sharpie pen & color the divot, then use my calipers to measure the divot. ( I have used a magnifying glass to look to place the calipers on the edges of the divot, but after I got a better light for the bench I no longer need to do that.)

Then compare the number from the caliper to the scale provided with the kit & go from there.

I don't "have" to color the divot, but it makes it just a bit more highlighted to see sometimes. Also good if you decide to repeat the test for some reason on the same lead, it can reference which divot is the oldest as compared to the newest one.

Unless ya want to spend more $$, it should work fine for most folks, IMO.

Some like old pickup trucks & some like new fast cars to get somewhere, its one of those YMMV things.

The Lee tester still does the job, it just does not measure & tell you what the result is immediately. You have to do the extra steps to find the BHN yourself. So, to me, it is like the old pickup truck that gets ya there, it does the job.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to get!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

The most complained about part of the Lee kit is the microscope. But there are many ways to get around that, and Mal Paso's method works quite well. Personally I tried a few, but wound up using my magnifying visor and dial calipers. I just "bracket" the dimple with my calipers and use the Lee chart...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    It is as good as your ability to measure consistently, and it does a good job at allowing you to be consistent in a fairly standard way.

With pencils you can learn to be consistent inasmuch as "Is this harder or softer than this othe sample?". The problem is that two people can have different techniques leading to each having their own scale. They both get meaningful information but what one extrapolate to bhn 10 the other may consider bhn 12. Either have no problem blending and measuring the alloy hardness they may aim for. With the Lee tester if you get good at it (sample prep, application of force, time, measuring of dimple) we both should get pretty darn close to the same value.

Boolit Buddy
    I love mine. I use a table top hobby vise from Harbor Freight to hold the microscope and a flashlight on the desk. works like a champ.
    Tony

Get a Lead Bullet Technology tester and move on. No guessing with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Mal Paso has the answer!
    Use mine all the time.

Boolit Master
    I have one, it is usable, inexpensive and repeatable. I have fabricated the pop bottle holder as well. I'm not sure if it is directly comparable to actual BHN numbers but I get repeatable accuracy that I can use to compare my alloys.

Boolit Master
    As a novice in casting it now gives me a second data point other than the grey stuff melted in the pot.

If anything it’s a good place to start as been said by those more experienced than me.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have one and have not used it since I bought my CabineTree-style tester several years ago. The CT tester is VERY accurate, easy to use, works on any shape of sample, is totally portable (take to junk yard!), very fast, and not hard on my eyes like that silly little microscope thingy.

Buy what you can afford, but spend more than you feel you should, as you will have it for a long time!!!!!

Good luck!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Lee BHN Tester all the time and find it easy and simple to use. I did mount the scope in a "toy" microscope which makes for quick and accurate measurements.

Attachment 247115

Attachment 247116

Attachment 247117
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have one and have not used it since I bought my CabineTree-style tester several years ago. The CT tester is VERY accurate, easy to use, works on any shape of sample, is totally portable (take to junk yard!), very fast, and not hard on my eyes like that silly little microscope thingy.

Buy what you can afford, but spend more than you feel you should, as you will have it for a long time!!!!!

Good luck!

bangerjim
    Haha.

Prebans, (< The OP)

Looks like BangerJim might have one for sale at a discounted price...

Just having a bit of fun.

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I like mine. The only criticism is the magnifying tube. Ya have to stabilize it as others have suggested. Or do like I do and use a jewelry loop and your calibers. I find it pretty spot on.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one and use it with the magnifying tube then back up my reading with a caliper. I find it works well but for now I'm just getting into casting boolits and I need a lot of other toys before I can realize my dream of casting and rolling my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast