Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman J Shell Holder Question

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Hamish, I have to admit, as strange as the design is, that it does work, though maybe not for the mechanically timid. And, of course Mr. carp4 is not attempting to use the priming system.
    “Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own”-Bruce Lee

That would be a hard "No"on the priming system.

carp4,

As Ken says, anything that puts a lot of pressure on the outboard stations typically results in the threaded "ear" breaking off, so, forewarned is forearmed.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve only had direct contact with one such press, and the owner had it set up for 25-35, IIRC. He had an old Hepburn set up as his groundhog gun for use in Eastern VA. Fortunately for my sanity, I was able to avoid further contact with it.

Froggie
    Yous guys thinks you're comedians. It's not like it's an RCBS Green Machine,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Mold
    Appreciate the knowledge.

I don't have the parts for priming on it, I just use a hand primer. I think the priming stuff got lost when my grandpa passed away. I do have the metal tool box it came in. These two presses sat around in my dad's barn for over 10 years. He gave them to me when I decided to learn how to reload.

I'll start looking into a stronger O frame press for resizing brass. I'd hate to break the Queezy Loader.

Boolit Master

You have one of the early models if it's cast, these are the rarest of the group. I have the aluminum version along with a few die sets and a couple of priming setups.

As mentioned earlier, don't put to much stress on the outboard stations as they are prone to breakage if over stressed. These were designed for de-capping, neck sizing, priming and seating only.

I've loaded everything from 38 specials to 30-06 with mine as well as swagging 12 gauge slugs.

Nice press you have there!!!

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've never been a big fan of presses that lowered the dies over the cartridge case........just seems to spit in the eye of good mechanical design. Of course, that's just my prejudice so it doesn't mean much. I have to admit though, it looks like it should make a dandy door stop.........

Okay, enough rancor. Many of these presses were built back in the "golden age", when everyone was trying to find the best combination of tool and process for reloading. We can thank Pacific for standardizing the 7/8" x 14 die and the first viable C style press but the other manufacturers were trying to "one up" the competition, claiming their system was "better".

Back to the original question.....my Truline has an adapter that accepts RCBS type shell holders, which eliminates a LOT of problems. I don't know who made it, but I suspect C4HD from years ago. It simply locks in position with the original Lyman set screw and you snap shell holders into it. It might reduce the throat opening about 3/8" or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12