Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Thinking on a 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Master

Thinking on a 327 Federal Magnum

Anyone have one?

The Lipsies Rugers are calling to me!! I really like the birds head 3.5” as a carry/trail gun. But the Bisley Single six... WOW!!

Do anyone know if a set of Hornady 32H&R dies are long enough to load the 327 case?

Im sure the seater will do fine. But more specifically is the sizer internally long enough?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Have a Ruger Single-Seven 5 1/2" stainless.

I wanted Dillion, but customer service said the decapper head on the .32 H&R dies sticks in the bottom of the 327 case due to the thicker web area.

Went with RCBS carbide dies with a Redding Profile crimp die. I have the .32 Long/.32 H&R Magnum/.327 Federal Magnum dies. I have used them to load all three with good results. Since the carbide die has as sizer ring, it accommodates all cartridges easily.

Ruger is fun to shoot and scary accurate with .32 Long ammunition, impressive with .327 magnum. A .22 frame sized handgun that approaches the .357 magnum. Great trail gun, packs easily.

Buy It! You'll Like It!

Boolit Master
    I have the 4.6 single seven , I use a Lee 4 die 32 S&W set and it works great with 32 S&W 32 H&R and 327 , of the 3 cases I prefer the 32 H&R for the power levels I load the most , the 32 S&W is picky with the bullets it shoots well in my gun . The Federal factory 327 loads shoot great , but I keep finding loose primer pockets on the first loading .
    The Lee 90 gain swc , shoots ok in 32 H&R and 327 cases I cast the 100 grain Saeco rn it works well in all three cases as does the SNS hi-tek 98 grain rnfp in 327 cases it needs to be crimped over the shoulder to fit the short cylinder .
    Fun little gun that had a few issues when new , but works good now that they are worked out.

I have the NMSS ruger in .32H&R mag and to be honest have yet to drop the trigger on a .32 H&R round yet.

It shoots my existing supply of .32sw longs so dang well I just have not seen the need.

I"m past that whole "more power" thing. Nice, slow and comfortable is just fine with me. Especially since at this point I am just punching paper anyway.

I just pulled the trigger on a Baretta 81 in .32acp. Just because I can. And at 12 + 1 it has double the firepower of my little H&R 732 sa/da 2.5" barrel. Classic firearms had a good deal on Italian Law enforcement turn ins. Just over 200$ + 20$ for handpick for look, shipping, tax and FFl will be close to 300$ time I'm done. Still that is not bad IMO.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a S7, 5.5". The only drawback to the S7 series is the short cylinder. My SP-101 ammo can be loaded longer OAL than the S7, means I can do the 100% pressures in the SP but it gets a little dicey when the 100% loads are used in the S7, hard extraction, flattened primers, etc. I'm sure the gun can handle the higher pressure but I do load 2 different lengths and I mark the boxes. I drop the S7 powder charge a minor % just because I don't want to crowd the envelope too hard. I cast and load 311316, size .313, GC. They come in at a consistent 115 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Anyone have one?

The Lipsies Rugers are calling to me!! I really like the birds head 3.5” as a carry/trail gun. But the Bisley Single six... WOW!!

Do anyone know if a set of Hornady 32H&R dies are long enough to load the 327 case?

Im sure the seater will do fine. But more specifically is the sizer internally long enough?

CW
    I use the Hornady 32 H&R dies for all my 32's and that is also 327 mag. I have not had any problems, with the 32 ACP you need to change the shell holder.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I have a S7 with a 4 5/8” barrel, a S7 bisley 5 1/2” barrel, and a S6 bisley .32hrm with a 6 1/2” barrel. I also have a 5 1/2” half lug gp100 .327. They are all great, but my favorite is the gp. The S7’s can get a little tedious loading because the cylinder has to be lined up perfectly to eject the spent cases. I even deepened the trough on the frame on my stainless gun. They are all a lot of fun though. The 2 dogs front sights really make a great sight picture. I highly recommend them
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

I have a 327 BH and had a Hadi rifle made to shoot 327. I am working on getting a Ruger SP 101 in 327 . with the 4" barrel.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I use the Hornady 32 H&R dies for all my 32's and that is also 327 mag. I have not had any problems, with the 32 ACP you need to change the shell holder.
    THANKS exactly what I ws looking to read!

I picked up a partial box of 327’s this am. But looks like you answered the question already!

I sold a upper this am too, so now the hunt begins! I think
    Im going for the Bisley!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I have a Charter 327 Mag Target Patriot and love it. It's super accurate. The 327 does shoot better than my Model 28-2 in 357 Mag. It's easier on you hands than 357, and more powerful in standard loadings than 357 (you can hot rod 357 way higher than 327, as a 327 is already hot roded in it's standard loadings). You single action guys make me envious, as I just can afford it. Those single actions are way to pricey for this factory worker.

I was able to get some high quality federal brass for mine back when Heritage Arms was selling off their extra primed testing brass, so it was a smoking deal, so I bought a bit more than I ever shoot. But I was afraid that the cartridge would become extinct and didn't want to be unprepared for that. But now Ruger even makes an LCRx in it now (I'll have to get one), so it's making a small come back.

I cast the Lee 90gr boolit for it, and the Lymann 75gr boolit (made for 32 ACP) for it. I shoot all four cartridges in mine (32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 H&R, and 327 Fed). You have to pock the cases out with a pencil when you shoot 32 ACP, but they work. They are accurate at 7 yards, but that's about it. At 50 feet you can hit a 14x17 sheet of paper.. hehehe... But the S&W, H&R, and 327 rock out to 50 yards using both boolits. Though the 90's do make better groups at that range. I use the Lee die set. It works well. I use that same die set for 32 ACP as well; I just use a Lee 32 ACP Sizing die with it (the same for when I load 380 ACP, I just use the 9mm set plus the 380 sizing die and 9mm Mak FCD).

Boolit Grand Master
    If you happen to stumble across one of the limited run Ruger made of eight shot Blackhawk revolvers, grab it! I bought one right near the end of Ruger’s short run of them, and as I’ve said here before, it’s a Stud Hoss! Shooting 32 S&W Longs is like 22s and even hot 327 FM rounds are pleasant... about like a 38 Spl. Mine also serves as my test mule for my potentially hot loads as it gives me reserve strength, so over engineered for the 32 family.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If you happen to stumble across one of the limited run Ruger made of eight shot Blackhawk revolvers, grab it! I bought one right near the end of Ruger’s short run of them, and as I’ve said here before, it’s a Stud Hoss! Shooting 32 S&W Longs is like 22s and even hot 327 FM rounds are pleasant... about like a 38 Spl. Mine also serves as my test mule for my potentially hot loads as it gives me reserve strength, so over engineered for the 32 family.

Froggie
    Yeah, I love my .32’s, and that blackhawk is becoming a bucket list gun for me.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!