RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: 357 Magnum questions

Boolit Master

Smile 357 Magnum questions

1. My Match Champion cylinder throats measure .358, with only one a smidge tighter than the others...not enough to matter, imo.
    After slugging, my barrel measures .3564. I'd say those figures are within good spec., and think I should order cast bullets sized .358-.359.
    One of my commercial suppliers' .358 size boolits actually measure .3575. Is that enough to cause concern, or would obturation make up the small difference?
    Would .359 be a better size?

2. I intend to load for velocities of 900-1,000 fps, and they offer BHN 11 bullets. Is that sufficient hardness for my projected velocities?

3. Called Ruger, and they couldn't give me the forcing cone angle of the Match Champ. Zanybody know what it might be?

Thanx!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Super Moderator

I use .358 sized boolits in all of my 38 Special and 357 Mags. .359 will probably work fine, as long as they will chamber freely. BHN 11 would be suitable, I use 8-10 all the time with no problems whatsoever.

Boolit Master

No point going bigger than the throats, will just size em anyway and if pc it might scrape some. Size to the throats and let em fly.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

If you size bullets to .359 and your throats go .358, your throat will size them down to .358 as the bullets passes through. You may or may not get leading in the throat also. Pressure will go up slightly also but not dangerously so unless you are running max pressure anyway, and your SD will vary also. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

.3575" or .358" are the ideal size bullets for that gun. Assuming you are running about a 158 grain bullet, 900 to 1000 fps is a light load, you could get away with straight lead if you wanted, 11 bhn is great.

Banned
    The proof is in the results. While measuring throats & barrels gives you a good starting point, you're going to have to shoot it to get the real information.

I'm a little surprised the throats on a Ruger are .358", they tend to run smaller in my experience and from what others report.

If you're shooting commercially cast bullets you're probably going to be stuck with some very hard bullet lube. Some folks tumble lube those bullets to help address that issue.

If your throats really are .358" and your bore is really .3564", I think .358" bullets will be a good place to start but I wouldn't order thousands of them right out of the gate. Try a few and go from there.

AND finally, a BHn of 11 is FINE for your intended velocities as long as the fit & lube are correct.

My experience with commercially cast bullets was extensive before I started casting my own. Commercially cast bullets vary between adequate and horrible, so tread carefully.
    Commercially cast bullets are almost always harder than they need to be (although some suppliers are catching on and offering better alloys). They are almost universally bevel base designs, which is ok when the bullet fits well. They almost always have extremely hard lube, which is seldom a good thing at handgun velocities, in my experience.

Some other points to consider. After loading a cartridge, pull the bullet and measure it. Just because you started with a .358" diameter bullet doesn't mean you end up with one after stuffing it in a casing. And just because one bullet out of a box of 500 measures X, doesn't mean every bullet in that box measures X.

Good Luck

The commercial bevel base bullets have worked best for me if I tumble lube with lee liquid Alox or 45/45/10 as mentioned above. I tend to get too much leading if I don’t at all but the lowest velocities.
    Last edited by dogdoc; 08-24-2019 at 08:25 AM.

I have a match champ with very similar dimensions sized to .357 which I found to have slightly better accuracy and less likely to lead than .358. Like others have said, the proof will be in YOUR results.

I was breaking cinder blocks with my sp101 yesterday at 100y with rcbs 150g swc cast of coww behind a stout load of 2400. About as much fun as can be had, enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Petrol & Powders description of commercial cast bullets matches my experience perfectly. I would add that I have found that the fewer sharp corners on inexpensive commercial cast the more likely they are to be consistently filled out . A box of rnfp will be better than swc .
    I also have much less leading with Hi-Tek coated . I shoot a lot of commercial cast at 800 to 1000 fps .
    38/357 Rugers have been a lot easier to feed than 45 Colt for me.
    Before spending to much time measuring , load up some 358s and see how they work . If you want to load magnum level loads cast your own you can get better bullet designs tailored to your gun.
    You can have a good time in the pursuit of perfectly built cartridges for your gun , or a home grown version WW white box . We get to choose