WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Correct Primer For .475 Linebaugh

Boolit Master

Correct Primer For .475 Linebaugh

I don't know of I ever noticed the primer size for the .475L, so have used Large Pistol Primers. Since I have only loaded light to mid-range loads I doubt that it made any difference. I was just looking at the Starline site and they specify Large Rifle primers. Is this a change or have I been wrong these several years?
    John
    W.TN

I've used Federal Large Pistol Magnum primers ever since 44man and a few others here cautioned me not to use large rifle primers. I also took 44man's advice and replaced the original BFR hammer spring with a Wolff extra power 26 lb. spring. I guess since pistol primers seat a little deeper than rifle primers the 26 lb. spring will work better. After over 4000 rounds through the gun I have not had a single problem.

Banned

I did a ton of load development and will say this. If i could only have one primer for all 475 it would be a cci 350. There about a must for any ball powder and really for anything over a 1000 fps with any powder there the preferred primer. You can us standard pistol primers for unique 231 ect pop gun loads but for anything serious 350s. John invented the round and ive never once seen him say anything about rifle primers. Maybe you got the 454 mixed up with it. That uses small rifle primers. Even in the 500 Linebaugh 350s were THE primer.

Boolit Master

YES , CCI 350 all the way !!!! in The 475 Linebaugh.

Boolit Master

I've got some CCI 350 primers but so far I have had good results using Win Large Pistol primers with Lloyd's "pop gun" loads. Nowadays I can't handle the full power loads. I may fire one or two occasionally to remind myself that I need to go back to pop gun level.

Thanks for the responses. I guess now I'm wondering if Starline .475L brass has a deeper primer pocket even though it won't affect me since all my brass is Hornady.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    not sure if it's correct or not but I use WW LP
    or CCI 350's
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

ive used standard large pistol in the pop gun loads too. For the most part just to save on my 350 stash. I found more times then not 350s even gave a bit better accuracy with those loads. My guess is because 8 grians of unique leaves a lot of air space and powder out of position in a case that big so the stronger primer tends to light it off more evenly. But then im just guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got some CCI 350 primers but so far I have had good results using Win Large Pistol primers with Lloyd's "pop gun" loads. Nowadays I can't handle the full power loads. I may fire one or two occasionally to remind myself that I need to go back to pop gun level.

Thanks for the responses. I guess now I'm wondering if Starline .475L brass has a deeper primer pocket even though it won't affect me since all my brass is Hornady.

Boolit Master
    I used Federal 155, WC820 and a 400 grain Keith for six thousand rounds. The load ran 1163 fps and that was in a six shot oversize cylinder. Never shot anything but that load, and I quit counting after six thousand rounds so actual round count is much higher. John and Dustin were worried about pressure and breaking something. It’s still going although I no longer own it.

Banned

franks another one whos advice on these guns can be taken to the bank.

Banner Sponsor

I was talking with John about primers for the 500 Linebaugh and he said that switching from a pistol primer to a rifle primer would raise the pressures about 10,000 psi. He also said that he uses the Win LP primer.
    I use the CCI 350 for all of my 475 Linebaugh loads and have never had any problems.