Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 special very light loads.

Well they shot pretty well with no recoil at all (more or less). Made up another 100 with 125 cast WC and 3 gr Red dot.
    My blog: Please Comment and Follow
    https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
    μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

It is her 38 Ruger LCR. She bought it before she had the hand problems. She is wanting to shoot it.
    My blog: Please Comment and Follow
    https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
    μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

Boolit Master
    I will add, but it is up to your buddy/his missus, but I put the rubber aftermarket grips on my missus 357 LCR for better grip for the both of us.

Got rid of that problem we both have with having the pinky/little finger hanging out & giving the feeling of a lack of control. ( I "HATE it for ANY handgun.)

It did wonders & was worth the little expense for the both of us.

If your buddy/his missus are interested in doing something like that, I can give you a link for one that fits.

{ETA see below. Added so I don't forget to do it later if asked. I may be out of town a few days. "Gone Fishin w/ the grandboys. }

Up to your buddy/his missus.

Some folks like the little finger hangin out underneath. Complain about bigger grips & CC ...

For a firearm that is sometimes SD carry, I want ALL the control I/we can get, if I/we need to get er out & shoot.

The hell with them other folks... It ain't their *** on the line.

Don't worry about other folks whinin about changing grips to fit Your Buddy/His missus needs....

Tell your Buddy/his missus to "Do as ya think is right for YOU/HER!", & G'Luck!

-------------------------------

ETA: Here is the one we got for her LCR & it was inexpensive(about $17+ shipping) & works great!:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...grip-ruger-lcr

DESCRIPTION

Diamond Pro Series Grip Ruger LCR
    by PACHMAYR

Pachmayr is proud to introduce the Diamond Pro Series revolver grips. This new grip line is designed to fill the hand comfortably, with natural feel and point. The new unique shape is covered with our new "Diamond Plate" texture. This gives you rugged good looks and absolute control of your revolver, even under the heaviest recoil. The new grips are made using our specially blended rubber compounds, formulated to give you the long lasting soft feel you expect and the best recoil reduction you deserve. Features:

Diamond checkering
    Finger grooves
    Covered back strap

Last edited by JBinMN; 08-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Deleted 8-30-19
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 08-31-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My own experience in making light loads involved the 358-101, a 75 grain WC and 2.2 grains of Bullseye. I made hundreds for my two daughters, and found a few rules to help. Seat the boolit FLUSH with the case mouth. Ignore the crimp groove. Secondly, firmly crimp the boolit in the case. Both of these help insure proper combustion. If you don't, you will get crazy wide extreme spreads.
    Later on, I went to the 358-345, 115 grain boolit and a slightly heavier (IIRC, 2.7 grains of bullseye) charge. Eventually, they were shooting 148 grain WC over 2.8 grains of RED DOT. All of these loads were softer shooting than the standard 38 loads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little 38 boolits 001.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	247619These pictures show the boolits used, but represent multi-ball 357 loads that are a far cry from the light loads the OP was seeking.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
    Well they shot pretty well with no recoil at all (more or less). Made up another 100 with 125 cast WC and 3 gr Red dot.
    How did the Red Dot loads shoot?

Boolit Grand Master

Use that 125 gr. cast boolit with 2.8 grains of Bullseye , makes for very pleasant and accurate shooting .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Fotis

The 125 gr cast bullet is a favorite with SASS (cowboy action) shooters. They load it way down for reduced recoil and velocity. I suggest trying 2.5 - 3.0 gr Bullseye under your 125 gr cast bullets before buying anything else. I've loaded a lot of those for use in SD training shooters (kids, woman and men) with their small frame 38 SPL revolvers with complete satisfaction. I just used 3.0 gr Bullseye.
    Yep, lee cast 125 FP bullet and 2.8 grains bullseye. Goes bang and sounds like a real gun with little recoil. This is my cowboy bullet. You are shooting a load just a wee bit more powerful than a 32 S&W long.

That 2.8 grains of Bullseye load is listed in the Lyman 49th manual as giving 690fps.
    Not bad for such a light load.

Moderator Emeritus

360 round ball sized to .358" to put a slight flat on the sides, then rolled in LLA. Seal with a toothpick of LLA around the edges. Keep velocities between 600 and 800 fps.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I will add, but it is up to your buddy/his missus, but I put the rubber aftermarket grips on my missus 357 LCR for better grip for the both of us.

Got rid of that problem we both have with having the pinky/little finger hanging out & giving the feeling of a lack of control. ( I "HATE it for ANY handgun.)

It did wonders & was worth the little expense for the both of us.

If your buddy/his missus are interested in doing something like that, I can give you a link for one that fits.

{ETA see below. Added so I don't forget to do it later if asked. I may be out of town a few days. "Gone Fishin w/ the grandboys. }

Up to your buddy/his missus.

Some folks like the little finger hangin out underneath. Complain about bigger grips & CC ...

For a firearm that is sometimes SD carry, I want ALL the control I/we can get, if I/we need to get er out & shoot.

The hell with them other folks... It ain't their *** on the line.

Don't worry about other folks whinin about changing grips to fit Your Buddy/His missus needs....

Tell your Buddy/his missus to "Do as ya think is right for YOU/HER!", & G'Luck!

-------------------------------

ETA: Here is the one we got for her LCR & it was inexpensive(about $17+ shipping) & works great!:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...grip-ruger-lcr

I put one of these on my SP101 and found it is alot better to handle then the grip it cam with. I had put it on my 357 mag and wait for my 327mag to come in and later will put one on that one also The grips that came with it is alittle small for me. this works.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    I use a Lyman 358242 . I have the 92 grain version. With 3.5 grains of Bullseye it shoots about 600 FPS out of my S&W Body Guard.
    Low velocity low weight = very low recoil.
    You beat me to it! VERY light load!

Boolit Master
    Hot glue bullets seated over a primer with no powder. Instant death on cardboard boxes, and you're not going to find anything with less recoil.

Boolit Master

My wife loves shooting my 6" Security Six SS with 38 specials using the Lee 125gr and a light load of clays.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have shot 10's of thousands of the 125's. Loaded with 2.5 gr of Clays and never a squib. 10 shot groups of under 1.5" at 30 yards out of a Marlin 1894.

W231 would do, but I would start at 3.0 gr.
    I loaded and shot a batch of the 125/2.5g Clays. Nice load. Surprisingly clean. Got a Lee TL wadcutter mold on the way. Figured I couldn’t live my entire life having never loaded and shot wadcutters. I like the idea that they punch nice leaky holes in vermin should I decide to use them for such.

Boolit Buddy
    I've loaded some Lee TL 356-95-RF, which are powder coated and UN-sized in 38 Spl cases. It has almost zero recoil and is slightly louder than a 22wmr. I use 231 or HP38 powder. This should be just what she needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12