Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cry now, enjoy for years to come

Banned
    Well you were about 1/2 way to a Magma bullet caster.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Well you were about 1/2 way to a Magma bullet caster.
    I have more than once looked at the Master Caster. The output was very appealing to me.
    I didn't spring for the unit because of the relatively limited mould choices, however.
    Maybe someday, but two casting sessions with this # 503 mould produced well over 1400 bullets.
    That should hold me for a while.
    Next up, size and lube and reload.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

More like stand, drool, wish.

On a more realistic note, hard to justify purchasing a $2000.00 IR air compressor when all one is doing is blowing up bike tires. But then you spending that money on a casting mold would be no different than me spending the same money on a fishing pole. I do have one Rod that cost a lot of money and I hate it!

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    More like stand, drool, wish.

On a more realistic note, hard to justify purchasing a $2000.00 IR air compressor when all one is doing is blowing up bike tires. But then you spending that money on a casting mold would be no different than me spending the same money on a fishing pole. I do have one Rod that cost a lot of money and I hate it!
    I think there is value in how one spends their money.
    If you have a lot of money it kinds of loses its value. I think you really appreciate less whatever you buy because you can just go out and get another or a different one.
    I once dated a woman whose brother married into the (yes THE) Getty family. In talking with him over the years, it became clear that money has no meaning any more to them. There is something sad about that I think.
    If you have to think about the purchase and it stings a little if you buy it, and it is worth it to you, then I think the appreciation for the item is there. I have been known to pay a little premium for something is extraordinary condition or low mileage (in a car).
    I have too many Hensley & Gibbs moulds. I admit that.
    I'll probably thin the herd some day and only keep what I actually use.
    So far I have not been disappointed by any of them that I purchased.
    This #503 has earned its keep in its first outing.
    After casting some 1400+ bullets, it will probably be put away until next winter when my manic casting sessions get back underway. I tend to cast, size lube and reload as my winter hobby then shoot them all up in the spring, summer and fall.
    Winters are long and hard here in NH.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Agree whole heartedly. There is no placing a value on something that brings ones pleasure. I guess I look at these things that some people prefer to cry over more as cherished possessions. Such as these molds are being enjoyed and cherished by you. You must have thought they were worth the money otherwise you wouldn't have bought them.

Many times on some of the forums we see it asked, why do you need that gun or that big magazine or that suppressor. The answer is because I want it, can have it and can afford it. All there is to it plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Many times on some of the forums we see it asked, why do you need that gun or that big magazine or that suppressor. The answer is because I want it, can have it and can afford it. All there is to it plain and simple.
    Amen brother.....AMEN!

Boolit Master

I don't think I would ever pay 350 for a mould, as I find the 120 for the Accurate, Noe, Mihec and some LEE moulds work fine for what I do. I did spring for a Magma 40 lb pot, and keep thinking about getting another, but stuff for the kids keep being more important. If you cast a bunch in one setting it is really the way to go. You said you did 850 bullets in 4 hours and my first thought was, what took so long? With a larger Magma pot, with the 1500 watt heating element, you never have to wait for a pot to catch up. Plus, and most probably don't think of this, but it has a 2 hole pouring spout, so pouring time is cut in half. Plus the bullets cool at a more even rate from first to last. Without even trying hard I can cast 250 grain pistol bullets at 700+ per hour, with aluminum molds. Might take a bit longer with a steel mould if it gets hotter. I have a LEE 20 lb and an RCBS 24 lb pot, so I have compared them all. Once I bought the Magma there was no going back. Might want to consider it, it is a quality unit that works fine with your H&G moulds.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I did spring for a Magma 40 lb pot, and keep thinking about getting another. If you cast a bunch in one setting it is really the way to go. You said you did 850 bullets in 4 hours and my first thought was, what took so long? With a larger Magma pot, with the 1500 watt heating element, you never have to wait for a pot to catch up. I have a LEE 20 lb and an RCBS 24 lb pot, so I have compared them all. Once I bought the Magma there was no going back. Might want to consider it, it is a quality unit that works fine with your H&G moulds.
    You bring up a great point with the Magma Pot. Is it from Magma Engineering, the makers of the Star Sizer?
    One of the reasons it took so long to do what I did was that I was really taking my time and I didn't pre-heat the ingots. It took time to melt them and come up to temperature. While they were melting, it also gave me time to go through the bullets and cull the bad ones out and admire my work. It also allowed me to check on the wood stove and feed it as needed.....we have winter up here in New Hampshire
    My Lee 20 lb pot I have had for some 30 years. It has never failed me except for the stripped tightening screw on the mould guide that Lee sent me a new one free of charge. But your point is well taken with the Magma Pot.....I'll check into that. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 12-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm thinking that maybe that Magma pot may be one of those "buy once cry once" times for me. I've been fairly lusting after one for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I'm thinking that maybe that Magma pot may be one of those "buy once cry once" times for me. I've been fairly lusting after one for a while!
    Is this the one?
    Master Pot

Steel frame features adjustable mold guide for accuracy when casting molds with handles.
    Pot can be removed from frame and mounted to Master Caster base when a manual casting machine is desired.
    40 lb. alloy capacity.
    Specifications:
    120v/240v
    13/6.5 amps
    1500 watts.
    Price: $600.00

If it is, OUCH! Given the cost of the Lee 20lb pot, that $600 is a lot.....so says the guy that just paid stupid money for a NIB Hensley & Gibbs 6 cavity #503.......maybe I should just shut up.......
    ...but then again, there are much worse things to spend your money on.....race cars, motorcycles, crazy women, booze and drugs, etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post

...but then again, there are much worse things to spend your money on.....race cars, motorcycles, crazy women, booze and drugs, etc.
    Motorcycles do not belong to that list,Sir. Everybody should have a motorcycle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Is this the one?
    Master Pot

Steel frame features adjustable mold guide for accuracy when casting molds with handles.
    Pot can be removed from frame and mounted to Master Caster base when a manual casting machine is desired.
    40 lb. alloy capacity.
    Specifications:
    120v/240v
    13/6.5 amps
    1500 watts.
    Price: $600.00

If it is, OUCH! Given the cost of the Lee 20lb pot, that $600 is a lot.....so says the guy that just paid stupid money for a NIB Hensley & Gibbs 6 cavity #503.......maybe I should just shut up.......
    Yes, thats the one! I mean, ya can't take it with ya, right?

Casting heavy bullets or using a large gang mold drains the pot rather quickly. It would be nice to sit there longer between refills. Oh well, maybe someday!

Whats the old saying? "I spent most of my money on wild women and booze then I wasted the rest of it"?

Boolit Buddy
    If you want it buy it. Don't worry about what people say.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123