Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cry now, enjoy for years to come

Cry now, enjoy for years to come

I just paid stupid money for a NEW IN THE BOX UNUSED 6 cavity H&G # 503.
    Yup....stupid money. $350 worth of stupid plus shipping.
    But.....I will use it.
    The #503 is my go to bullet for 44 special and light cast 44 mag. I cast a LOT of them.
    I'll sell my existing 4 cavity #503 (2 of them actually) to ease the pain a bit.
    Like they say....cry now. The pain will go away.
    .....it's only money.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

If you get your cadence correct...that's 14 boolits per cycle....you could crank out a LOT of boolits really quick.

congrats on your new 6 cavity...it really does sound nice.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    That sounds a bit expensive at first but when you consider what it is and what it does; It's not a bad price to pay.

I'm a member of the iron mold club and believe that good tools are a once in a lifetime purchase. In exchange for that money you get a mold that produces a lot of bullets in a hurry (your time is valuable, so that's important), it produces consistent bullets (also valuable) and if cared for, will last a lifetime.

I don't need that many 44 SWC bullets and get by with a RCBS 2 cavity 250-44-K but if I was seeking greater numbers of 44 bullets; I would have spent the money for that new H&G six cavity 503.

I have some 4 cavity SAECO molds that cost far more than most of the alternatives and the cost was a bit of a sting at first. Looking back at it now, they were worth every penny and I'm glad I spent the money. I'll eat cube steak and drink cheaper beer for a month or two, it will be OK.
    Cry once and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I have some 4 cavity SAECO molds that cost far more than most of the alternatives and the cost was a bit of a sting at first. Looking back at it now, they were worth every penny and I'm glad I spent the money.
    I bought 2 45 auto SAECO moulds from Paul Fitz Jones probably 20 years ago.
    These were original SAECO (Carpenteria CA) moulds new in the box.
    I paid $150 each for them (stupid money back then), but they have cast many thousands of bullets and continue to serve me well.
    Cry once indeed......
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-21-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Was that mold on Ebay? I think I saw it. Nice score!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Was that mold on Ebay? I think I saw it. Nice score!
    It was......and boy did it hurt to pay that. BUT......I shoot a LOT of 44 Special (S&W 44 HE Target pre 24) and lots of light 44's (S&W 5 screw pre 29 and Ruger 3 screw Super Blackhawk).
    I guess I am a big bore fan.
    I just did an inventory of all my moulds.....some 40 moulds.....I found moulds that I haven't used in years....i found moulds that I had no idea I had....I found moulds that I forgot I had.....I found duplicates like H&G 130's 4 cavities...H&G 45gc 4 cavity ....4 different H&G #51's....pb, gc's, duplicates....SAECOs from the ORIGINAL SAECO in Carpenteria CA....Lee Group buy moulds....single cavity moulds that I wanted to someday HP....4 different 9mm moulds....
    I guess it is better to spend my money on guns and casting and reloading rather than drugs, booze, fast cars, or women.
    My name is Donald and I am a mould hoarder.....I think i will thin the herd soon.
    I paid $360+ for this one and I will USE IT! I need to get some money back for that purchase....
    Did you ever find your #271 (I think that was the number)?...as I recall it was a 41 mag mould.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-21-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I just paid stupid money for a NEW IN THE BOX UNUSED 6 cavity H&G # 503.
    Yup....stupid money. $350 worth of stupid plus shipping.
    I saw all of those. I pondered on the 503 for a bit, but I already have too many of those to justify getting another. Happy to hear it went to someone who will appreciate it.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by Texasflyboy View Post
    I saw all of those. I pondered on the 503 for a bit, but I already have too many of those to justify getting another. Happy to hear it went to someone who will appreciate it.
    I thought you would probably be aware of those. That's why I bought it as quickly as i did. I want to use it, not let it sit in a collection. I have a few collector guns that are new in the box and will never shoot.....the moulds, on the other hand, are tools to be used.
    I am still eyeing one more in that group......
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-22-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    How much do you want for the other 4 cavity moulds?
    I did the inventory last night and listed out everything I owned.
    I need to figure out exactly what I want to keep and what I want to sell.
    With some 40 moulds it is really time to thin the herd a bit but I need to ponder each one and how much I have used it and what I have that I will still use. There are a few that will never be sold....my son will inherit those.
    I'll post them here on the S&S Forum when I set prices on them.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-22-2019 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

It was......and boy did it hurt to pay that. BUT......I shoot a LOT of 44 Special (S&W 44 HE Target pre 24) and lots of light 44's (S&W 5 screw pre 29 and Ruger 3 screw Super Blackhawk).
    I guess I am a big bore fan.
    I just did an inventory of all my moulds.....some 40 moulds.....I found moulds that I haven't used in years....i found moulds that I had no idea I had....I found moulds that I forgot I had.....I found duplicates like H&G 130's 4 cavities...H&G 45gc 4 cavity ....4 different H&G #51's....pb, gc's, duplicates....SAECOs from the ORIGINAL SAECO in Carpenteria CA....Lee Group buy moulds....single cavity moulds that I wanted to someday HP....4 different 9mm moulds....
    I guess it is better to spend my money on guns and casting and reloading rather than drugs, booze, fast cars, or women.
    My name is Donald and I am a mould hoarder.....I think i will thin the herd soon.
    I paid $360+ for this one and I will USE IT! I need to get some money back for that purchase....
    Did you ever find your #271 (I think that was the number)?...as I recall it was a 41 mag mould.
    I'm hunting for a 258. And no, I have not found one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I'm hunting for a 258. And no, I have not found one yet.
    Keep up the search....it WILL show up one day.....

Just as a reminder please don't offer to buy FISH4BUGS left over moulds in this area.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

A six cavity H&G 503 NIB! Wow, what a great find! What does that monster weigh? Makes me think of “Unintended Consequences”!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

The pain of it's expense will only last a short time.

The smile of having it will last forever.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    A six cavity H&G 503 NIB! Wow, what a great find! What does that monster weigh? Makes me think of “Unintended Consequences”!
    I already have a 10 cavity S55 (.380 bullet) and I cast with that for a MAC M11A1 .380 sub gun. At the rate thing eats ammo (fires at some 1300 rpm) high output is mandatory. That 10 cavity is a monster......
    I also use some 8 and 6 cavity H&G's and they are not so bad.
    The mould guide on the Lee 20lb pot is an absolute necessity using these 6-8-10 cavity moulds.
    Actually they are not too bad using the mould guide.
    Without the guide, you may as well have Popeye arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The pain of it's expense will only last a short time.
    The smile of having it will last forever.
    I'll keep telling myself that.
    Actually i think after my first casting session with it the pain will go away.
    I'm kind of excited to get it and use it.
    It may sit for a while because I have a lot of 44 special/mag loaded (#503 over 8.5 gr WW231) but I will certainly burn those up.
    Went through 100 44 mag yesterday at the range....more to come.....

Boolit Master
    I have an 8 cavity H&G 503 and a matched pair of 6 cavity Ballisticast 503's after Ballisticast bought the H&G line. I always tell folks to buy quality even if it hurts at first because you will be happy with it and forget what you paid but if you buy cheap you will be reminded of it every time you have to try to get it to work.

Boolit Master

With that many you best have a big, big casting pot. 14 a shot that will drain 20 lbs quick. Looks like its time to break out the turkey fryer.

Boolit Buddy
    I already have a 10 cavity S55 (.380 bullet) and I cast with that for a MAC M11A1 .380 sub gun. At the rate thing eats ammo (fires at some 1300 rpm) high output is mandatory. That 10 cavity is a monster......
    I also use some 8 and 6 cavity H&G's and they are not so bad.
    The mould guide on the Lee 20lb pot is an absolute necessity using these 6-8-10 cavity moulds.
    Actually they are not too bad using the mould guide.
    Without the guide, you may as well have Popeye arms!
    I use a H$G 50 BB 10 bullet mold for .38's( Murphy Oregon ). That is by far the heaviest mold I own. I use a shelf type mold guide on my RCBS pot. I can't even imagine trying to use this mold with out this shelf. I can get thru about 1,000 bullets then need a break to rest my arms. Again as far as Quality,, "Cry Once".

I just received the mould. I have to say that you simply cannot duplicate this workmanship today.
    To think these guys did this in the pre CNC days is amazing to me.
    Using good old Bridgeport Lathes and doing it all manually is just amazing work.
    The edges are smooth and sharp and the finish work is just perfect. The steel is something that you probably cannot even buy today.
    I almost hate to use it......but that feeling won't last long after I start the first casting session.
    6 cavity #503.....new in the box.....look out production....here we go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast