WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone convert a Mossberg 410 to 44 mag yet?

Anyone convert a Mossberg 410 to 44 mag yet?

I was looking over the Mossberg 505 pump shotgun the other day, and it hit me, " this would make a perfect 44 mag deer rifle". So, anybody else thought about it? The extractor should be fine, feeding may take tweaking, but I think it could be done like a stub job. Thoughts?
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

410 is the same size as 45 Colt .
    A 44 mag would be too small

Boolit Grand Master

I think there will be pressure issue there. The 410 is realitively low pressure compared to the 44 mag ( or 45 colt) and the case heads are very close so bolt trust will be greatly increased. Also the feeding issue between the 2 1/2" 410 and the sorter rounds will be hard to overcome.

Boolit Master
    I'd just go buy a 44 rifle. No shortage of them... (-:}

I made a 44 cal. Rifled barrel from a raw blank to fit a Mossberg M 500 410 ga. pump.
    I chambered it to use 2 1/2" plastic shotshell hulls loaded with 44 cal. bullets for deer hunting in Ohio before they legalized some straight walled rifle cartridges.
    I loaded them to a lower pressure level than 44 magnum but out of the 20" barrel I got similar velocities to a 44 mag pistol velocity and it was quite accurate with a 4 X scope mounted on the shotgun. I only shot one deer with it before OH changed the law to allow some rifles but it did a good job. I would not try a 44 magnum on the shotgun action as the bolt is locked by a small lug that is held into the bolt with a small roll pin no larger than .090 diameter.
    If I were thinking of using a 410 pump to convert to 44 mag. I would use a old Savage/ Stevens M 67 as they used it to make pump action rifles in 30-30 and 35 Rem.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

44 Mag is way too much pressure for the design of the gun. Now in say 44 special you might get away with it.

You know, the 44 special might be the way to go. I had thought about the pressure and bolt thrust issue, but not too much yet. 10-12 thou vs 33 thou is a bit much of a jump pressure wise. Does anybody still make a 44 mag pump gun?
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

My Mother's- now my neice's- Springfield Stevens 67 .410 pump will cycle and fire 44-40 and .45 Colt shotloads.
    The old solid frame High Standard FliteKing .410 pump would be a good test subject, the 67s aren't the best feeders amongst pump shotguns IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk