Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: VV N-133 in .30-06 200 gr. CB load

Boolit Master

VV N-133 in .30-06 200 gr. CB load

I was fooling with this powder in the .223, and looking up the burn rate it appears to be close to win748 and 3031. My favorite cartridge is .30-06. Also, I had a can full of 311299 200grain cb’s, which unfortunately filled up from a roof leak before I noticed it. When I dumped the water out, the bullets had white lead oxide or carbonate or whatever it is, and brown iron rust on them. I didn’t want to handle them that way, so I let them dry out and then tumbled them in Lee liquid alox. The idea was to keep them usable, but keep the lead salts off my hands. That worked well. So, here’s the upshot (pardon the pun) of today’s range session:
    Load - 28.0 gr N-133. 311299 200 gr GC sized .309, alox lube, WLRM primer.
    Estimated 1700 FPS.
    Win M70 LH SS - 5 in 3.3 inches @ 100 yards. 4x scope.
    Savage M112 LH SS - 5 in 2.55 inches @ 100 yards. 10x scope.
    All in all, I’m pleased with with it, and loaded up 2 more boxes to try in other rifles. I did buy an 8 pound keg of the N-133 which no one wanted, at the L G S.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    Tried the load above in a Springfield I have had for 65 years. Flaigs rebarrelled it for me with a 26” target barrel and Lyman sights. (I was 16 then, had some money for working on a truck farm.) The 5-shot group at 100 yd was 4.4”, a sign of discontent for this rifle for sure, even though the results from the two stainless rifles were not so bad.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    I'd try a different powder/load. This was the first group I fired with 311299's out of my .308 Savage 12.

I don't think the water would have done that much damage to the bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190830_102613.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	247719

Boolit Master
    The 311299 200 gr / 28.0 gr N-133 is fairly snappy in the bolt actions, so I tried it in the M1 Garand. Shooting at 25 yards, so as to see what sight changes I would need for longer ranges, it showed it had not enough steam to function - I had two failures to eject, one barely ejected but failed to feed, and two misfires. Still, the 3-shot group was 0.7”, so I think the test showed that the load could be tweaked to work. I will increase the charge to 33 gr and change the primer from WLRM to Federal. I have never really tried to develop a cast bullet load for the M1.
    I did shoot a clip of hardball after, to make sure the rifle was functioning properly.

Boolit Master
    That seems consistent. 0.7x4=2.8" at 100yd. Not bad for an M1.

I have yet to try cast in my M1. I may have to after I get my .308 tweaked.

FWIW, I tried faster loads with the 311299 in the .308 and it did not like them. I will go back to the 1800-1900fps loads.

Boolit Master
    OK, here’s the results of tweaking the load for the M1. By the way, i shot the two misfires from the last test in the M70, fired OK and hit where they should at 100 yd.
    The load is 311299 200 gr GC, 33.5 gr N-133 (Vihta-Vuori), and the Federal Gold Medal 210 Match primer. I had no failures to feed, eject, or fire in an 8-round clip - the only difference was the “ping” of the clip ejecting was not nearly as noticeable.
    I fired 3 at 25 yd, to see about sight setting. The group was 1.9”, two of the two of the shots noticeably tipped. I came up 4 clicks (from the 100 yd FMJ setting) and fired a 5-shot group at 100 yd. It measured 7.35”.
    This load in the M70 measured 4.3”.
    I think this is on the edge of what can be done with the particular alloy of these bullets, which is a mixture of range scrap and wheel weights. I have never had super CB results fot the M1, so I’ll quit for now with this. N-133 does seem to work much like 3031 or 748.
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 09-25-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Add in M70 results.

Boolit Master
    Finally able to get back to the 100 yd range yesterday. We have been having wretched weather here in mid coast Maine, cold & wet alternating with wet & cold, so only shooting I have done is pistols off the back deck @ 25 yd; my friend’s range up the street has been too muddy to drive into.
    Anyway, the Win M70 LHSS .30-06 was handy, with the last mentioned 311299 33.5/N-133 load. 4 went into 3.05”, with a wide shot making 5 in 4.4”. Not great, but not too terrible. Also, the black flies woke up yesterday.