Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I got a notice today....

Boolit Master

I got a notice today....

I got a notice from the city that I was selected for jury duty. That in itself isn't a problem.

I called the number on the notice, identified myself, and told the lady that I have colon cancer and chronic diarrhea since my last surgery, but I'd show up as expected.

She promptly told me that I was excused.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

is that all it takes I have been called 2 times in the last 4 years
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I wonder if I don't get my enhanced drivers license being I don't have a passport how they can mandate I serve Federal jury duty. Can't serve if I'm not allowed in a Federal building. It's a real hassle to get to Fed court might be as far as NYC & who wants to go there?

One of Dad's friends years ago was a self employed stove repairman and in the early years of going it on his own money was tight as he plowed money back into the business. At a critical time for him he got a jury duty summons. He checked the box that said he could not serve because he was a felon and never got another jury summons.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

That reminds me, of the several times I've been called. Awhile back, I got three summons in 15 months.

Sitting there in one of the pools, the judge came out and told everybody,
    "You want to get tough on crime? ........Here's your big chance".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm odd.
    I enjoy Jury Duty.
    Been on four juries.
    I even called back asking if I could volunteer for more.
    They said "no".

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't mind doing it again, but they'd have to delay the proceedings for me.....and there's no special time when the urge hits, even with my meds....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

tell the judge rope is recyclable and can be used many times. I usually send a letter back with the summons paper work stating my health issues when they call back a say I need a doctors excuse I say will serve if they don't mind if I have an accident in their floor.

Boolit Master
    For some reason, when I ask if "Jury nullification" is still not supposed to be discussed among the jurors, I am quietly told that I am not needed to show up anymore... Imagine that... Have not heard from them in many years...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I used to stand up when the judge asked if there was anything anyone wanted to say after the jury selection....."Hang the bastard....he's guilty....I can see it in his eyes...."
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 08-15-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: word censor bypass

Boolit Master
    I was called once while I was still working. My work entailed traveling province wide with two weeks file preparation for the hearings. My employer got me excused. Here, when you turn 65 you can request to be taken off the list, so I did that. No more call-ups.
    R.D.M.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    For some reason, when I ask if "Jury nullification" is still not supposed to be discussed among the jurors, I am quietly told that I am not needed to show up anymore... Imagine that... Have not heard from them in many years...
    And that is 100% legal, regardless of what any judge says otherwise.
    Any judge that bans talk of jury nullification in his courtroom or jury is breaking the law.

Boolit Buddy
    TIL: about jury nullification. thanks JB!

Boolit Master

What happens in the jury room during deliberations is completely and totally up to the Jury itself. It is essentially autonomous, organizing itself, and conducting itself according to its own rules.

If the jury wishes to nap on the floor of the jury room, there is no one to tell it different.

I have been called many times, and have sat on 2 juries, one in a Fed Court. The jury room is roughly sound-proofed, with a guard at the door.

The Judge can stop you from leaving, but he has no control over what happens inside.

Boolit Master
    Guess I'm lucky only been called twice first time I was called sat for a couple of hours waiting to be picked was rejected for whatever reason,second time the trial was postponed. Next year I will be 70 and according to state law I can refuse to serve with no penalties.

When asked if there is any reason I can't serve...I just say "no...(snap my finger)...I can spot guilty people just like that"

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Take a sharpie and draw a big bold crucifix on your forehead. Pretty sure that'll do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Me & my wife, on separate occasions, got jury summons preceded by traffic ticket, so I don't buy the random selection bs.
    I was lucky that mine was at a nearby local court & I wasn't even selected to be interviewed, while that of my wife was in downtown where parking is expensive plus it took her almost a day to be even interviewed, but consequently was dismissed.
    Nonetheless, we still think its worthwhile as a civic duty in spite of the inconvenience.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

I was selected, once, but did not have to serve. The mere fact that a jury was ready to be seated gave the DUI perp the motivation to negotiate a reduced sentence for his guilty plea.

I was also held over for 14 continuous days as a potential jurist once (ordinarily it is a ONE DAY service - picked or not) when the case was a "sensational" media-circus murder trial. I was glad to have been excused from that.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I can't serve on a drunk driving case as my wife's sister and my BILs first wife were killed by drunks. An acquaintance was killed, while walking, by a hit and run who confessed to drunk driving a year later. That limits me to the biggies and domestic assault.
    So, I was on a domestic assault case for four days. At the end of the trial, and guilty verdict, we asked the judge if we could sentence the parents of the kids involved. No deal. Drat!
    The assaulter and the girl fought over both had useless out of touch parents.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast