RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Holographic sight vs red dot sight

Holographic sight vs red dot sight

I've been looking at this article https://www.outdoorsbest.com/holographic-sight/ and have seen positive info on eo tech holographic sights. What do a holographic sight have to offer than a red dot sight don't? Or rather, what are the comparisons? Also, why are eo techs so expensive? What is the advantage they give you?
    Last edited by Repass; 08-30-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Biggest advantage is a sight aperture that is quick to pu in all lighting conditions and yet allow for precise aiming at longer range. Most red dots are 2-5 MOA and rather course at longer ranges for small targets, or are so fine they are difficult to pu quickly in daylight. The Holographic sights are large enough for quick acquisition, yet the center is fine enough for precision work.

EoTechs are made to tough all weather spec's to function no matter what. Best quality and rugged. Kind of like asking why Zeiss Binoculars cost more than Bushnell. Quality.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Biggest advantage is a sight aperture that is quick to pu in all lighting conditions and yet allow for precise aiming at longer range. Most red dots are 2-5 MOA and rather course at longer ranges for small targets, or are so fine they are difficult to pu quickly in daylight. The Holographic sights are large enough for quick acquisition, yet the center is fine enough for precision work.

EoTechs are made to tough all weather spec's to function no matter what. Best quality and rugged. Kind of like asking why Zeiss Binoculars cost more than Bushnell. Quality.
    Don't put your EO Tech on a 12ga 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey gun. Mine didn't last a dozen shots. EO Tech offered to sell me a new one for 10% off retail.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    In short:
    A red dot sight has the whole enchilada enclosed by a piece of glass at the front and rear, ie. dust and fog tight/proof. A 0 power scope with all the benefits.
    A holosight will be susceptible to both. Dust and crud will find it's way into the finers.

There is a reason Aimpoint and not Eotech is the preferred NATO sight amongst special forces. Oh that, and the excellent service Aimpoint has comapred to Eotech!

Jægerkorpset = Danish special forces and Frømandskorpset = Danish Special marines both prefer Aimpoint to anything else (just fyi)

Boolit Master
    Holograph has no advantage. I've had both and prefer red dot. When holograph sights first came out a lot of pros tried them and most went back to red dots. I can shoot very small groups at longer distances with any of my red dots with a 3 or even 4 moa dot. No bones to pick with holograph, just didn't give me any advantage shooting competition or hunting. Just a different kind of sight.

Banned

im a red dot fan too. Ive had burris, bushenell and eotechs and find them much more critical to be centered in your vision to find the dot. You really notice it on a handgun. Holographics even the top tier ones like eotechs will not take the beating a mid priced red dot like a vortex or sig sauer will and sure wont hold up like a aimpoint. Add to that there battery eaters. If I want a dot sight that can be used at longer distances i go to a prism sight. At least they still work when the batterys go dead and with a bit of practice may not be as quick as the other two but are darned close. Money no object? ACOG all the way.

I switched from the seeall to holo on my BO pistol. Pack a spare batt. Faster aq for pigs but no mag for longer distance. Easy both eyes open sighting, no squinting through a tube. 75-100 yds, bring the carbine with scope. Gave my RD & seeall to the G.K.s.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

i actually like the holosights, but unfortunately i have an astigmatism, and it makes the reticle of a holo look like holy crapola.try a few out, and see what works best for you.

Boolit Master
    Hologram fan here.

Better field of view. It takes a bit of practice to find the dot quickly with a hand gun but once you get the hang of it there is no problem.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Eotech = nice sight picture, but less durable than Aimpoint with NOTHING EVEN CLOSE to the same battery life.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Truglow 2x Red Dot sight. Gives you some magnification, ie pulls those 100 yard targets up to 50 yards.

In head to head compitition with scope 1.5 x5 power the scope really had no advantage until it got past 75 yards.

These are mounted on virtually identical H&R .44mag single shots.

Both would stack them up, one ragged hole style. But at 100 with the scope cranked to 5 the hole was significantly smaller.

But in the field on moving targets the Red Dot sight would dominate up past that 75 yard mark.

That is my experience, take it for what it is. Both guns used the same ammo, same shooter. Alternated as one warmed up it would be set aside to cool and the other would be shot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price is down from 65$ I paid for my first ones to 43$.

They are a little bigger than the small pistol sights but on rifle or shotgun they work great.
    They are short enough that you can have perfect check weld and view and not interfere with hammer.

I'm up to 5 of these, have yet to have one go bad or lose zero. Had a base come lose but that blame is on my for not locktighting it.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Truglow 2x Red Dot sight. Gives you some magnification, ie pulls those 100 yard targets up to 50 yards.

In head to head compitition with scope 1.5 x5 power the scope really had no advantage until it got past 75 yards.

These are mounted on virtually identical H&R .44mag single shots.

Both would stack them up, one ragged hole style. But at 100 with the scope cranked to 5 the hole was significantly smaller.

But in the field on moving targets the Red Dot sight would dominate up past that 75 yard mark.

That is my experience, take it for what it is. Both guns used the same ammo, same shooter. Alternated as one warmed up it would be set aside to cool and the other would be shot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price is down from 65$ I paid for my first ones to 43$.

They are a little bigger than the small pistol sights but on rifle or shotgun they work great.
    They are short enough that you can have perfect check weld and view and not interfere with hammer.

I'm up to 5 of these, have yet to have one go bad or lose zero. Had a base come lose but that blame is on my for not locktighting it.
    Do these have a certain eye relief since their magnified ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I prefer a Red Dot Style Optic. I have a Burris Fast Fire 3 that was mounted on my G35. I had problems finding the dot during presentation so I went back to Irons on that gun. Going to mount that sight on my A5's Rifled barrel for Pig Shooting.

All my Carbines have Red Dots and they are all Bushnell TRS 25's which are one of the least expensive decent products out there. $60-$90 depending on time of year and none of the 6 that I have have ever even killed the battery or lost a zero.

However they are NOT Aimpoints, but Aimpoints are $600!

Low end gun,,, Bushnell TRS 25,,, High end gun,,, Aimpoint.

Going to War?,,, Aimpoint! Plinking with your 10-22,,, TRS 25

Kind of depends on what you are going to do with the gun.

Plenty of choices out there.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com