Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Henry Big Boy in .41 Magnum

Henry Big Boy in .41 Magnum

With the price of Marlins in .41 gone clear through the roof, I've been considering a Henry Big Boy in .41 Magnum.

Does anyone here have any experience with that specific caliber in the Steel Big Boy? I'm a long time cast bullet shooter in my .41's...a Smith M57, a Ruger 3-screw and a Ruger Flat Top... Both of my molds are for plain base bullets of the Keith LSWC variety (Lyman's 410459 & an Accurate Mold that's very similar), so I'm interested in feeding issues and general accuracy with PB cast bullets.

I do use jacketed bullets from time to time, as well, primarily Hornady's 210 XTP, so I'm interested in experience with that type as well.

Lastly, how's the overall quality of Henry's steel lever guns...fit and finish, sights, rifling etc?

Thx in advance to all who reply. Rod

Boolit Grand Master

I sold mine here because I found a marlin. The Henry was a good rifle and accurate enough for me to harvest a doe at 75 yards with a load of 4227. Accuracy was average and the metal finish on mine, while even, left a little to be desired. The lever was smooth and it fed most reasonable weighted bullets just fine (170-245). If it flips your switch, get it, you’ll enjoy it. If planning on a scope, go ahead and get their scope mount while your shopping. Mine had a Bushnell 3500 3x9 on it and seemed to be a good match.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Yes. Have owned our's since the 1st year they came out. We waited until the price stabilized around that $600 amount.
    With a 255-280 GC it is a fine shooting rifle. Plenty accurate at any sane velocity. Not as fussy as our Marlin was about slug shape. So far the Henry has digested all the nose shapes we have tried. Have not tried a wadcutter yet.

Functions like a lever rifle should. Rack the lever and "chunk - chunk" ready to fire.
    Our's looked nice out of the box. Far nicer than any new Remlin I looked at. Comparitable to our Marlin CCL 41 we have had since they came out. Looking to buy a 16" barreled Henry when we head north again.
    Cannot say about jacketed as we do not buy those generally for our lever flippers. If a lead slug at 1800 fps will not get the job done we move up to a larger caliber. If a 50 Alaskan with a 525 grainer needs help I guess ol Rexy is gonna get a meal.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike,

I wish I could say mine looked as good as my CCL. My CCL came with nice walnut and shiny even bluing on the octagonal barrel and receiver flats. My Henry was a great shooter and field gun, but my sample was not even close to the fit and finish of my CCL. Mine was a first run production as soon as they came out.

Banned

Henry Big Boy in .41 Magnum

Have one, love it, still developing a load it shoots accurately.
    Agree with Osteodoc about the scope mount from Henry, got one myself to mount a Leupold Ultralight FX-II fixed-power 2.5 scope. Double-check the part number of the mount before buying as there are a couple different ones for the different model/caliber rifles.
    After trying 3 different powders with a 210-grain powder coated cast SWC, I’m still struggling to find accuracy...will continue to chase after it when I return home from working out-of-town.

Boolit Buddy
    As stated above, got mine a few months ago and have only fired for function, I replaced the rear sight with a Marbles bullseye ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532 ) and will need to take it out and see what it can do out to 100yrds, I just have always had problems with buckhorn sights.
    My guns are shooters so I don't pay much attention to detail unless the problem is glaringly obvious, this one seems nice enough and works as it should, never thought I'd ever be able to afford one until I found these Henry's.
    Last edited by tunnug; 08-20-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added link
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Good feed back, guys...thanx. I'm really interested in it as a cast bullet shooter...generally I like ACWW + 2% tin for fill out and will accept whatever velocity that gives me accuracy.

Most of my levers, both Winchester and Marlin are fitted with tang or receiver peep sights and that would be my intent with the Henry. My eyes are still ok out to 100 yds, at least with the Marlin 1894 CS that'll shoot into 2" on a good day. So I'd like to stay with that sighting arrangement for a bit longer before going over to a scope.

As to bullets, what are you all using and what sizing. My Marlins are nearly all over size; the .44's going as large as 0.433+". How's the .41 in that regard. Both of my molds will drop at 0.411+" but no larger. Thanks for the responses. Rod

I have had one (AKA Baby) for a couple of years. She shoots just fine for me, I have only shot cast thru it but it seems to like what I have from the Ideal 410459 to the MP 413-265 Trueshot clone. It feeds mag cases or 41 Specials equally well. Same with the 200gr to 270 gr boolits. Just have to keep gun upright, not on its side when working the action. It's a nice match for my RB with a 4.5/8" barrel.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Mine had some issues out of the BOX.
    here is the story:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Big-Boy-fussy
    Henry did take care of me, when I finally got around to calling them, they immediately said, send it in.

I am very happy with it, as it now functions very well. I've tried several boolit shapes and styles, and all will feed and shoot, even SWC. But as osteodoc08 says, the metalwork leaves a lot to be desired. While it is uniform, it ain't finished smooth like a Marlin. The Henry has machining lines on the barrel and mag tube. The receiver is flat blue finished and not glossy. The wood stock is very dark and doesn't show much grain figure...I really think the wood on a $700 gun should be nicer, but maybe that's just me? The wood to metal, fit and finish is just fine on my gun. I haven't really given it much for accuracy testing, most of my shooting have been 50 yds or less, off hand. I assume the barrel has a .410 groove diameter, though I haven't checked it, I size all my boolits to .411 and have no problems.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-21-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I had good luck with mine sized .411" which was more like .4115" on my micrometer. I tried them lubed with Randy Rat's Tac X, Tac 1, Carnauba Red and LBT Blue. They all did well. Mine surprisingly liked the 170gr 640 HP from MiHa and was a slick feeding bullet. My go to was the 235gr WFN as it was more of the weight I preferred and fed slick as goose poop and was reasonably accurate to boot. 1.5-2" at 50 yards and 3" at 100 yards. I want to say it was 17 or 18gr 4227, but don't hold me to that. It wasn't super speedy but delivered the accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Henry Blueing. I failed to make a distinction on that point.
    Henry steel finish is not as finely finished as older Marlins. Henry uses a more "black finish" and with the steel not being a high polish it all together seems to reduce light reflections some. But whether that is corn cruncher proof would be hard to say.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Agree with Mike in Peru on the blueing, was less than impressed with the barrel blueing. I see CeraCoat or NiB-X in its future.

Again, Thx guys...especially the data on cast boolit sizing. Fit and finish issues are a concern and with an unusual caliber like .41 Magnum, there are far less to choose from on local shelves. I've used several gunshops here in the Louisville area; especially like Wolf Supply (a cop shop just off the Waterson Expway) but it would be a special order item with Bill. Cabelas in Louisville & Keisler's across the river in IN, may have some that might work out...thx for the reponses, Rod

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve sent Anthony Imperato several emails requesting they make the 41 in their all weather series. As soon as they do, I’d definitely buy another Henry.

Boolit Master
    I bought the .41 Henry from you Osteodoc for a buddy of mine and it runs flawlessly. Groups were around 11/2 to 2"at 50yds. I changed the sights out, due to the huge bead covering up too much of the target, we put in a bead about 1/3 the size of the original bead, and took the insert out of the rear sight and made one with a notch to fit the new front sight. The difference in grouping was nothing short of amazing, 5 shot groups at 50 yds were hovering around a inch or slightly over. 100 yd groups were averaging about 3.5", sandbagged! Plenty good enough for hunting around here in KY, where hunting in the woods seldom offers over 75 yd shots. This is the 5th Henry lever action that I have changed the sights out on and they cut their groups in half. Just a FYI I thought I would share!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the follow up. I’m glad it worked out for you! What’s your friend shooting innit? Jacketed? Cast?

Boolit Master
    Some jacketed loads he had loaded for his Ruger Blackhawk. He is just now getting into casting, only took me 25 years to get him into it! He recently retired and has more time to devote to shooting, casting and reloading. He is trying to make up for lost time.