RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Replacing Rem 700 Extractor

Boolit Master

Replacing Rem 700 Extractor

My ~'77 BDL in 25-06 has a worn extractor. The claw has worn a little thin and the last case remained in the chamber. It has been a here and there issue for the recent while.

Brownells sells replacement extractor kits with the two pins. My bolt is of that style. Has anyone done this repair previously that could give some input?

Best way to remove the pins?

The existing pins are absolutely flush with the bolt. As if they were set then machined flush. This rifle shows a lot of quality that is absent current production 700s. Will some filing/honing be required on the new pins so that the heads are radiused and flush with the bolt?

Is this best left to a gunsmith?

Much appreciated gentlemen.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Thank you! This is great. I need to study more, but first glance makes me lean toward letting a gunsmith do the work.

I have done this operation several times. It is best done with a specialized tool that has a round portion that fits inside the bolt face to peen the new pins against. I got mine from Brownell's back in the '90s. I think somewhere along the line Remington redesigned the extractor. Still the same basic idea, but a different part so you need to determine if you have the new or old design to order the correct replacement part.

DG

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    The last few Rem 700 actions I worked on, I replaced the whole bolt with a PTG that uses an M16 extractor.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the replies, everyone. Especially to M-Tecs for that link! With the tooling and etc needed to help make it easier, I'm going to let the gunsmith do it. I can see a whole lot of opportunities for me to goober up this job.