Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me Marlin 1895CB .45-70, Boolit mould recommendations

Boolit Master

If you're shooting from the bench, you will really appreciate a folded towel or strap-on recoil pad. Try it before you FEEL the need.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    You will love that rifle!! I use 40 grs of Accurate 2015 and a 405 gr mold from Accurate Molds for 1500+ fps for a hunting load and it recoils at about the top level I want but shoots great. A Skinner rear Express and front sight helped A LOT. Good luck.Attachment 247036Attachment 247037
    I love the look of those sights. I checked out their web page yesterday and really liked them.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    If you're shooting from the bench, you will really appreciate a folded towel or strap-on recoil pad. Try it before you FEEL the need.
    Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely need something since I will be having a total reverse shoulder replacement in the next few weeks.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog25 View Post
    I certainly appreciate all the replies and information. I want to use all this info to develop a couple of good plinking/practice loads and a couple of reliable but not overpowering hunting loads.
    I was wondering what you intend to use it for. If whitetails are the biggest game you intend to hunt, I would stick to the lighter bullets. From 325 to 350 grains. There are several advantages.. ...

The RCBS 325 gr I use is more then adequate for whitetails, they are easy on the shoulder, are very accurate, and you wont burn through your lead stockpile as fast.

I love the look of those sights. I checked out their web page yesterday and really liked them.
    You will like the accuracy you get from them for sure. I couldnt tell which of my loads were better than the others with the old Marlin open sights. When I got the Skinner sights zeroed, I changed my targets to a big black circle against a white background (full piece of computer paper) an the shooting got a lot better. A small target that the front sight completely blocks out will not tell yo nearly as much as one that you can orient the sights to.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely need something since I will be having a total reverse shoulder replacement in the next few weeks.
    I have 2 total reverse shoulders and that is when I let some of the air out of my Marlin CB 45/70. It still bites @ 1500 fps so I use a piece of memory foam. I am going to let a bit more air out of it and get in the 1300fps range. It will still penetrate into the next zip code without beating my shoulder up. My 358 Norma has been relegated to a cast boolit gun since the shoulder reverse as well. Those 250gr Noslers @ 2800fps just plain hurt. Good luck with the surgery. Do the therapy and you will be glad you had it done.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I have 2 total reverse shoulders and that is when I let some of the air out of my Marlin CB 45/70. It still bites @ 1500 fps so I use a piece of memory foam. I am going to let a bit more air out of it and get in the 1300fps range. It will still penetrate into the next zip code without beating my shoulder up. My 358 Norma has been relegated to a cast boolit gun since the shoulder reverse as well. Those 250gr Noslers @ 2800fps just plain hurt. Good luck with the surgery. Do the therapy and you will be glad you had it done.
    Thanks for the advice and the well wishes.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    I was wondering what you intend to use it for. If whitetails are the biggest game you intend to hunt, I would stick to the lighter bullets. From 325 to 350 grains. There are several advantages.. ...

The RCBS 325 gr I use is more then adequate for whitetails, they are easy on the shoulder, are very accurate, and you wont burn through your lead stockpile as fast.

My wife and I will be moving to NW Montana this spring so I will be hunting elk and mule deer. I also will be carrying for anti-bear use.

Boolit Buddy
    DD, I use Lyman 457191 (300gr), 457193 (420gr) and 457122 (340gr HP). Also the RCBS 45-300 fp. All feed fine in my 1895 marlin. 15.0gr unique and the 300gr Lyman is a favorite load. Easy on the shoulder, plenty of power. The 340 HP at about 1500 fs has penetrated from the point of shoulder to under the skin on the opposite ham of a good size whitetail buck. except to flatten trajectory, there is no need for "Magnum" 45/70 loads IMHO. BP equivalent velocities work fine. BTW real black powder works great if you use the proper BP lube!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    DD, I use Lyman 457191 (300gr), 457193 (420gr) and 457122 (340gr HP). Also the RCBS 45-300 fp. All feed fine in my 1895 marlin. 15.0gr unique and the 300gr Lyman is a favorite load. Easy on the shoulder, plenty of power. The 340 HP at about 1500 fs has penetrated from the point of shoulder to under the skin on the opposite ham of a good size whitetail buck. except to flatten trajectory, there is no need for "Magnum" 45/70 loads IMHO. BP equivalent velocities work fine. BTW real black powder works great if you use the proper BP lube!
    I appreciate this information. I have a feeling the 340-350gr boolit is going to be my primary choice.

Boolit Master
    My 1895 rifle shoots 400gr boolits pushed by Ramshot Exterminator or Alliant Reloader 7 very well. for a mild-recoiling load, try the same boolit and 38.5 gr IMR 3031, a "factory equivalent" load from my 1967 Lyman reloading manual.
    Both Exterminator and Rx7 are double-base Powders. Western Powder's manual recommends WLR primers. Winchester primers are designed to burn through any graphite coating and reliably ignite double-base powders. I had one hangfire with CCI primers and learned my lesson: Follow directions!

[QUOTE= I have a feeling the 340-350gr boolit is going to be my primary choice.[/QUOTE]

I would encourage that.
    I've got the 405 mold and will keep it, but if I knew then, what I do now- I would have picked a lighter boolit.

If you ever go hunting for a Woolley Mammoth, or a Cape Buffalo, grab a box of 500s.
    For everything else, the 350s should do fine, and not be quite as punishing to shoot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

To all who have replied to my post, I truly appreciate all the valuable information you have shared. I would like to ask your opinion about this; given the choice to purchase the Lee 340gr mold or go with the NOE Ranch Dog 350gr PB which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance.

Scott

Banned
    Scott,

I will send you some Lee 340 gr bullets that I have left over. You can try them first if you like.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Scott,

I will send you some Lee 340 gr bullets that I have left over. You can try them first if you like.

Steve in N CA
    Thanks Steve, PM incoming

Boolit Grand Master

My old 1970's vintage 1895 liked the Lyman 457124 385 gr. boolit. I had other moulds but cast and shot that one the most. Never a problem and good accuracy.

If I still had a .45-70 I think I'd get a collar button mould, a Gould 330 gr. or similar and a 400 gr. +/- a bit mould (maybe that 457124 again!). That would do me for about anything I think. I have a chance of buying back my old Marlin I sold to a friend when I went to college and needed money in the late '70's. I am seriously thinking about it! I loved that gun but never replaced it.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 08-26-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    My old 1970's vintage 1895 liked the Lyman 457124 385 gr. boolit. I had other moulds but cast and shot that one the most. Never a problem and good accuracy.

If I still had a .45-70 I think I'd get a collar button mould, a Gould 330 gr. or similar and a 400 gr. +/- a bit mould 9maybe that 457124 again!). That would do me for about anything I think. I have a chance of buying back my old Marlin I sold to a friend when I went to college and needed money in the late '70's. I am seriously thinking about it! I loved that gun but never replaced it.

Longbow
    Trust me, if you have the opportunity to purchase the gun back, do it! I regret selling the Remington 1100 I received from my step-father for Christmas when I was 15 years old. I would give anything to have that gun back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post

I got that mold a year ago,good success right away - and it's the lightest 45-70 bullet in my 20 year Marlin career. I really enjoy it @ 1900 fps (Marlin SBL has a good pad and kinda straight stock compared to my previous 1895).

We have had moving moose target practise sessions lately,I much prefer this rifle/load to anything else I have. And I have a few.

I used to shoot macho loads (eg. 465 grains @ 2000 fps) for years. My moose load still is 350 Hornady FN @ 2150 fps but that little 325 RCBS (I coat them Hi Tek) really got me back into shooting Marlin. Trying to save my shoulders,too. No more bows... bad practise,pain... crazy Marlin years did their share as well as 338 Lapua Mag,bench...

Boolit Buddy
    DD25, I suggest a slip on pad, I keep a medium Limbsaver in the range pack. It lets me go home with out bruises. I also like the RCBS 300g GC mould. With irons at a hundred it will ruin a clay pigeon. You could try some Leverevolution powder, it seems to give better velocity without lots of kick. I confess though my Marlin left after I got 2 scars in my eyebrow & 3 broken pairs of glasses. I like the Siamese Mauser better after all, It pushes not recoil. Granted it will "move" you about 8-12" depending on the load.

Boolit Master

If you can find one, Mihec did a group buy a while back, 462 Hammer with the large HP it runs about 300 grains. I shoot it in a Marlin CB, Highwall and a Ruger #3. 25 grains of 2400, very easy on the recoil and very hard on whitetails.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast