Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me Marlin 1895CB .45-70, Boolit mould recommendations

Boolit Buddy

New to me Marlin 1895CB .45-70, Boolit mould recommendations

I will be picking up my Marlin 1895 CB in .45-70 with 26” barrel. I am thinking about a couple of boolits, one around 350gr and another around 400gr. What do you shoot and what do you suggest. I would be willing to purchase a few of each to see how they perform. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Scott
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lyman #457193, had Good Luck with both IMR4198 and 5744.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I shoot the Lyman #457193, had Good Luck with both IMR4198 and 5744.
    Thanks for the information, that is one of the moulds I am considering. The other being the Accurate 46-405k.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lee 405 RNFP with good results.
    Lubed or paper patched.
    I prefer 32 grains of H4198 or 12 grains on unique for plinking.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE has several molds. An excellent one for plinking is the 186gr collar button. I can easily go through 50-100 of those in an afternoon busting clays or cans. Sooooooo much fun.

Boolit Master

In your Marlin you will probably need a bullet that drops at least .460". I have a recent production Lee 340pb which does. I haven't shot any but in my Marlin 1895 the nose engraves very slightly on chambering and it appears to be a very good fit. A friend has the Accurate 460405C mold and it works very well in his Marlin. Both of our rifles are the later "Ballard" rifling which I think yours is also.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    In your Marlin you will probably need a bullet that drops at least .460". I have a recent production Lee 340pb which does. I haven't shot any but in my Marlin 1895 the nose engraves very slightly on chambering and it appears to be a very good fit. A friend has the Accurate 460405C mold and it works very well in his Marlin. Both of our rifles are the later "Ballard" rifling which I think yours is also.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    Thanks for the information Rick. My rifle is a 2018 model, so the Ballard rifling is probably correct.

Boolit Buddy

I've had one for quite awhile, and havent found a cast projo yet that didnt shoot great. I settled on the Lee 405 gr HBRN at 20-1 at just above Trapdoor levels. I've gone hotter, but the recoil is a bit more than I want to deal with . I'll use the heavys in the Sharps.

Boolit Buddy

Ok, i'm jealous! Give us a report on the overall quality when you receive it.

my 1895 with microgrooves shoots the RCBS 405 gr ( drops at 415+ gr) pretty well.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff View Post
    I've had one for quite awhile, and havent found a cast projo yet that didnt shoot great. I settled on the Lee 405 gr HBRN at 20-1 at just above Trapdoor levels. I've gone hotter, but the recoil is a bit more than I want to deal with . I'll use the heavys in the Sharps.
    My first inclination was the Lyman 457193 but I have been reading several posts where this boolit has a feed issue in the 1895.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    Ok, i'm jealous! Give us a report on the overall quality when you receive it.

my 1895 with microgrooves shoots the RCBS 405 gr ( drops at 415+ gr) pretty well.

I’ll be sure and let you know how I make out.

Scott.....I do a 350gr NOE SWC in mine and it feeds well. I have a 480gr NOE for my rolling block that does not like to feed in my 1895. Can I send you some to try? You have my contact info I think. Paul
    NRA Benefactor Member

a lyman 47122(330gr gould hp) or a 425gr ranch dog(noe is SC460-429-RF-BA2 RG4 cavity GC Brass (RD))

I have the RCBS 405. I like it with 4198 or 70gr. of FF.

But up over about 1500 fps it makes you wonder which end is more dangerous than the other.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I use two Lee molds. 405gr and 330 gr. Wasn't sure how it would shoot so wanted to try cheap molds first. Very happy with them. Minimum loads of Trail Boss make a great light load. Max load of TB or a reasonable load of 5744 will probably let you shoot buffalo or something smaller. The light Trail Boss loads are just fun to shoot and have very little recoil. Enjoy it!

Boolit Master

I've had My 1895CB for 20+yrs and My 1895S Pre-Safety for about 40yrs. I bought the Lyman #457193 just for The 1895S.
    It shoots just as well in the 1895CB.

And it Feeds without any problems AT all in either Rifle.

Never had a problem with the 457191HP either. The RCBS 45-405-FN works ok too.

My Sharps prefers the RCBS to the Lyman#457193.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    Scott.....I do a 350gr NOE SWC in mine and it feeds well. I have a 480gr NOE for my rolling block that does not like to feed in my 1895. Can I send you some to try? You have my contact info I think. Paul
    Hi Paul, I would love to try a few. I’ll send you a PM with more information. Thanks very much.

Boolit Buddy

I certainly appreciate all the replies and information. I want to use all this info to develop a couple of good plinking/practice loads and a couple of reliable but not overpowering hunting loads.

You will love that rifle!! I use 40 grs of Accurate 2015 and a 405 gr mold from Accurate Molds for 1500+ fps for a hunting load and it recoils at about the top level I want but shoots great. A Skinner rear Express and front sight helped A LOT. Good luck.Attachment 247036Attachment 247037
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have 3 molds...Lee 340gr, and 405gr both FN....and the Lyman 457122 330gr Gould HP. The two lighter boolits are at 1350fps, the 405s are at 1200fps and they are still comfortable on the shoulder. I use IMR3031 and H4198 powders.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast