Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Cookies and Biscuits!

Smile Cookies and Biscuits!

My step-daughter and our 2 grand-daughters (9 and 11) are out from Winnipeg for a visit with us until the end of the month, so since they were out and about with the girls today I did some baking. Made a 4 dozen batch of the "Famous Amos" cookies (and froze about 3 dozen of them) and I also made a big batch of my "Reverend Al's Buttermilk Biscuits". You need some victuals on hand to feed the troops when they are hungry ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Looks good.

A chocolate chip cookie recipe I keep coming back to is a variation of the one on the back of the Toll House chip bag.

Substitute dark chocolate chips for Toll House, and double them.
    Leave out the chopped nuts to make room for the extra choc. chips.
    And add 3 rounded tablespoons of cocoa powder.

We call them 'chocolate chocolate chip'.

A biscuit recipe I really like is on the Duck Dynasty web site.
    Mama Kay's biscuits. I don't use quite as much 7-up as it calls for.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread.

My daughter and her husband were here for the weekend and they are both doing the keto diet. They made some keto version of the cheddar biscuits you get at Red Lobster. They looked like a cookie and tasted like card board with cheese sprinkled on them. My wife and I both ate them with a smile.

I'll take your version biscuits and cookies any day over what I had this weekend. Where can I find a recipe for Reverend Al's biscuits?

Boolit Master
    All you need is some good sausage gravy to go with those biscuits...........

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Where can I find a recipe for Reverend Al's biscuits?
    "Reverend Al" is my Cowboy Action Shooting alias and over the years I've developed / modified several different recipes that I've labeled as "Reverend Al" recipes. Here is my Buttermilk Biscuit recipe:

The Reverend Al’s Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups of all purpose flour
    3 teaspoons of baking powder
    1 teaspoon of salt
    ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
    1 tablespoon of Garlic powder (optional)

¾ cup of any suitable type of shortening (such as butter, Crisco, bacon grease, lard, margarine, etc.)

1 cup of grated cheese (Cheddar or your choice of mixed cheeses) this is also optional and you can make them without cheese if you like.

1 cup of buttermilk plus one egg stirred together well

Pre-heat oven to about 375 - 425 degrees. (Ovens vary, but I bake mine at 375.)

Sift the flour to make sure that there are no lumps. Add the baking powder, salt, baking soda, and Garlic powder if you’re using it. Mix the dry ingredients well. (I use a whisk or the pastry blender to stir the dry ingredients together in the bowl until they’re all well blended.) Add the shortening and work it into the dry ingredients with two knives or a pastry blender until the entire mix resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the grated cheese if you're using it and mix well again.

Next, add the buttermilk / egg mixture, working it into the flour mix with a large, solid spoon or a table knife. After everything is thoroughly mixed, roll it out onto a floured board or counter top. Knead the dough as little as possible, adding more flour if it’s too wet, or a bit more buttermilk if it’s too dry, until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, and has a “satin” look and feel to it.

After it has the right consistency, sprinkle some bench flour onto your counter-top or baking board and pat out the dough to about ¾” thick. Cut out the biscuits with a 3” biscuit cutter, or if in hunting camp I use the end of a soup can with the top and the bottom cut out. If you lightly flour the end of the biscuit cutter or soup can as you cut them, the biscuits won’t stick to your cutter plus they will rise in layers as they bake, yielding a nice, light and fluffy style of biscuit.

I use a flat cookie sheet for baking biscuits and use baking parchment paper or silicon baking sheets on the bottom of the cookie sheets to prevent the biscuits from burning on their bottoms.

In our oven about 10 to 12 minutes is just about right for light, medium browned biscuits. If they are too dry in the middle, bake for a slightly shorter time, as they should be slightly moist in the centre when finished. I often give them another minute to minute and a half under the broiler to brown the tops.

And here is the "Famous Amos" cookie recipe I used:

THE FAMOUS AMOS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

3/4 lb. butter
    3/4 c. Crisco oil
    1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
    2 c. granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 t. baking soda
    3/4 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. salt
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    4 c. flour
    7 oz. flaked coconut
    12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    6 oz. broken pecans

As they are listed above, mix all ingredients together well. Shape into 2 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 375° for 15 minutes or until firm and set. Leave to set for about 3 to 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies

Enjoy!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

These are two of my other favorite biscuit recipes that I use quite often.

THE CAMP COOK'S BEST BISCUITS

Ingredients

- 4 cups of flour
    - 4 eggs
    - 1/2 cup butter or Crisco
    - 2/3 cup whole sweet milk
    - 1 tsp salt
    - 2 tsp sugar
    - 6 tsp baking powder

Preparation & Cooking

Add the dry ingredients to the flour, mix well. Cut in the shortening with two knives or a pastry blender. Add the milk and beaten eggs. Mix only until blended. (Do not overwork the dough and you will get light and flakey biscuits!) Press the dough (do not roll) into a cake about 3/4 inch thick. Dust with additional flour as needed. Cut rounds with a biscuit cutter, or if you are in camp then use a clean, empty, floured 14 oz. tin can / soup tin. Place the rounds closely in a frying pan or baking sheet and bake at about 450 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden. The amounts given here will make about one dozen "man sized" biscuits. These beautiful biscuits are good with butter, better with honey, but BEST when drowned in thick, rich sausage gravy.

The Very Best Cowboy Camp Baking Powder Biscuits

4 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, plus some extra for bench flour
    2 1/2 tablespoons of Baking Powder
    4 tablespoons of sugar
    1 teaspoons of salt
    1 cup of shortening (or butter or bacon fat)
    1 1/2 cups of whole milk
    1 large egg

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt until evenly combined. Blend the shortening or butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the mix resembles coarse meal.

Mix the milk and egg together in a measuring cup and whisk them together until thoroughly mixed. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and blend together until it forms into a wet dough. Dust your work surface with some bench flour, and work the dough lightly adding bench flour until it's not too wet, and then fold it over and over several times to create flakier biscuits. Roll out or pat out the dough until it's about 3/4" thick, and then using a large sized biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them on a greased baking sheet. (In camp I use a soup can with both ends cut out as a biscuit cutter, and dip the end in flour so the biscuits don't stick) This recipe will make about 12 to 16 cowboy sized biscuits.

Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown on top. Serve hot with butter.

Optional glaze:

1 tablespoon of heavy cream
    1 tablespoon of melted butter

Lightly brush the biscuit tops with the glaze just before baking.

As another option, I usually just spray the biscuit tops with a bit of olive oil from our pump sprayer just before baking, rather than using the glaze listed above.

I've also added some grated Cheddar to the dry mix just before adding the wet ingredients, and made them into Cowboy Camp Cheese biscuits too, and they're great that way!

PS: If you don't have any Buttermilk on hand and a recipe calls for Buttermilk, just add some white vinegar to your regular milk and it will yield a suitable Buttermilk substitute ...

Boolit Master
    Thanks!!
    Biscuits, butter and honey. Mom used to make the biscuits and butter, the local bee keeper provided the honey. Mom was an excellent cook but for the life of me I can't remember anything else that made it to the table when biscuits were involved.

Boolit Master
    Only a yankee needs a recipe to make biscuits!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Or a Canuck with a poor memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Or gravy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.