Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Experience Loading NOE 460 396 FN in 45-70?

Boolit Master

Experience Loading NOE 460 396 FN in 45-70?

I trying to make up different loads for an upcoming cow elk hunt and tried loading the NOE 460 396gr Flat Nose yesterday... Since I will be using them for hunting purposes, I first tried seating them to the crimp groove and had to significantly compress the powder(Swiss 1 1/2) to get 65 grains in for a starting load... I hoped to get more to get it a little more flat shooting than my 513RN's using 66.5gr of goex @ 1139fps.... I'm guessing that I should forget the crimping groove and seat it to cover the first or second lube groove as long as they will chamber easily... Does this sound correct? Anyone have any experience loading this way for hunting loads? Thanks in advance for your help.

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    You did not mention the gun ,but my single shots will be no problem seating into/up to rifling . Anything else you got to see what feeds and that is a trial and error(each gun is unique) ./Ed

Boolit Master
    OOPS! You are exactly right Edward... I have a H&R Buffalo Classic and a 1874 Shiloh Sharps.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.