Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Use BP in a modern bolt action or falling block rifle

Boolit Master

Use BP in a modern bolt action or falling block rifle

I have a Win M70 in 375 H&H, any problems using BP, proper BP lube on cast bullets.
    I would think performance would be similar to a 38-55, maybe a bit more if more powder can be added to the belted mag case.

Same question for owners of a 458 Win mag to substitute for a 45-70.

Boolit Master
    Yes you can no problem.

Boolit Master
    I wanted to do this with my 458 win mag . It got stolen at the gun Smith right before it was done ,built. I also put a lot of work into that rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

It should be okay and work well. cleaning the bolt action wi;; be a little more involved as there are more parts to collect fouling; A modern falling block wouldn't be as bad. I have reproductions of Hepburns stevens sharps and high wall and all they have seen is black powder.
    One thing I would recommend is to anneal necks and shoulders of the cases to get the best seal possible between case and chamber. May stop a lot of blow back fouling. But what the case drops into action ejecting and extracting will still occur.
    Using a bullet that carries plenty of lube for the powder charge/ barrel length will be a big plus also. In the 375 a bullet like lymans 335 grn seated just of the rifling with a powder charge that fills the case with .050-.100 compression might be a good starting point. If you can keep the base in the neck a card wad under the bullet might be good also

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    The 375 H&H is also known as the 38-95 when loaded with black powder. 3F Goex works fine. We use a cereal box wad on top of the powder. If using slugs with only 2 lube grooves dip the noses or smear some BP lube on the nose before loading. Another reason we use 3F as Goex is all we shoot.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    458 Win mag to substitute for a 45-70.
    Actually the 458 Win mag is almost a dead ringer for the 45-90 except for the belt. There's a tad bit difference in case length but the case capacity is nearly the same, it should make an excellent round.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

The 1888 model 7.92x57 is on my list... some day.

I have shot BP in both of those.

The 375 H&H is a hoot with BP. It is easy to shoot and fouling is the only big problem. Loading duplex loads cures this. I loaded like 5 or 6 grains IMR 4227 under the load of BP. Very clean shooting and just a hoot.

The 458 win mag is just the ticket. The 45-90 is just 2.400 and the 458 is 2.500. Just 1/10th inch difference with the 458 being just 1/10th longer. With BP ... this is hardly any difference at all. Follow 45-90 load recipe's and you will do just fine. The duplex load as in the 375 mag will do very well in the 458 case. This is a natural for shooting BP with the only bug-a-boo being the very fast 14 inch twist ... meaning the longer heavier boolit the better.

Load em out to kiss the rifling on both these chambers. As long as the boolit begins turning as soon as the first bit of pressure begins to move the boolit ... the less likely it will strip the rifling.

Have fun and let the experimenting begin. Have no fear ... just be careful to not allow an air gap between powder and boolit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    The 45-90 is just 2.400 and the 458 is 2.500. Just 1/10th inch difference with the 458 being just 1/10th longer. With BP ... this is hardly any difference at all.
    Actually even closer than that, with the heavier brass thickness near the head of the case there is very little difference in actual capacity.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    The 1888 model 7.92x57 is on my list... some day.
    Actually I remember reading that the Mauser Brothers did the research and concluded that the 9x57 case was the most effecient BP case, just before the advent of smokeless. I have a 9.3x57 - and a boolit mold, and a chronograph. Oh well, another project waiting for cataract surgery and retirement!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have a low number 03 that has fired many bp loads.

I shoot my 375 with black powder sometimes. I call it a 38-82 just to confuse people. It's considerably more powerful than a 38-55 since it holds twice as much powder behind the same bullet. If you want to be able to fire more than one shot without wiping, you need to duplex load it. Otherwise with that much powder it fouls out super quick. It's plenty accurate and at 1800 fps. It's pretty powerful.

Another something that's in my plans box is loading the Lyman #403169 paper patched in the Handi .41 Mag.

Some day!

Boolit Grand Master

While I don't "use" BP in my 45-70 bolt gun (Siamese Mauser) I do pressure/velocity test BP and BP duplex loads in it. It performs very well.

I could be wrong but years back I think (?) Paul Mathews developed BP loads for a Ruger #1 375 H&H and used it on deer. I know he did with the 45/70 and 458 Win Mag I recall him also loading the 375 H&H because I've thought about trying it with my M70 375 H&H. As Nobade points out most 375 H&Hs will foul very quickly with a straight BP load. That's because of the 12" twist most have. A custom 375 H&H with an 18" twist (same twist as the original 38-55 had) will be much better but still a duplex load should be considered.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla