MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: "new" contender barrel lock up

Angry "new" contender barrel lock up

Been shooting an "old" version contender in 44 Magnum - fantastic with red dot sight! Opportunity knocked to purchase .357 mag barrel as well as .22 lr barrel for $125 each - previous owner has old style contender also with cougar engraving. went to the range shot several .44's no issues. Changed out the .22 LR barrel - click no bang.. oh yeah turn the little button in the hammer for rim fire...click no bang again & nearly impossible to open. head scratching, muttering & lots of looking realized the hammer block wasn't moving out of the way. pulled the pivot pin - only way to open up this time & tried the .357 barrel - same crap click no bang - hammer block stopping primer strikes!!! Home total disassembly , clean & lube , search for the little spring that went flying ,etc. THEN checked the new barrels for function without the trigger assy. barrel doesn't trip the little rocker that allows the hammer block to move! Close inspection reveals "new" barrels have a square end on the barrel lock whereas the .44 barrel has a tapered or beveled end. What have I got myself into??? Any options as I understand T/C has been bought out by S&W and customer service on T/C has been so-so at best...

Boolit Buddy
    Call or send gun to Mike Bellum.

Moderator Emeritus

I believe that Mike is only doing rechambers now. The problem is the old style bbl lugs. TC used to give them away but I am not up on the current situation.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I've bought sets of the new style split bolts from Match Grade Machine.

Boolit Master

I was able to trade a new style one for an old style one for a carbine barrel that locked up hard on an old frame once. I was lucky to stumble upon someone with the opposite problem. The problem is solvable, it will just tale some beating of the bushes and being in the right place at the right time.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    The problem is in the locking lug, Mike sells a small diamond file that is used to gently make it fit, he told me his method is to color the top of the lug with a magic marker, close the action and some of the marker will be scraped off, those high spots where the marker remains will need filed gently, re-use the marker and close again and repeat the process until the marker is scraped off evenly across the lug.
    The instructions used to be on his home page at his website.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    The problem is in the locking lug, Mike sells a small diamond file that is used to gently make it fit, he told me his method is to color the top of the lug with a magic marker, close the action and some of the marker will be scraped off, those high spots where the marker remains will need filed gently, re-use the marker and close again and repeat the process until the marker is scraped off evenly across the lug.
    The instructions used to be on his home page at his website.
    This happened to me with a second hand .38 Octagonal 10inch barrel I bought on GBO. I had to stone and file the lugs until they would clear the "shelf" on my new G2 frame and then it would lock up.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

contender locking bolt dressing to ensure HBS drop

Re: contender locking bolt dressing to ensure Hammer Block Safety falls out of the way
    Do this with a stone, not a file
    You can't put it back.
    Take your time.
    *credit goes to Mike Bellm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dressing bolt sm.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I believe that Mike is only doing rechambers now. The problem is the old style bbl lugs. TC used to give them away but I am not up on the current situation.
    I think Mike 's son still works on them.anywho is there a gap barrel and frame when you close it? You could have a headspace issue?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gemihur View Post
    Re: contender locking bolt dressing to ensure Hammer Block Safety falls out of the way
    Do this with a stone, not a file
    You can't put it back.
    Take your time.
    *credit goes to Mike Bellm
    Just as an aside I stoned them in place and didn't remove them. I used a Sharpie as poor mans Dykem.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

trying the stoning of the lugs - so far I've been able to get the hammer block to fall but lock up is WAAAY too tight !! Able to open it with lots of pressure for a few attempts then total lockup have to pull hinge pin , wiggle & shake the barrel with a large dose of profanity thrown in to get it open. Remove more metal from the top of the lugs - it's really slow going using a honing stone.....any other methods of removing metal in a safe controlled manner???

Boolit Buddy
    The diamond file that I talked about was purchased from Mike Bellm on his website, when I talked to him that is what he recommends be used for the fitting, it's a steel handle with very fine diamond grit.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Those diamond hones can be found on Amazon, probably for a lot less money. I always use them instead of stones whenever possible.
    Cognitive Dissident

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions & tips!! Silicon carbide wet or dry paper spray glued on an oak handle did the job!!! Got to shoot both barrels over the weekend. Had one click - no bang sooo a bit more polishing with the 1200 grit should do the trick!!! Still stiff to open maybe just need to shoot more!! Not easy open conversion either......