Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HS 6 in the 44 mag

Boolit Master
    My Redhawk 7.5” runs 1176 with an SD of 15.

If one looks at what Elmer Keith was lobbying the manufacturers about was he wanted someone to make a 44 Special Magnum load in 44 special cases. The load he was requesting was a lead boolit weighing 250 grs. traveling 1200 FPS at the muzzle from a 6.5” barrel.

The HS6 load that is being posted here in this thread comes surprisingly close to Elmer’s dream load.

When Smith & Wesson released the 44 Mag on the market and through the years of the Dirty Harry era a lot of revolvers were bought with a box of shells. The owner would go out to field or range and fire a cylinder or two of the heavy factory loads and bring their prize home and put it away never to be fired again! Too much pain and likely some fear.

What was needed were some factory loads of differing power levels for shooters new to large bore magnum handguns. I would be surprised if a load for the 44 with the dwell time and other attributes such as the load being discussed here would not make the top tier of ammunition choices.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-24-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I would agree with that. The load has a very mild recoil and it also doesn’t heat up my revolver as much as some other loads. I would recommend if you want to ease someone into large bore handguns that light to middlin’ loads with this powder are the ticket. I had a couple few others touch a few off with it and couldn’t believe the lack of recoil.

Boolit Master
    Yes sir!

Back when I was cutting my teeth on this load I bought a can of 800X to compare (a half pound I believe). After getting the charges up I loaded three chambers with HS6 and three with the 800X load.

All the cartridges of the same powder/charge weight were staggered such that I fired HS6/800X/HS6 etc until I ran my 629 Mountain Gun dry. The difference in the recoil impulse was astounding.

HS6 won hands down. Besides I felt like I had been drug through a knot hole trying to throw 800X out of my Uniflow measure! Not so with HS6, it throws like hot butter on a skillet!

I can really kick myself for allowing pansitized gun writers to convince me that a 44 Mag revolver was not for the average human. What rubbish! Their false writings cost me missing out approximately the first 20 years of my adult life not having a large bore magnum revolver at my disposal.

The truth is more along the lines of the average human needs to have ammunition crafted at various power levels to utilize during a familiarization process that is required by most shooters to gain the physical and mental capability to properly handle such guns.

Some folks will need to draw the line at a point some what lower than the upper end of the power range and that is quite fine because of the 44 caliber’s excellent capabilities.

HS6 fills an important gap in the power (ladder) as I call it between the venerable Skelton load of 8.5 gr of Unique and the lighter end of 2400 loads. It allows a smoother transition towards the upper end that anything else I have found. Besides that, in it’s own right, a lot of folks can simply adopt it as their favorite field load and call it good knowing that they have ammunition fully capable of most any situation short of hammering mad bears.

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-25-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Three44s, I hear you on several things. The "average" person couldn't handle the .44 Mag because they would read and article about it or later see the movie "Dirty Harry" and think they want one never having fired a weapon or the biggest they had fired was maybe a .38 Special. Then you would see an add that said "Model 29 with 4 inch barrel for sale with box of 49 shells." I'll be 65 years old in two months and am so glad my dad taught me to handle the .44 with his Super Blackhawk starting with 5 grains of Bullseye then gradually going up from there. I was 9 years old then so have pretty much been living with and shooting the .44 all my life. I'm so grateful to him for teaching me to shoot, reload and cast, it's been a fun ride. But like all big bores they can be loaded down and still be quite effective. Like was mentioned Kieth was originally looking for a 1200 F.P.S. load and with the experience he had with where he lived he felt that was enough. But Smith and Wesson along with Remington took it and ran to above 1400 F.P.S. and started a revolution. It seems like people are finding that while that's good it may not be optimal. I have no qualms backing down to the .44 to 850 F.P.S. - 1000F.P.S. for an all round hunting plinking load for where I live. Will be trying the HS-6 loads in the .44 along with the .45 Colt using loads John Linebaugh has written about. All the best and keep your powder dry.

Boolit Master
    Don Purcell,

I guess I am built wrong. I have tried both round back and square back trigger guards on Super Blackhawks and both styles whack the daylights out of my middle finger on my strong hand.

My Mountain Gun, Redhawk and a Super Redhawk are fine with the exception of an occasional whack from my Redhawk.

I think that Smith & Wesson was right to boost the magnum as high as they did but the error was that ammo makers did not create reduced loads in a variety nor quantity needed.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Three44s, your not built wrong, I've been whacked too. My usual packin' gun is my 4" Model 29 loaded with LBT 280 gr. WFN over 20.5 of WW296. Been using Unique for mid-range loads but HS-6 is a powder I am going to try. We'll see what happens.

Boolit Master
    Enjoy

Three44s

Boolit Master

Not about 44 mag. but when I acquired my John Linebaugh .475, I called John to ask about build date. While we talked he threw in that a good load to start with was 13 gr of HS6. Turns out that HS6 is listed for a lot of loads in various cartridges in the load manuals.

I've had that gun for about 10 years now and the heavy boolits over H110/296 are never used now that I've advanced in age. HS6 is about as strong as I can take now.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have worked a bit with HS6 in my 480 Ruger and was aware that it was listed and worked well in the 475 Linbaugh.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master
    just tested it out in my 44 mag
    between 11-13 gr
    found 11.0 gr's to be the most accurate
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Did you notice a difference in recoil as opposed to other similar velocity loads?

Boolit Master
    Wasn't it in the movie Magnum Force where Harry said he actually shot .44 specials in his model 29 because of the recoil? I know it's a movie, but makes sense with something like Skeeter's load most of the time if you're not trying to play macho man. GF

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of HS-6 in 357 and 44 magnums. I found that at 9 grains under a Campro 158 plated it cleans up very well and is really accurate from a 6 inch 28. Like others 12 grains appears to be the number that works in my SBH using a Campro 240 grain plated bullet and I use magnum primers in both.

Boolit Master
    Good stuff

Easy to measure, so easy a Cave Man can get accurate throws, easy on the paws when you fire them, plenty of power for most field work (I draw the line with dances with bears) and a handgun already less prone to lead the internals ..... just about wipes out leading.

What’s not to like?

Enjoy!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-04-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12