Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Henry repeating Arms 1860 Iron frame Bore Dia.

Boolit Mold

Henry repeating Arms 1860 Iron frame Bore Dia.

I Have a new Henery coming in tomorrow and I am trying to order loading equipment for it. Dose anybody here own one and load for it. I need to know weather it takes a .427 or a .429 bullet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Since Henry and all other lever gun manufacturers chamber for .44 Mag. It is safe to assume they use the same barrel for both 44-40 and .44 Mag. I have not heard of any new manufacturer using the the original.427” barrel. A bullet closer to .44 Mag dimensions is where you start but it has to fit the 44-40 chamber and be suitable for a lever gun. Accurate Moulds has several excellent moulds for the 44-40 that meet the requirements of correct profile. My Win/Miroku 1873’s 44-40 uses a ,430” bullet with Winchester brass and .429” with Remington brass. Modern 44-40 WCF barrels are ,44 Mag. Barrels chambered for either. I would order a mould at min. .430” and a .429 sizing die.

Boolit Master
    You could buy a package of various sized egg (shaped like footballs) sinkers from a bait shop, then drive the smallest one that's fatter than the bore down the barrel, and measure it. Sinkers are one of the few things made of pure, soft lead. Don't use "lead" buckshot, it's usually alloyed to make it harder.

Boolit Mold
    Rifle arrived today so I will be ordering dies and a bullet mold.

Boolit Grand Master

Brass frame or steel frame?
    Watch oal length close as the lifter is also the cartridge stop to long and wont feed up to short and next cartridge is out and wont allow lifter to raise.
    When shooting watch forward hand placement you have to move the hand to allow follower to pass by or the lever /handle stops pushing rounds back.

Boolit Master

I use the same .430 bullets in mine that I use in my 44 mag.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle