WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New ingot molds, angle iron

Boolit Buddy

New ingot molds, angle iron

Did a little work for a guy awhile back and to pay me back he agreed to weld up some angle iron molds. Just got the first two last week, one 6" the other 5 1/4" for some reason. Wouldn't call it welding, more like bubble gumming them together, however they worked like a charm. 1 1/2" angle, welded three abreast, with the same angle closing off the ends with some draft to aid releasing the ingot. The 6" ingots weighed 2 lbs, the 5 1/4" 1 5/8 lbs. One real advantage aside from ease of stacking is that they seem to cool much faster than the muffin tins allowing for a faster pace in emptying a large batch of alloy. They have more air under and around the mold and the elongated shape alloys them to setup much faster.
    Now to get some 2" channel iron for bulk storage ingots. My muffin tins are starting to go to pieces, time to replace them.

Banned
    My latest molds (courtesy of joeleadslinger) 1 1/2 x 1 x 5 1/4. Back went out and haven't got to try them yet

finally cast with them

I also like the 1 1/2 angle molds

They stack fairly well
    Last edited by Conditor22; 08-27-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like those channel molds for bulk storage. Wish I'd of had him put 4 or 5 of the angles together instead of just the 3. Really wish my brother hadn't burnt up my welder!

Boolit Master

Those look awesome!
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    I think I have seen them before.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Conditor. Nice looking stash of sorted lead. I bought a 6# gold ingot mold and emptied all my muffin tins and pour the lead into the 6# ingot ,,, all 1740 pounds now stacked by alloy
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

The more angles, the heavier the result - and the hotter too. Three together is "suitable" for most and "bubblegum" works rather than use "too much" of the expensive welding rod.

Great looking stash GRMPS and those are some AWESOME chunks of lead you have poured to shoot down range. About a half pound each I suppose...hehe.

[LATE NOTE: fixed math to correct for units - thanks BURNT FINGERS] Just tin...and at 2%, it goes a looong way (enough for 300#'s of lead and WW's).

Last edited by Land Owner; 08-20-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

You guys have awesome set-ups...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_164158.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	246934 you can keep your bubblegum welds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190816_153951.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	246935

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    The more angles, the heavier the result - and the hotter too. Three together is "suitable" for most and "bubblegum" works rather than use "too much" of the expensive welding rod.

Great looking stash GRMPS and those are some AWESOME chunks of lead you have poured to shoot down range. About a half pound each I suppose...hehe.

Just tin...and at 2%, it goes a looong way (enough for 2.5 TONS of lead and WW's).

Ya might want to check your math there.

2.5 tons = 5000 lbs. 2% of that is 100 lbs.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    They look good indeed.

Conditioner22 - I assume the numbers on the end are the BHN? did you test the bar or did you cast a few projectiles and test them? As when i do my hardness testing, i cast a few from the pot and add lino as required to get to my required hardness then pour the entire pot then start again so i know it's right.

I had a length of 3 or 4" angle that i cut into 7 pieces, welded ends and handles on, they work out to be around 2 - 2.5kg each from memory. I'll try and get some pics when time allows, the moulds don't stack great, but the ingots sure do. I kept the popcorn to a minimum, but as i welded from the outside, it wasn't an issue to cause the ingots to stick, they drop super easy. I even painted them with high temp paint to prevent rusting.

I brought home a heap of buckets of range scrap, when melted, the recovered 320kg fitted into quite a small plastic tray, it doesn't look like much, but boy that tray has it's new home and will not move till empty.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Ya might want to check your math there.

2.5 tons = 5000 lbs. 2% of that is 100 lbs.
    You are RIGHT. I MIXED units of ounces and said pounds. Enough tin for 5000 OUNCES (divide by 16 and get...) 300#'s (+/-). Good catch and I fixed my OP and gave you credit.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    You are RIGHT. I MIXED units of ounces and said pounds. Enough tin for 5000 OUNCES (divide by 16 and get...) 300#'s (+/-). Good catch and I fixed my OP and gave you credit.
    I just didn't want some new guy to get confused. I also wish I had 100 lbs of tin.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I like Conditor's molds and ingots, but I also like his storage shelf: simple but solid, strong, practical and no nonsense. Looks like a good old fashioned made in the USA product.

Boolit Master
    These were one of the few things that were still usable after the fire. Of course I had to run a needle scaler to knock the scale. 2x1/8 angle and strap, ingots are 7 inches long, about 5 lbs. Angle ends were cut 7 degrees for easy release. Welded from the backside. If the fit is close that's good enough they don't need to be water tight. Mine cool enough between pours that the ingots have slightly rounded corners, lead doesn't get in the cracks. Right pic is when they were new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windgrd01.jpg   IngotMolds.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

I'm lucky enough to have collected the factory type ingot molds over the last 45yrs.
    So I separate alloys by Ingot imprint. I think I've got 20 or so. Lyman ingots are #2 Alloy, Ohaus is Linotype and so on.

My last ingot mold is a Lodge Scone Pan, seven 2 1/2 lb ingots. But it takes a lot longer to cool off then a set of 4 ingots.

But they are beautiful. And I got the Lodge pan from Ralphs (Kroeger) on sale for blowout; less the $11.00. Makes Beautiful ingots. Yeah I know I already said that.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Finally got some pics of my ingot moulds

Name:	20190826_163632.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	247361

Name:	20190826_163657.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	247362

They drop ingots that weigh about 4kg each. Being triangles, they drop out well, and stack pretty well too

These ingots are just the initial clean to get most of the crud out, i then re-melt and blend to get the hardness i'm looking for. More work i know, but this way i can blend when i want, and the ingots take up a whole lot less space than the range scrap does.

Boolit Master
    Nice!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.