Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/handgun-or-pistol-defense-against-bear-at

Boolit Grand Master

Handgun or Pistol Defense Against Bear Attack: 73 cases, 96% Effective

Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-18-2019 at 05:02 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing the article.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    ..saw that a few months ago....bottom line appears to be, any gun is better than no gun....

Boolit Grand Master

This version is an updated one that covers about double the cases. It was published on August 12, 2019
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thank you for posting . I was wonder about of what I hear some say will not or will work. From this it show what ever you got use it and place the shot right.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link .
    Scary stuff, would have had much different outcomes if the people were unarmed .
    We take family vacations once in a while to hiking areas with large animals with 3 to 4 generations of family have had a close surprise meeting with a black bear at about 20' in the dark right beside the cabin we were staying in . That was the last time I carried a 3" 9mm there . 4" 357 and up for me in the mountains. We have also had many encounters with Elk in tight quarters great to see them like that but I don't trust any wild animal they can be very unpredictable . I always relax when we get a little distance between the animals and the grandkids .

Wow very interesting thanks. Kinda one of those “of course it does” moments for me. I’ve heard the “bounce off their skull and piss them off” silliness and I’d thought, well, what about body shots? Yeah a bear has thick skin but an FMJ 9mm will penetrate that skin and surely either force a reconsideration, or worse, harm the bear fatally and as it turns out this is true. I’m especially impressed by the 22lr cases, and noted that the one that didn’t work was against a polar bear, known to be the biggest and scariest of all bears.
    So the take away is that I will be more comfortable with my 9mm now, but I will load it with FMJ when in bear country.

Now we need this same study with moose.

Boolit Buddy
    We are having more and more Black Bear attacks in Colorado. I would be carrying either my 44 Special or 45 ACP Sig. Both with stout loads. These libs just don't want to admit that hand guns are useful tools for self defense.

Boolit Master
    What bothers me is the number of people who will use this data to go into bear country with smaller calibers and not know how to use them to stop a determined bear attack.

Yes, just as with people defense, any gun is better than none, but some are much better than others and the person using it is key to an outcome.

Vendor Sponsor

I always say a person should use and carry the biggest caliber they can shoot accurately.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.