Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart troubles

Banned
    Ask your Dad if he enjoys living. Without the bypass his chances of living a longer life will diminish. I'm not a Dr. but I have had heart attacks and currently have 5 stints. When they put in the last 2 they wanted to do a bypass and I was bull headed and told them no unless it was the only way of keeping me alive. Today several years later I find myself having a hard time breathing that is getting enough air to do the normal things I enjoy. Now on medicare its harder to get things done than it was when I payed for Blue Cross and Blue Shield before I retired.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. They now have a plan going forward, which involves a quintuple bypass in the very near future.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Good. I can relate to your dad so understand how hard it is to surrender to surgery but God is giving him the chance to live and be productive.

I hear the concerns and understand why people respond to illness they way they do. I am 77 with several incurable diseases, two of which are a forms of blood cancer and the other is just a nusance. I can only say that death is certain for all of us, so no need to run from it as hard as we can. Our primary concen should be being spiritualy prepared for when the end of this life comes. Doing so will also make the ending time much easier for us and our families.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I had my double by-pass surgery 13 years ago. Funny thing, they told me my surgeon was Dr. Ewy. Crap! 25 years before, when I was a Research Assistant @ Univ. Hosp, Dr. Gordon Ewy was in charge of cardiology, and I wasn't happy about having an eighty-year-old guy cutting on my pumper. Turned my surgeon was Gordon's nephew...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I'm very worried right now because some other health issues are being diagnosed that could mean them not being able to do surgery at all. It's been a rough day.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear and in there and we will continue to pray for him and your family.

Boolit Master
    Eleven heart attacks, 8 heart cathertisations and 2 stents. Per cardologist no heart damage . He says I am weird . Chest pains send me to an ER. Have a friend that 20 years ago was asked if he wanted his bypass before or after he had a heart attack. He chose before . He picked the wrong parents and has had several heart problems. 20 years ago bypasses were the treatment for blocked heart arteries. Now alot of people get stents before bypasses. There have been some anti Dr posts in this thread. If you do have a heart problem find a good cardologist and ignore know-it-alls and listen to your Dr.You may not live to 100 but you should live longer and be more comfortable.
    fatelk good luck with your father.

Boolit Master

Just an update: surgery was today. They were only able to do one bypass due to his condition and the fact that they've determined he also has leukemia. He's in rough shape. My mom is taking it hard too. As I understand they're going to discuss further treatment once he gains a measure of recovery from this. They've got a long hard road ahead.

I think apart from the obvious physical it's terribly humbling going from being a strong, independent, hard-working farmer to being totally dependent on doctors for your very survival. I feel terrible being so far away. Part of me wants to buy a plane ticket and go try to help, but at this point I'd just be in the way. I'll take the family for a good visit maybe in a few months.

Thanks for the update. I suspect he has a long hard row to hoe with lots of changes to make.
    I'll be praying for him and family.

Boolit Master

Just an update: still in the hospital recovering. He's healing up but still has trouble with fluid in the lungs. I was hoping recovery would be quicker and better. It's going to be a long haul I think.

Prayers for your dad

Boolit Master

Any of you all out there that might be putting off seeing a doctor about possible health trouble, don't put it off too long. He waited far longer that he should have, back in the hospital with complications. It's not good.

You and your dad are in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Not sure about the prognosis for open heart surgery for someone in their 70's
    My wife had a triple bypass at 70. It was supposed to be a quintuple bypass and a pig valve, but apparently there were problems interpreting the diagnostic tests or something. I asked the doctor if that meant we were getting a discount, but he acted like he was Not Amused...

She went into the hospital, they operated a few hours later, next day mostly zonked out, third day up, walking, and came home.

Used-to they'd keep patients for weeks, but now they boot them out as fast as they can; less chance of picking up some kind of infection, etc. Unfortunately hospitals tend to be full of sick people...

It's major surgery, but it's pretty much assembly-line stuff now; most surgeons will batch them up an do several in a morning. And a lot of times the patients are in rather poor shape to start with, but getting the bypass fixes a lot of that.

They take the veins they need out of a leg. Almost everyone says that the leg hurts long after their chest is completely healed. Can't win 'em all, I guess...

Boolit Master

My dad passed away last night.

Boolit Buddy
    My Condolences to You and Your Family.

Boolit Master

Sorry to read this. My condolences to you and your family.

James

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    My condolences to you and yours Sir.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast